• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Well, lets get the ball rolling

gingerbreak was blocked in 2.3.4, zergrush was blocked in 2.3.6, got someone in the irc right now who said teh spectrum root (what wa sused on the optimus m+) doesnt appear to be working...

I just ordered the Elite and it should arrive on Monday. I am not going to open it until I find out if it's rootable and has prospective ROMs on the horizon.

gingerbreak was blocked in 2.3.4, zergrush was blocked in 2.3.6, got someone in the irc right now who said teh spectrum root (what wa sused on the optimus m+) doesnt appear to be working...

bummer. Well, I noticed the recover had an option to flash an update from SD. is there a way to get it through that?

That is used for firmware updates. You could look at the Gordita root. I don't think it will work, but. Then there is Odin as well.

I just ordered the Elite and it should arrive on Monday. I am not going to open it until I find out if it's rootable and has prospective ROMs on the horizon.

I would rather have a stock Elite than an OV with a ROM, a decision I already made even if we don't attract enough interest to the phone to get a ROM.

The Elite is sufficiently better stock vs. a ROM'd OV to make it a worthy upgrade on it's own merits. I bought the OV not knowing if it could be hacked, as it was better than it's predecessor.

In the case of VM, the main attraction to this phone will be those who are Grandfathered. If a person has to pay $35/mon and can pick this or a future phone, their choices will be greater, but at a cost.

In the past you could sell a grandfather OV plan, wonder what a gradfathered Elite plan would be worth?

Yes. Just throwing out options. The way the system is partitioned, you never know.
There kind of running out of options.
Although I wouldn't be in an all fired hurry to try Odin. Just as a last gasp.

That is used for firmware updates. You could look at the Gordita root. I don't think it will work, but. Then there is Odin as well.

I'm pretty sure Gordita root will only work on the one optimus variant, but I didn't do any real testing when I made it.

update: I have firmware and will look at it as time allows, if anyone has a boot image for it, or a similar device, I would like that as well since I only have system

Either have someone get ahold of me on twitter or freenode or andirc willing to let me get remote access to the phone

or

Get me firmware from teh version you guys want root on.

or both

Yes. Just throwing out options. The way the system is partitioned, you never know.
There kind of running out of options.
Although I wouldn't be in an all fired hurry to try Odin. Just as a last gasp.

odin is a proprietary Samsung protocol, does LG use it as well? That would be real shocking to me.

Either have someone get ahold of me on twitter or freenode or andirc willing to let me get remote access to the phone
I am hoping to pick up an Elite today, once I do I will let you have at it. The Best Buy in town isn't showing as being in stock, not sure if I want to go to the next town over or not yet.

odin is a proprietary Samsung protocol, does LG use it as well? That would be real shocking to me.
Thanks for the Info, I had know clue it was prorietary. It's a root exploit, everyone I have every used and seen was free and open sourced.
I won't be recommending it to anyone other than Samsung members from now on.
Really? Proprietary.

EDIT: After looking at as many posts as possible having to do with Odin's propriety I have come to this conclusion. A. It is a leaked proprietary root exploit http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/ and http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...3610-epic-4g-touch-root-el29.html#post1587391 and http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...read-rooting-samsung-epic-4g.html#post1568583 and here http://www.androidnz.net/2011/11/at-your-own-risk-how-to-root-your.html , does this mean that everybody that use's it is in fact using a pirated Exploit and B. There is even a version of it in the Play Store by Chainfire https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.mobileodin.pro&hl=en.
So what to do. If it is in fact a leaked (this means an employee made the leak and not the company who will violate your warranty for using it, which is why there is a root counter on the new devices) Exploit than everybody using it or any version thereof would be culpable. Most Sites have a root guide for every Samsung phone with a free download of the exploit.

Thanks for the Info, I had know clue it was prorietary. It's a root exploit, everyone I have every used and seen was free and open sourced.
I won't be recommending it to anyone other than Samsung members from now on.
Really? Proprietary.

its not a root exploit, its a tool samsung uses to flash factory firmware onto phones. we exploit it by using pre-rooted images to flash to a device.

the only ones you have ever seen h ave been leaked out of samsung

BTW, I came from a rooted OV using an IHO GB ROM and couldn't live without the DSP Manager, so I installed the apk and it works perfectly. No FC's at all.

Is it possible you use something like this?

http://androidforums.com/xcover-all-things-root/515581-universal-gingerbread-root-unroot-2-3-3-2-3-7-a.html

I've been to the recovery and it is similar if not EXACTLY the same. But I do not know ANYTHING about how to make it work on our device. I am a noob, when it comes to developing, but I am learning. I tried this (With intentions of telling BestBuy I have no idea how it broke), and got the error similar to "Cannot update with Universal_GB_root.zip" or something like that.

I don't actually own this phone yet but I'm highly tempted. Lack of dev attention is holding me back right now. I was looking into LGs pages and it looks like the source code is available:

LG Elite LS696 | LG Electronics USA

Open Source Main

Search for LS696 on the 2nd link. Looks like that could get the ball rolling pretty quickly once the phone gets rooted.

Thats awesome how fast that was.

I agree we need to get more dev interest, but it's been out less than week, and Virgin went out of stock on preorders. Also, this phone stock is better than any other Virgin phone with any rom. The only thing that will beat this is the Evo, but I'm not letting go of my $25 plan.

Back
Top Bottom