• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Welcome to the New Android Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhasesOk I have rebuilt the trophy points which seem to have helped, things look more accurate now.
I'm not overly concerned but it still looks like I have way less trophy points than I should have (compared to other staff members).

Looks like I'm still missing a trophy or two as well.

Post/like count seems like a much more straight-forward metric than these arbitrary achievements. This isn't Steam. :D

Last edited:
27. Save As Unread

When editing a post there should be two save opetions ...
Save as Read
Sav as Unread

Sav as Read would operate as it currently does. The update would be made and the unread flag would not be turned on. A good use of this option would be the corfection of a typo.

Sav as Unread would save the change and turn the unread flag on. A good esample of where this would be useful would be like an update that was made a few days ago ...
http://androidforums.com/threads/welcome-to-the-new-android-forums.1121138/page-14#post-7501192

... Thom

Last edited:
28. Refresh Button

The app needs a refresh button or option. In Internet Explorer I corrected a typo in the title of a thread that I posted. It is displayed correctly in Internet Explorer. The app was active when the update was made. It continued to display the old version. I ended the app and loaded it again. The updated (correct) version was shown.

I just tried it again and it is now doing the refresh in the phone app when I make an update in Internet Explorer.

Thank you.

(fixed)

... Thom

Last edited:
28. Refresh Button

The app needs a refresh button or option.

In Internet Explorer I corrected a typo in the title of a thread that I posted. It is displayed correctly in Internet Explorer.

The app was active when the update was made. It continued to display the old version. I ended the app and loaded it again. The updated (correct) version was shown.

... Thom
Swipe down to refresh

Yeah but, trophy points aren't easily understood. It's a number that means nothing on it's own, you have to click on it to see what it actually equates to. At least likes and post counts stand on their own.

@codesplice has 963, @Unforgiven has 9,138 and @andMego has a whopping 88. None of that helps me decide who trust more ;)

edit: between post counts, likes and trophy points...if only one is to be shown...I'd prefer likes. They at least give an idea about how the person is viewed by other members here.

Well, at some level it helps new members identify folks that have a solid reputation versus folks that show up and may be just passing along bunk for information. It can be debated what gives new members a warm and fuzzy feeling, whether that is post count, likes, or points.

Yeah but, trophy points aren't easily understood. It's a number that means nothing on it's own, you have to click on it to see what it actually equates to. At least likes and post counts stand on their own.

Yeah, I'd have to agree here. We could discuss whether a new member finds posts, likes or best answers (the three main elements of the trophies) most useful, or more than one of those. But I would be very surprised if many if any chose the trophy points just because their meaning is not clear. Sure there's the general idea that "high = good", but if I can't understand a number beyond that then personally speaking I don't pay it a lot of notice.

Sure there's the general idea that "high = good", but if I can't understand a number beyond that then personally speaking I don't pay it a lot of notice.
Which is why I'd vote for likes over trophy points (they way it stands right now). If they are seriously overhauled and make sense without having to 'do the math' I may change my mind, but probably not :D

posts, likes or best answers (the three main elements of the trophies)
Of those only one is concrete so actually serves a purpose. Likes and Best Answers rely on other people actually clicking them, making it so subjective. I've read a ton of best answers and not clicked to indicate that, I've read a ton of funny replies and liked them, I've read a ton of good/helpful replies and not liked them. Right or wrong, I'm more inclined to click like for people I "know", no passing them out willy-nilly to noobs...

Let's wait and see what happens with the revamped system. Maybe a separate thread to discuss it too?

LIkes, Post counts, and more will be going into what makes up the points, we're trying to find a good way to add a real value to what people do. 10k posts in the joke thread mean less to me than someone with 100 likes in device forums. You know?

So, the number WILL mean something to new people. Higher number means, likely, both a higher post count and more appreciation of members. Just like looking at post count and likes - You have no idea what really goes into those posts, or those likes - or how benefical, as a new member, that might mean you are to them. It just means your active.

The same will be true of this system, except we're trying to hone value, and that we'll add incentives for people to do common, but good to do, things.. like posting an introduction for example.

:)

LIkes, Post counts, and more will be going into what makes up the points, we're trying to find a good way to add a real value to what people do. 10k posts in the joke thread mean less to me than someone with 100 likes in device forums. You know?
:)

Agreed, good call. [emoji41] Big difference between joke thread likes and Device thread's help. One thing I'm having trouble finding is the 'ol "Best Answer" selection, which I find to be invaluable in most Device/ROM threads.

My recommendation for what is clear ..

Posts • Likes

Mine would be ...

11,244 • 4,612

(There once was the direction for anyone with 5 or less posts to enter a post welcoming them to Android Forums. Easy to do if you have the numbers right in front of you.)

... Thom

Last edited:
One thing I'm having trouble finding is the 'ol "Best Answer" selection, which I find to be invaluable in most Device/ROM threads.

A post marked best answer will be included in the OP, unless it's the first reply.

Or do you mean sorting to view only answered threads in a device channel? I think it was mentioned earlier that it's being looked into because right now the sort includes answered threads from all devices instead of that one device.

Sorting by answered still works like normal in other forums like Android Lounge:
http://androidforums.com/forums/android-lounge.12/

I couldn't find a "best answer" option ..to actually be able to mark something/post as THE best answer. Couldn't find the option

I couldn't find a "best answer" option ..to actually be able to mark something/post as THE best answer. Couldn't find the option

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170226-154340.png
    Screenshot_20170226-154340.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 149
A post marked best answer will be included in the OP, unless it's the first reply.

Or do you mean sorting to view only answered threads in a device channel? I think it was mentioned earlier that it's being looked into because right now the sort includes answered threads from all devices instead of that one device.

Sorting by answered still works like normal in other forums like Android Lounge:
http://androidforums.com/forums/android-lounge.12/

Kade did you see my PM? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom