• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root voodoo5 kernels are here

Well here's another post just so you can think me again:D

But while I'm here I will tell you that you can go private in IRC with a person and that might help clear the extra chatter.
Yeah that really is a good point. I've honestly had multiple PM tabs going concurrently. Its much more effective for getting focused and direct guidance. Just be mindful that the people you think are most helpful and likely to know the answers to your questions are probably the people everyone else sees that way too. So even via PM someone might have divided attention but it is better than the trout slap fest of the main channel sometimes

Upvote 0
voodoo 5 has been fine for me...no real complaints.

just back to the irc thing. i know a lot of people (especially at xda) dont like that everything has gone irc lately.

i think so much of that is due to development being based upon a leak and jt and the others wanting to protect that leak.

also we have a (relatively) small root community and its tougher to remain in the background generally like on other phones.

and in a way given the seriousness of the hacks on this phone, thats not a bad thing. it makes you have to ask more questions to get stuff and (hopefully) avoid problems.

still way too many people flash voodoo without knowing what it is and its driving me nuts...the questions in irc are mind boogling in relation to how unprepared some people are.

sample irc statements "yo i need a good quadrant score to show up my friend's dx, hook me up that voodoo" or "guys dont get new voodoo, the old one is overclocked and faster!"

:mad: unbelievable

Upvote 0
Well Voodoo 5 is a lot better and easier to use now but it did nothing for me. I even bench marked some functions and Voodoo was slower on my phone (in some cases a lot) . Some swear by it though so your mileage may vary Once its complete and you can do everything without having to disable it I may put it back just for the times it may help.

But don't expect too much and it won't hurt to try it out now since you can now easily disable it and the disable works! No mor wipe twice to remove which is nice.

Upvote 0
Well Voodoo 5 is a lot better and easier to use now but it did nothing for me. I even bench marked some functions and Voodoo was slower on my phone (in some cases a lot) . Some swear by it though so your mileage may vary Once its complete and you can do everything without having to disable it I may put it back just for the times it may help.

But don't expect too much and it won't hurt to try it out now since you can now easily disable it and the disable works! No mor wipe twice to remove which is nice.

valid points as usual piiman...i will say that irc is still being littered by people screwing up with voodoo even though it shouldnt be as hard as it was....mostly to do with recovery...still a pita to see it

Upvote 0
valid points as usual piiman...i will say that irc is still being littered by people screwing up with voodoo even though it shouldnt be as hard as it was....mostly to do with recovery...still a pita to see it
/me nods ;):p so true.
My growing pet peeve is peeps who pop in and the first thing they said is what'd I miss/any new [insert flashable zip]. Which is the sister problem to your pet peeve of new people starting their first contact with the "where's my voodoo" demand.
Its tough because I can see why both the above problems occur and the first 34 times I saw it it rolled off like rain, but now seeing it 19 times an hour its getting redundant.

Upvote 0
/me nods ;):p so true.
My growing pet peeve is peeps who pop in and the first thing they said is what'd I miss/any new [insert flashable zip]. Which is the sister problem to your pet peeve of new people starting their first contact with the "where's my voodoo" demand.
Its tough because I can see why both the above problems occur and the first 34 times I saw it it rolled off like rain, but now seeing it 19 times an hour its getting redundant.

Yeah fwiw I usually try and give as much help as I can to new people more so here but like many others I've spent combined hours in private chat talking people through stuff.....and wanting to throw my keyboard with some of the ridiculous stuff they are sayings or failing to grasp the simple point I'm making after the 30th time I've explained it

We've all been new before and im happy to help people out.....and here I must say that people wading in are appreciate and polite when getting and asking for help

Irc .....well. ....lets assume that they were mostly xda folks coming over when the well ran dry there for kernels and Roms. :)

Upvote 0
exactly, I still like this place best for the friendly sense of community, irc has its benefits and its own niche as does this place, there is overlap but they are largely separate and distinct. This place is just more polite and laid back.
Put it this way, I'd send my mom or my child into AF, I would not to IRC

Reactions: nitsuj17
Upvote 0
exactly, I still like this place best for the friendly sense of community, irc has its benefits and its own niche as does this place, there is overlap but they are largely separate and distinct. This place is just more polite and laid back.

haha great comparison saps

Upvote 0
So I've read everything I can find about voodoo til I think my eyes are ready to bug out and I think I'm prepared. But just wanted to find out 1 more thing.. After installing voodoo5 all that has to be done to disable it is go into cwm and click on voodoo I don't need to make the "disable lag fix file"? Am I correct?

Theoretically yes. But the disable file should work as well

Upvote 0
has anyone else flashed 11/27 on it seems there might be an issue. something with media scanner, Im kinda crusing thru irc. 11/27 was a weird drop. jt never actually linked it directly and its the only voodoo of all his tests called voodoo5 the rest are are just date voodoo. Maybe its nothing but I was finally going to jump on board voodoo5 with 11/27 now Im thinking I'll use 11/24 or 11/26 to convert on over

Reactions: davidnmegan6907
Upvote 0
L
has anyone else flashed 11/27 on it seems there might be an issue. something with media scanner, Im kinda crusing thru irc. 11/27 was a weird drop. jt never actually linked it directly and its the only voodoo of all his tests called voodoo5 the rest are are just date voodoo. Maybe its nothing but I was finally going to jump on board voodoo5 with 11/27 now Im thinking I'll use 11/24 or 11/26 to convert on over

I'm on 11/27 and haven't had any media scan issue :thinking:

Upvote 0
Oh yea and difference in 11/27 from 11/24 also?
just some extra options in voodoo cwm, pretty minimal from 24-26-27.

I made this comment elsewhere too so dont take this personally as we've all said it, but when we all ask for the changes I know its because we're curious but it doesnt really change our need/desire to flash the new zip. I mean it would take something significant to be said to prevent the inevitable flash train.

Upvote 0
just some extra options in voodoo cwm, pretty minimal from 24-26-27.

I made this comment elsewhere too so dont take this personally as we've all said it, but when we all ask for the changes I know its because we're curious but it doesnt really change our need/desire to flash the new zip. I mean it would take something significant to be said to prevent the inevitable flash train.

My bad bud should have looked around just saw what you were saying about 11/27 thought it may have been a big change..my apologies again

Upvote 0
My bad bud should have looked around just saw what you were saying about 11/27 thought it may have been a big change..my apologies again
No no its all good. On IRC all the time people are asking for changes from previous kernels or what not, as if it would prevent them from flashing.
Next time there is a kernel released Im going to say jt changed the font colors to hot pink and now its overvolted so the battery sucks, just to see if this still wanna flash it :p

Upvote 0
No no its all good. On IRC all the time people are asking for changes from previous kernels or what not, as if it would prevent them from flashing.
Next time there is a kernel released Im going to say jt changed the font colors to hot pink and now its overvolted so the battery sucks, just to see if this still wanna flash it :p

Wait.. someone has Hot Pink font...tell me how to get it...step by step :D

Upvote 0

Haha that's great saps;)

Upvote 0

I think of more like this
IRC is like going to class and you better be a good listener and note taker. The forums are/is the library where you can go at anytime and find the information you seek. (hopefully) A place where you can check out the information as many times as you like and no one gets over worked or pissed ;)

Upvote 0
I think of more like this
IRC is like going to class and you better be a good listener and note taker. The forums are/is the library where you can go at anytime and find the information you seek. (hopefully) A place where you can check out the information as many times as you like and no one gets over worked or pissed ;)
Nice analogy
perhaps even more accurate is to call IRC the slaughterhouse and AF the restaurant.:p Stuff is surely fresher at the slaughterhouse but you better watch out because there is a lot of ugly stuff there too. Restaurant gets all the slaughterhouse trickle down but its more civilized.
I love speaking in analogies, my friends always say I have an analogy for anything, and I do;)

Upvote 0
Well I finally did it got my voodoo5 no problems...now to see what its like
Me2 I finally jumped in. Funny too, I started the installation and mid install jt dropped 11/27 test2:rolleyes:
I will say Im underwhelmed though. Remembering the great DI01 kernels and even where we were with DJ05 non voodoo Im not blown away at all. Oh well its fine enough I suppose. I may or may not stick with it, given no other kernels are coming out I might stick just to get updates.

Also on the global voodoo news front: supercurio said voodoo5 becomes official today

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones