• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WARNING: If you change build.prop, make sure you keep a backup.

OK, having just gone through an update dealing with problems I created by messing around with the build.prop file, I thought I'd post some information in anticipation of the next update.

I like messing with the build.prop file. There are some cool changes that I like. Having the wrong build.prop file prevented my last update. I finally found an original, and was able to update OTA.

Then, I messed around with build.prop again, fixing the things I like, and, today, I discovered that the phone was reporting version 2.3.15, even though I was really on 2.3.340, and when I checked for an update, sure enough Verizon pushed the OTA update to 2.3.340. Again, even though I was already on that version, and was enjoying the updated dial pad and all the rest.

I ran the update to see what would happen, and it failed. I restored my original back up of the build.prop file, and now the phone reports version 2.3.340, and it is all fine. (As soon as this post is up, I'll change it back.)

So. In my case, the next time an update rolls around, I can restore my original build.prop (I left it in the system directory and named it, what else, build.prop.original, and it sits next to build.prop.modified - which is the one I am using.)

So, in order to prevent future fumbling around to locate an original build.prop file the next time an update comes out, I've attached it to this post. On my DX, using this build.prop takes it to version 2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US.

You will need to rename the attached file to build.prop, and put it in the SYSTEM directory using Root Explorer or something similar.

If you are wondering what I changed, it is the following, and the changes are NOT reflected in the attached original build.prop file, and I got the changes from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=771232&highlight=build.prop:

To make the phone ring faster when dialing out, I changed

ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=3000

to

ro.telephony.call_ring.delay=1000

Now the phone rings pretty much instantly when dialing out.

Now, to save battery by decreasing the amount of time Wifi looks for an access point, I changed

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 60

to

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 90

Now wifi will scan once every 1.5 minutes when not around a known location instead of once every minute which will save battery.

I also changed the Dalvik VM heap size from

dalvik.vm.heapsize=30m

to

dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m

To enable the hard key lights to stay on while the screen is on and not timeout, I changed

ro.mot.buttonlight.timeout=1
to
ro.mot.buttonlight.timeout=0

To make the phone come off of the "black screen" in the middle of, or the end of phone calls when you pull the phone away from your face, I changed

mot.proximity.delay=450
to
mot.proximity.delay=150

The delay is almost no longer NOTICEABLE at all.

Attachments

You can also edit all this in JRummy's droid x overclock app using a nice UI. Good lookin out though.

^^^^ what he said. Everything is automated. You can alter and restore stock build.prop settings the app, rather than doing it manually. My motto: Don't work harder than you have to. ;)

Question, I had Beesley's Overclock method back when I was on 2.3.15. Then I downloaded the Droid X OC app from the market, but I never took the Beesley file off of my phone. Then I updated to 2.3.340, and I just recently looked for the Beesley file to clear if off of my phone and I can't find it. Would the update have erased it by chance? Also, did that OC method change the build.prop at all? I would think not since I didn't have any problems updating to 2.3.340, but I just wanted to make sure.

Question, I had Beesley's Overclock method back when I was on 2.3.15. Then I downloaded the Droid X OC app from the market, but I never took the Beesley file off of my phone. Then I updated to 2.3.340, and I just recently looked for the Beesley file to clear if off of my phone and I can't find it. Would the update have erased it by chance? Also, did that OC method change the build.prop at all? I would think not since I didn't have any problems updating to 2.3.340, but I just wanted to make sure.

You might want to post a new thread for your questions. I'm pretty much a noob.

I don't think any update would delete a file from your phone, but unless you are rooted, you might not be able to find the file.

Not sure if Beesley's changes your build.prop. I doubt it.

One of the functions of the build.prop file is to tell an updater what version you are running. As I found from messing around with mine, just because I can make the phone read that it is a 2.3.15, does NOT necessarily mean that the update will believe it. Evidently, there is some other method to check, either with additional information in the file, a check digit, or who knows.

All I know is that my phone would not update without the ORIGINAL build.prop. Others, might not have had my experience. That being said, my advise is just to make sure you keep a backup around. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom