• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(VZW) Nexus 4.0.X Update Discussion

Between Romming and OTAs I always end up re-doing my Homescreen Icons and widgets etc.

Does Anyone know of a solution for backing up all your shortcuts and Widgets from the default Android Home Launcher...If it requires Root i'm fine with that..Even if it doesn't do Widgets I'm fine with it.

I know I can use ADW, Nova Launcher, Etc and Save my settings...But I actually prefer the default Homescreen.

Oh I was gonna suggest Nova or Apex because they have that built in. Not sure how to do it with stock homescreen though.

Nova/Apex are built on stock ICS launcher so without any modifications you shouldn't notice a difference.

Upvote 0
So glad I switched to the Maxx. I was tired of waiting for 4.04 just to have a phone work as a phone. I have no signal or 4g issues. Best of all I don't have to wait patently for a update that is never coming out!

You'll probably end up eating those words when ICS is "announced" for the Maxx and you end up waiting a few extra weeks for it.

If someone wants it THAT badly its available through rooting and ROMing though.

Upvote 0
I wasn't really expecting it to happen today, but still kind of disappointed (for those of you who aren't rooted/ROM'd and kind of for myself as I held onto a glimmer of hope that new radios would be in the real OTA).

Oh well, back to waiting...I think Verizon is going to try to wait until the 6 month anniversary of the release...

If it IS in Samsung's hands and VZW is waiting on them, Samsung must really be jerking VZW around. Surely VZW doesn't expect a miracle radio firmware update that'll magically fix the issues people have, do they? :cool:

Upvote 0
I wasn't really expecting it to happen today, but still kind of disappointed (for those of you who aren't rooted/ROM'd and kind of for myself as I held onto a glimmer of hope that new radios would be in the real OTA).

Oh well, back to waiting...I think Verizon is going to try to wait until the 6 month anniversary of the release...

If it IS in Samsung's hands and VZW is waiting on them, Samsung must really be jerking VZW around. Surely VZW doesn't expect a miracle radio firmware update that'll magically fix the issues people have, do they? :cool:

It's a classic case of the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and doesn't seem to care. There are so many different "experts" about who is responsible for the updates and their delays, I stopped listening a long time ago.

Why don't they at least give us incremental updates from time to time? From what I understand, the leaks are better than stock 4.0.2. An improvement is an improvement, right? (Unless it creates new problems that are worse than those it fixes, of course.)

If not incremental updates, how bout at least a "Here is what we are working on" page with status, hold ups, eta (LOL), etc. Nothing set in stone, just something to say that progress is being made (or not) instead of SILENCE! :mad:

I don't care who gives me the updates, just do so in a timely manner or at least tell me why not, and in a concise manor that doesn't involve the mythical new month of "Next." :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I read June/July as July 31st,since we are talking VZW here. So we have a month and a half until we are only a month ahead. :p

haha really...but still, it's a joke that another device is getting a major OS update close to when we (assumedly) would get a 4.0.x OTA.

At this point, it better freaking be 4.0.5 with radios that blow my mind. :p

Upvote 0
haha really...but still, it's a joke that another device is getting a major OS update close to when we (assumedly) would get a 4.0.x OTA.

As a former-Nexus-owner-turned-Rezound-user (thanks faulty mic!), I can say with certainty that Verizon OTAs will fail in handset owner's eyes every time regardless of the handset you have.

I read recently that the Rezound ICS update is supposed to be rolled up with the global phone capabilities and release "sometime this summer". In Big Red lingo, that translates to sometime before the 2012 shopping season begins. ;)

Upvote 0

Yeah, if I had to guess, I would say Samsung gave VZW an update (4.0.4) but it didn't fix everything VZW wanted fixed, and so they kicked it back (leaked 4.0.4). Samsung came back with another version, and it passed initial testing, but the mini-soak test failed. (mini-OTA version) so hopefully it is soon. But who knows.

Upvote 0
And keep in mind that that date is probably when HTC expects to deliver the update. Then VZW will intercept it for internal testing over 4-6 months before deciding the phones in question have reached EOL and decide not to push the OTA.

I do believe I was just out-cyniced ;)

Upvote 0
And keep in mind that that date is probably when HTC expects to deliver the update. Then VZW will intercept it for internal testing over 4-6 months before deciding the phones in question have reached EOL and decide not to push the OTA.

I wish I could laugh at this but I'm at the point with Verizon where I'm thinking it's a pretty reasonable prediction. :bawling:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones