• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Well, lets get the ball rolling

Jcase/bob : Let us know if there is anything else we can do.

I am located in hong kong so I fear that the distance and latency may be an issue if I set up a linux.

I will likely learn how to do some development over the summer

Jcase/bob : Let us know if there is anything else we can do.

I am located in hong kong so I fear that the distance and latency may be an issue if I set up a linux.

I will likely learn how to do some development over the summer

if you have a decent connection, it will probably be fine. Jcase really prefers linux so it may help him be more efficient.

@jcase: Did you build CWM yet?

I'm downloading the source now, don't want to waste my time duplicating your work.

Jerry, good to see you over here. Looking forward to getting this as an upgrade from my V. Just waiting on root and a recovery. I'm sure with you and jcase working on it, it won't be long.

My old phone, the samsung intercept, has a custom recovery that had a root adb shell built in. Could someone build a basic CWM that does need to have any real functionality except a root adb shell?

well the problem is with this phone how would you then get it on there? you guys dont have access to fastboot

Love seeing that JerryScript guy looking into the code for this phone.
Gives me a very warm, fuzzy feeling.....

When the V was active, it was running his awesome ROM, and boy did the phone run great on his work...

Love seeing that JerryScript guy looking into the code for this phone.
Gives me a very warm, fuzzy feeling.....

When the V was active, it was running his awesome ROM, and boy did the phone run great on his work...

The V still IS active.

I really am thinking about getting the Elite for some reason. It didnt seem like much of an upgrade at first, but it's seeming more worth it the more I look into it. :confused:

Very cool to see Jerry working on one of the latest roadblocks sent out by Virgin.

I believe he is referring to his own V.
Correct. My V is now inactive and back to 100% stock, since I swapped over to the Elite.
My wife still owns a V running JerryScript's BACKside ROM. She does not push a phone anywhere close to the way I do. I would occasionally lag the little V.

Sorry this has nothing to do with getting the Elite rooted.

Thanks for the people who are working on it! :thumb:
Need to get more control over my phone.

I am pleased to see this is being worked on! I would help...but have no idea about this stuff. Also has anyone else noticed you can uninstall some of the VM apps? Like virgin mobile live and stuff? Weird o.o

I believe he is referring to his own V.

A new device is a roadblock?

Thanks for pointing that out, easily missed that on my own V when reading it!

Not a new device, I was referring to the software/setup of the device being the roadblock as in trying to find the way to root it and tinker with it. After that 'security update' for the V, I am convinced they are going to try and make it tougher and tougher to root. I could of course be wrong :cool:

If anybody needs to remote SSH my OE then feel free to. PM me for info on what you need. I'm on windows, but switching to Linux shouldn't be a problem if you need it.

Just downloaded the system dump and was curious about something that has just popped in my head.
Something I did on the tablet that I used to own.

I may re-root the OV and see if the trick I want to attempt will work or not. I'm thinking that it will because IIRC when you explore the phone you can see the added ExtSD card. The phone just does not install to it. It's been so long since the it V has been stock so I can't remember.
The trick I used to do was to change the internal SD and ExtSD card in the vold.fstab file .

The OE has a different way of using the internal memory and added SD card, I'm not sure if it would work.

This is the OE vold.fstab file.

[2011.08.24] M3S : dev_mount sd card interface
#dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host
dev_mount extsdcard /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host

Look at the post #111 and I describe the swap:
[ROM] Tsunami - Gingerbread V1.9 12/27/11 [Herotab C8] - SlateDroid.com - Page 6

Wondering if it would work on the phones as well. Think of it the OV, maybe Elite, not sure with the new way the memory is partitioned, with 16GB of internal storage.....

Thanks for the link. I knew about the one for the Elite which for now only lists to some generic resources, nothing that is a break yet like is shown for the M+ which is almost the same phone, but it is 800MHZ and doesn't have NFC and maybe a couple other differences.

Either way, it seems to be a less popular phone, but already is rooted.

Thanks!

I don't actually own this phone yet but I'm highly tempted. Lack of dev attention is holding me back right now. I was looking into LGs pages and it looks like the source code is available:

LG Elite LS696 | LG Electronics USA

Open Source Main

Search for LS696 on the 2nd link. Looks like that could get the ball rolling pretty quickly once the phone gets rooted.

It would be nice to be able to use the Sprint version, but don't know if it will work? It has the mobile hot spot not in the VM version. Don't know what other differences there are.

You also have to start the server in ADB as root... i.e. $sudo adb start-server (in terminal). I cannot communicate with a non-rooted device unless I do this first.

Do you think that if I/community add su, busybox, etc. into the zip you made, then made it into an .img file and write an update script similar to official OP-V updates or other phones that I/community could flash a stock rooted rom in the stock recovery?

Do you think that if I/community add su, busybox, etc. into the zip you made, then made it into an .img file and write an update script similar to official OP-V updates or other phones that I/community could flash a stock rooted rom in the stock recovery?

honestly, I'm not sure. You'd have to be willing to test it, but need to make sure the files will actually flash. I never had my original OP-V on a stock recovery. You may be better off trying to flash the app and binary off of the superuser website. Just download the files and rename it update.zip to see if it works.

Reboot to recovery is short and sweet vol - (minus or down) and power button. I need a good signature for the phone to recognize the update.zip I have for superuser binary and app to flash. With that, I can root pretty easily. Recovery has the most privileges as far as the phone goes, so with a good signature file I can easily flash into root. Outside of that, I'm stuck for now. I'll keep trying to root and see what I can come up with. If anyone has tried to "update" their phone, DON'T UPDATE without first skimming the update files off the phone first!!! They will be invaluable to us here, if there is an update to speak of.

Reboot to recovery is short and sweet vol - (minus or down) and power button. I need a good signature for the phone to recognize the update.zip I have for superuser binary and app to flash. With that, I can root pretty easily. Recovery has the most privileges as far as the phone goes, so with a good signature file I can easily flash into root. Outside of that, I'm stuck for now. I'll keep trying to root and see what I can come up with. If anyone has tried to "update" their phone, DON'T UPDATE without first skimming the update files off the phone first!!! They will be invaluable to us here, if there is an update to speak of.

how would you get a legit signature on it?

Back
Top Bottom