• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Welcome to the New Android Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accessed the new site with browsers on the phone tonight. The left panel is handled in a manner that is similar to what was suggested for desktop browsers.

The left panel is absent. If the three bars in the title are tapped the panel slides in from the left covering the content.

This was true for all browsers that were tested ... Chrome, Dolphin, Firefox, Naked, and Opera.

... Thom

29. Refresh on Reply

I entered a simple reply earlier today and the screen did not refresh showing that it was entered and the entry area was cleared. I ended up submitting that post 4 times. (These are the posts that I requested be deleted,)

Doubting my memory I just kept an eye out for it.

I just entered a post and there was a refresh after I did and the entry area was cleared.

Temporary glitch?

... Thom

I accessed the new site with browsers on the phone tonight. The left panel is handled in a manner that is similar to what was suggested for desktop browsers.

The left panel is absent. If the three bars in the title are tapped the panel slides in from the left covering the content.

This was true for all browsers that were tested ... Chrome, Dolphin, Firefox, Naked, and Opera.

... Thom
I think it's a feature of the window width. Try narrowing the window on your desktop browser: you'll see that the right hand bar vanishes first (becomes a list at the bottom of th page), then if you carry on the left-hand bar vanishes (i.e. the default toggled state switches from "on" to "off").

Thank you for that observation. I would never have thought to try that in a gazillion years. All you have to do is reduce the window width by 50% when you visit Android Forums. When you do it behaves like the mobile version.

Now if we can just duplicate that behavior without reducing the width by 50% it would be great.

... Thom

One annoyance I just came across: I was trying to check my memory by locating an old thread. This would have been one of several root threads for a device I used to own, so I wanted to browse root threads for that device. So I first select the device, which is fine. I then filter for "root" threads using the "thread display options", which now gives me a list of root threads, but for all devices! So I then try to select the device again, and of course it loses the root filter...

So it looks like I can either filter on threads for a particular device, or root threads, but not root threads for a particular device. I've tried this for different devices and different prefixes, and it looks like it's a limitation of the filtering system. And if it isn't, and there is a way of doing this, it's certainly insufficiently clear how this is done.

Fixed!

Sorry if this has been mentioned, and I missed it, or am just lame or something, but it doesn't seem to display "OP" or "Thread Author" next to the persons avatar in their posts anymore.

This is on our to-do list for the next round of fixes. We have 5 or 10 left in this round, then will move on to next batch.

:)

Thank you for that observation. I would never have thought to try that in a gazillion years. All you have to do is reduce the window width by 50% when you visit Android Forums. When you do it behaves like the mobile version.

Now if we can just duplicate that behavior without reducing the width by 50% it would be great.

... Thom
That came up when we went to XF. Google said something along the lines of "no more mobile versions and web versions or we won't index your site anymore" so not it is all by window width / zoom amount. That may be over simplified and / or not completely technically accurate, but it's how I remember it.

I don't really follow what you are saying.

With Chrome on the phone in landscape all that is shown is the center panel super wide. That's 2560. It behaves the same as if it is in portrait.

In desktop mode there is a switch that removes the left panel. It defaults to ON. All that seems to be needed is to default it to OFF.

... Thom

I quite like the left panel, though it would be better if the toggle was sticky.

If I were tuning the desktop experience for myself I'd rather have a hide options for the right panel, since I find that less useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom