• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Well, lets get the ball rolling

FWIW I could not get the com ports detected as a serial port, ##PORT# doesn't work as well and best buy and virgin mobile refused to provide the MSL (regardless of how carefully I worded and dumb I played). In other words, will likely need a root first and foremost.

FWIW I could not get the com ports detected as a serial port, ##PORT# doesn't work as well and best buy and virgin mobile refused to provide the MSL (regardless of how carefully I worded and dumb I played). In other words, will likely need a root first and foremost.

I have my MSL. They gave it to me when I had error 67. Why do we need the ports open?

No, it is not a root exploit, it is just a flashing protocol, you can use the leaked client or an open source one. It is NOT Designed for root, it does NOT use a vulnerability, it is NOT an exploit.

It is a protocol samsung uses.

Thanks for the Info, I had know clue it was prorietary. It's a root exploit, everyone I have every used and seen was free and open sourced.
I won't be recommending it to anyone other than Samsung members from now on.
Really? Proprietary.

EDIT: After looking at as many posts as possible having to do with Odin's propriety I have come to this conclusion. A. It is a leaked proprietary root exploit Heimdall – Glass Echidna and Epic 4g Touch Root for EL29?? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com and [ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com and here AndroidNZ: [At Your Own Risk] How to Root your Galaxy Note , does this mean that everybody that use's it is in fact using a pirated Exploit and B. There is even a version of it in the Play Store by Chainfire https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.mobileodin.pro&hl=en.
So what to do. If it is in fact a leaked (this means an employee made the leak and not the company who will violate your warranty for using it, which is why there is a root counter on the new devices) Exploit than everybody using it or any version thereof would be culpable. Most Sites have a root guide for every Samsung phone with a free download of the exploit.

Ok, I think I am ready to do this, aka I believe I have a working exploit.

If anyone is able to give me access via ssh to a linux or mac box with an optimus connected, please let me know.

Also willing to do try with teamviewer (but not try as hard).

Contact me via http://twitter.com/teamandirc or jcase on freenode/andirc or gtalk jcase@cunninglogic.com (dont gtalk me without being setup and ready please)

If anyone is able to give me access via ssh to a linux or mac box with an optimus connected, please let me know.

Contact me via http://twitter.com/teamandirc or jcase on freenode/andirc or gtalk jcase@cunninglogic.com (dont gtalk me without being setup and ready please)

Dang. Sorry, windows here otherwise I would be all over it.

jcase, I have access to an old iMac that is running a fairly old OS, I don't think it is OS X if that will work. I haven't run it in quite some time, but if it can do what you need it to do I'll let you use it.

Contact me via Justin Case (@TeamAndIRC) on Twitter or jcase on freenode/andirc or gtalk jcase@cunninglogic.com (dont gtalk me without being setup and ready please)

I can do this, I have Linux on my computer, my only problem being I'm a Linux noob and am learning what I know right now.. so I would need a walk through to set it up

looking at the source code instructions it looks like it will spit us out an .img file. Could a root be as simple as building the source code, adding su, busybox, etc. and doing a fastboot oem unlock to flash the image?

nm, there is no boot loader per say to use fastboot on.

As a new Elite owner (OV was stolen :mad:), it's fun/interesting to see all of this developing from the get-go. I wish I could help, but I have neither the time nor enough of the right skills to be of use. This is just a note to say thanks to everyone who is putting their time in.

- sps

(note: sorry this isn't directly contributing to the discussion per se)

looking at the source code instructions it looks like it will spit us out an .img file. Could a root be as simple as building the source code, adding su, busybox, etc. and doing a fastboot oem unlock to flash the image?

nm, there is no boot loader per say to use fastboot on.

actually its not far from how a few other devices get rooted, build teh kernel source and populate enough of the dramdisk to get it boot far enough for adb to star and then you can start to pull images off and rollin, some people prefer to make cwm with the source built kernel and go from there

actually its not far from how a few other devices get rooted, build teh kernel source and populate enough of the dramdisk to get it boot far enough for adb to star and then you can start to pull images off and rollin, some people prefer to make cwm with the source built kernel and go from there

My old phone, the samsung intercept, has a custom recovery that had a root adb shell built in. Could someone build a basic CWM that does need to have any real functionality except a root adb shell?

Back
Top Bottom