• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root VS740(Ally) Android Froyo VS740ZVE Source Code

ccsoccer03

Aug 23, 2010
VS740(Ally) Android Froyo VS740ZVE;

Noticed this today. Our build of Velocity is VS740ZVD

Open Source Detail

Edit: Ok so lets get some things straight. No one knows what this is. There are no release notes. No time tables about when it will be released. We cant do anything with it yet. IT IS NOT AVAILABLE THROUGH OTA OR LG MOBILE UPDATER. And I want to make Sav's Post clear as well:

Our best bet to make use of this is to wait until an OTA drops, then we can use it as a new base for the roms. This is nothing new by the way we have had source for all the releases, this will not fix the camera problem or the AOSP issues we are having.

Dont get over exited like you guys usually do. have patience, there probably isnt too much in here we will want to use anyway - there never is.

This doesnt mean ALL of you should start scrambling to go back to stock to get the OTA, I mean think about it, we dont know if they fixed root exploits making it unrootable, and based off recent information coming out about VZW not wanting rooted phones and tethering, chances are this will just include a bunch of snoop code to rat us out for rooting. Look before you leap, wait until theres an official OTA and we can go from there.

Our best bet to make use of this is to wait until an OTA drops, then we can use it as a new base for the roms. This is nothing new by the way we have had source for all the releases, this will not fix the camera problem or the AOSP issues we are having.

Dont get over exited like you guys usually do. have patience, there probably isnt too much in here we will want to use anyway - there never is.

This doesnt mean ALL of you should start scrambling to go back to stock to get the OTA, I mean think about it, we dont know if they fixed root exploits making it unrootable, and based off recent information coming out about VZW not wanting rooted phones and tethering, chances are this will just include a bunch of snoop code to rat us out for rooting. Look before you leap, wait until theres an official OTA and we can go from there.

Upvote 0
BEGIN SPECULATION

I did a little digging, if they are to roll this out as an OTA it will probably be Android 2.2.2 which includes some security patches to protect against the malware DroidDream and also fixes an "SMS routing" issue where messages get sent to the wrong contacts.

As far as rooting it looks like its a PITA but people have done it (with the 2.2.2 versions rolled out to droid1 and nexus) but it is hard to say if it will be easy/possible on the Ally.

END SPECULATION

Regardless.
We will need to wait for an OTA which we have absolutely no timeline or information about. So hang tight, and note that these patches will be nice to include, but they will not improve performance or change the look and feel. And knowing LG and VZW, if they let an OTA drop it could be months AFTER they finally decide to let us know they are planning on doing it

EDIT
BEGIN EDUCATED SPECULATION
So I just downloaded and took a look at the source code, here is what is modified:
BCM4329 (wlan)
Bluetooth
SH
WPA Supplicant (wifi stuff)
Webkit (browser)
iptables (routing)
ipsec-tools (vlan)
iproute (routing)
dosfstools (tools for working with fat32)
dnsmasq (local dns)

and
They added a new tool called
Iperf

Now looking at whats modified in this source I can let you know this for sure, They only changed networking info. This may be 2.2.2 as the routing changes may fix the "SMS bug" and the "DroidDream" exploit..... BUT this scares me. VZW has been very vocal about not wanting people to tether, modified iptables, the broadcomm wireless changes and the addiition of Iperf. Makes me think they are trying to implement something like this.

Based on what I am seeing here there is absolutely NO changes to the UI at all, no cool things we want like flash or improved memory management, just networking hacks, which may fix bugs, but may also stop us from tethering.

The changes to SH make me think they fixed root exploits, also scary.
END EDUCATED SPECULATION

Reactions: TT1080i
Upvote 0
the only way you can get an ota is to remove your custom recovery. You will not be able to access your nandroid backup if you cant reinstall the custom recovery. You cant install the custom recovery without root... SO. Do not... I REPEAT. DO NOT. Install this OTA. Wait for the developers to take it and make sure we can still root the thing. You'll be stuck if there isnt a way to reroot.

Upvote 0
the only way you can get an ota is to remove your custom recovery. You will not be able to access your nandroid backup if you cant reinstall the custom recovery. You cant install the custom recovery without root... SO. Do not... I REPEAT. DO NOT. Install this OTA. Wait for the developers to take it and make sure we can still root the thing. You'll be stuck if there isnt a way to reroot.

I know I wasnt going to at all

Upvote 0
Ok i got a quick question so if you have a nandroid back up of stock rom can you just unroot it if you used soc for the update. All saying that the update will let you root still

As far as I can tell this IS NOT even available OTA yet. but it would be a smart move not to take it if/when it is until everyone is sure what undocumented "features" it may be hiding.

Upvote 0
They cannot and will not lock the bootloader/encrypt it with an OTA. It would of had to have been done at a hardware level or with the initial software. they cant access the bootloader via an OTA update. Way to low-level. Fastboot=Root for life.

It's good to know that it's imposable for a update taken OTA to upload a new ROM and wipe fastboot the way LG Mobile Update can. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Not really new information but i did get in touch with a rep.

Posted by LG Product Pro on 25 Apr 2011 12:51 PM:
Posted by death2all110 on 22 Apr 2011 20:34 PM:

Upon checking the source code site for LG Ally source code to get a fresh copy of the VS740ZVD source, which is 2.2.1 for the LG Ally and the current version of it's software, I noticed a new file listed titled, VS740(Ally) Android Froyo VS740ZVE. I can't help but wonder if this is the source code to a new OTA update getting ready to roll out, and if so, can I get some release notes?
Sorry for the delay... I don't have any information about upcoming releases that I can share right now, but I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Thread is here: http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/carriers/verizon/topics/lg-ally-vs740-froyo-source-code

As I stated in my post on that board, sounds like he has information on the update. He just cant share it with us yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones