• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Welcome to the New Android Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just use the snipping tool for all my Windows-based screenshot needs...

Thanks for the lead. Here are the three options ...
1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG

... Thom

Actually I'm finding it kinda odd how the "trending topics" are no longer threads but channels/filters (what in most cases would previously have been forums). So if for example "Pixel XL" or "Samsung S6" appears in that bar is it telling me that there are a lot of posts generally for that device, or one thread getting a lot of posts?

Admittedly I'm not sure the old trending topics worked perfectly, but it was clear that it was a thread that had triggered some threshold of activity at some point in the not-too-distant past, and I could usually guess from the title whether it might interest me, or indeed whether I'd already read it. But if I just see a device or app name there it doesn't give me that information, so for me at least it's less useful (but maybe it's aimed at someone else).

I haven't seen this problem mentioned yet. The old 'Funny Pictures' thread did not show up under the new system marked as a favorite. OK! (grumble, grumbile) I'll just select the CBS eye at the top of a page and mark it as watched (I already marked a bunch of other threads as watched this way). Later, when I looked at all new, there was Funny Pictures without a red eye. The top of a page now shows the eye with a slash through it. This is on a Windows 7 pro desktop running Firefox.

Here a a couple of screen captures:

funnypic3.png funnypic2.png

Search behavior is different based on width of screen. Video included. :)

Steps in video...

Narrow screen/browser:
1. Click magnifying glass
2. Type phone name (or something else) to search
3. Does not auto complete
4. Click gear icon for Options
5. Different search box appears (no options though)
6. Search now autocompletes

Switch to wide screen/browser:
1. Search box already available
2. Type phone name (or something else) to search
3. Auto completes

Note sure if the differences are by design, but would it be more user friendly to have autocomplete on narrow screens without having to click the gear icon?

Attachments

• 1.mp4
    1.mp4
    346.2 KB · Views: 106
One annoyance I just came across: I was trying to check my memory by locating an old thread. This would have been one of several root threads for a device I used to own, so I wanted to browse root threads for that device. So I first select the device, which is fine. I then filter for "root" threads using the "thread display options", which now gives me a list of root threads, but for all devices! So I then try to select the device again, and of course it loses the root filter...

So it looks like I can either filter on threads for a particular device, or root threads, but not root threads for a particular device. I've tried this for different devices and different prefixes, and it looks like it's a limitation of the filtering system. And if it isn't, and there is a way of doing this, it's certainly insufficiently clear how this is done.

One annoyance I just came across: I was trying to check my memory by locating an old thread. This would have been one of several root threads for a device I used to own, so I wanted to browse root threads for that device. So I first select the device, which is fine. I then filter for "root" threads using the "thread display options", which now gives me a list of root threads, but for all devices! So I then try to select the device again, and of course it loses the root filter...

So it looks like I can either filter on threads for a particular device, or root threads, but not root threads for a particular device. I've tried this for different devices and different prefixes, and it looks like it's a limitation of the filtering system. And if it isn't, and there is a way of doing this, it's certainly insufficiently clear how this is done.
This has come up before. Hopefully we get a fix soon. :(

I put in for this and it was marked as fixed. What if you click the root label instead of used the display options?

Speaking of which, I think I've noticed that my log in is dropped quickly after navigating only a few pages away from where I logged in last. I've seen this definitely on my Mobile (which drops tasks and browser redraws frequently - my problem not yours) and possibly just now on my desktop computer.
I don't really want you to try to make my log in persist for a longer amount of time (security concern) I only bring this up to say that if my log in is dropped quickly, and I keep browsing threads not logged in, my unread messages tracker will be inaccurate over time.

Is the "keep logged in" checkbox checked? Let me know!

No. I never use the "stay logged in" checkbox.
I also don't ever save log in info to browsers, computers, or mobile devices.

I appreciate that the option is there for those that want to use it, it is just something that I do not take advantage of

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom