• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Vm throttle speeds ??? What are you getting?

neoison

Jun 13, 2014
My data tests 10mbps before 2.5gb cap.. and after .18mbps or 30kbps max on full bars 4G service. On VM Optimus F3 v6 firmware. :(

Richmond Indiana

I called Virgin mobile about it and they claim the throttle is 256kb. Not 30kb. What are you all getting before and after? Please test your phone with full bar signal 4G or 3G..

My data tests 10mbps before 2.5gb cap.. and after .18mbps or 30kbps max on full bars 4G service. On VM Optimus F3 v6 firmware. :(

Richmond Indiana

I called Virgin mobile about it and they claim the throttle is 256kb. Not 30kb. What are you all getting before and after? Please test your phone with full bar signal 4G or 3G..

I've never been throttled. Then again, I'm lucky to be in areas most of the time with plenty of WiFi. VM is correct about the throttle speed. The reason you're getting 30kb may be due to a lot of folks in your area using the cell networks, perhaps for the same reason that you're using it: not many other options for internet.

Upvote 0
Most likely that is 30KBps not 30Kbps if it was 30Kbps then that would be too slow to even load a web page within 10-20minutes. The correct throttling speed is actually 128Kbps it use to be 256Kbps and before that there was no throttle at all. The company is getting greedy and likes to say things that aren't true. Like we are throttling it so everyone gets the same quality of service. Well in some areas that may be true since they don't have enough towers to support that amount of users with unlimited and no throttling. But some places like where I am I have had a steady 10Mbps and it has never went slower than that with the service glitch. I think they are just too stubborn to give people what they need. As 128Kbps these days isn't even barely good enough to load a page let alone stream a video. But I guess that is what they want. They just want everyone not to use little to no data so then they can get a lot of money and have to spend little to none of it for maintaining there equipment to deal with customers needs. Basically they don't care about their customers anymore and I really hope everyone realizes that soon and cancel their service and not go back with them until they make a reasonable compromise. Until then I am going to say the heck with them.

Upvote 0
Most likely that is 30KBps not 30Kbps if it was 30Kbps then that would be too slow to even load a web page within 10-20minutes. The correct throttling speed is actually 128Kbps it use to be 256Kbps and before that there was no throttle at all. The company is getting greedy and likes to say things that aren't true. Like we are throttling it so everyone gets the same quality of service. Well in some areas that may be true since they don't have enough towers to support that amount of users with unlimited and no throttling. But some places like where I am I have had a steady 10Mbps and it has never went slower than that with the service glitch. I think they are just too stubborn to give people what they need. As 128Kbps these days isn't even barely good enough to load a page let alone stream a video. But I guess that is what they want. They just want everyone not to use little to no data so then they can get a lot of money and have to spend little to none of it for maintaining there equipment to deal with customers needs. Basically they don't care about their customers anymore and I really hope everyone realizes that soon and cancel their service and not go back with them until they make a reasonable compromise. Until then I am going to say the heck with them.
30kbits equates to roughly 3k bytes per sec and the current avg web page size is 1.3 megabytes- so almost 450 secs to load. Pages designed for mobile are MUCH smaller.

Upvote 0
yep Robaho you hit the nail on the head.. 1.3mb per page at 30kb per sec = 43 1/3 secs to load. When an app on my phone updates? Its completely 100% unusable. But then I call VM and the reset the data once again. They are working on the issue. Not all towers are throttling the same. I need to go out and hit a different tower, update my PRL and confirm this.

Upvote 0
yep Robaho you hit the nail on the head.. 1.3mb per page at 30kb per sec = 43 1/3 secs to load. When an app on my phone updates? Its completely 100% unusable. But then I call VM and the reset the data once again. They are working on the issue. Not all towers are throttling the same. I need to go out and hit a different tower, update my PRL and confirm this.

If its 30 kilobit it is 450 secs, 30 kilobyte and its 45 secs. If its 300 kilobit, and 3G is 1.5 megabit, it is roughly 5x slower than 3G. If its 30 kilobit, then it is 50x slower...

Upvote 0
I am surprised that you get 30KBps I can't even barely get 20KBps if I am lucky. And even then it is still too slow. I was going to be going with credo mobile but my credit rating isn't good enough so I may end up getting stuck with Sprint and have to do a $50 deposit just to get truly unlimited data as they say they are suppose to have.

Upvote 0
What a joke this throttling is. I guess this is much better compared to last night where I was only getting 0.05 mbps down and 0.02 mbps up. It won't allow me to paste the image link here. Throttling even slower to existing customers shouldn't of happened. Only to new customers. Remember the Broadband2Go bait and switch throttle? The people who were grandfathered into the $40/unlimited plan received throttle AFTER 5GBs and the plan for new customers cost $50 BUT throttled at 2.5GBs? This is how it should be except subtitute the original throttled speeds (256kbps) for the 5GBs (you know what I'm getting at?)!!!!!!

Richmond Indiana

Upvote 0
yes I am sure of my speeds.. 2-3mb per sec before cap and 30kb per sec after.

1000kb = 1mb.

I have called VM 5-10 times a month and they just keep resetting the data.

What exactly do you mean by resetting your data? They reset your cap to unthrotle you or they just refresh your device access permissions in their systen ( basically nothing yoir still theottled)

Once I get throttled my data is useless..I can't do anything Internet related.. im in NYC with three towers within .5 miles

Upvote 0
Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/927995112

What exactly do you mean by resetting your data? They reset your cap to unthrotle you or they just refresh your device access permissions in their systen ( basically nothing yoir still theottled)

Once I get throttled my data is useless..I can't do anything Internet related.. im in NYC with three towers within .5 miles

Upvote 0
Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Holy ^&*% I got similar results in LA. Not gonna bother posting mine...

The $60 MetroPCS plan looks good, though the other plans are fine, too. It's practically unlimited everything. If I understand correctly, MetroPCS runs on t-mobile's network these days. AACK! Well, I'll give it some time and see if the situation improves. If not, I may jump ship to MetroPCS.

I just got into another billing month BTW, so my 3g/4g bandwidth has just been reset.

Upvote 0
But, the $40 and $50 plans throttle after your full speed data at the same speed VM/Boost/Etc, 2G speeds, right? The $60 one is the only worthwhile one data wise.

Throttled, yes. 2G speeds, no. This is what AndyOpie150 mentioned over at Android Central when he switched to MetroPCS 1 1/2 months ago:

I went to Metro PCS and purchased an LG Optimus L70 for just $50.00
Got the $40.00 plan which is 500MBs at 4G speed and anything over that at 3G speed. Unlimited talk and text.
Will go back today and get the additional $5.00 Hotspot function turned on.
Easy to figure out the phone. Just needed to set some paths to app folders to the external SD.

That's good news for people that want at least some use of 4G during a month, without spending too much.

Upvote 0
I get 15kb/s max when throttled, and only 350kb/s when not being throttled. Yes, small b there. Are you fellas telling me that I can call VM and they'll reset it so that I can get at least 128kb/s when throttled? (I'm on 3g btw)

It's reset if you choose to renew or change your monthly plan on the spot. It doesn't happen for free.

Upvote 0
daffyducknj, post: 6817746, member: 985506"]It's reset if you choose to renew or change your monthly plan on the spot. It doesn't happen for free.

They definitely shouldn't. They're violating their own terms of service. Essentially they've been screwing me out of data speeds for 3yrs now. I called tech support a few hrs ago, they didn't charge me anything to fix it and I still have my $25 account. I sincerely hope they didnt charge you for doing that.

Upvote 0
They definitely shouldn't. They're violating their own terms of service. Essentially they've been screwing me out of data speeds for 3yrs now. I called tech support a few hrs ago, they didn't charge me anything to fix it and I still have my $25 account. I sincerely hope they didnt charge you for doing that.

Eh crap you're right. Looked at their tos about this issue. Haven't needed to ask for a data reset from throttling as I've never gone over the high speed limit since using VM in 2011.

Upvote 0
Im getting the same results after data cap. Mine is usually from 15-27kb. They reset my plan once and unthrottled me. Happened again and tech said might be the device which the will put in some kind of request and maybe get a replacement. But i have 2 f3s and both have this same issue after data cap. Im in southern Indiana btw

Upvote 0
Im getting the same results after data cap. Mine is usually from 15-27kb. They reset my plan once and unthrottled me. Happened again and tech said might be the device which the will put in some kind of request and maybe get a replacement. But i have 2 f3s and both have this same issue after data cap. Im in southern Indiana btw

It's got to be network related, not a device issue. For slow speeds, I usually get about 30-40 kb in the LA area when I'm on 3g with my LG Tribute. I'm in the DC area now, so I'll have to dl speedtest and see what I get here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones