• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are the differences between the Evo and Evo 3D?

When it comes to an opinion, feeling or personal preference, it's impossible to be wrong and therefore arguing goes nowhere. ;)

One of my all time favorite xkcd comics:

duty_calls.png

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
you obviously dont get it, so dont even worry about it

how is seeing something a distraction, IF IT IS IN THE WAY, IF MY PHONE IS CHARGING AND I HAVE TO PICK UP THE PHONE AND USE IT, THE CORD ON THE SIDE WILL BE IN THE WAY

hopefully you can understand now, and if you dont understand, don even worry about it

Dude, I totally get what youre saying +1

My last phone to have the charging port on the side was the Instink-t. Now that I think about it, SAMEsung loves to makes phones with the port in the most inconvenient location. The MM-A900 had the same issue. It makes the phone awkward to hold, especially on long phone calls.

Upvote 0
Nice job! It didn't convince me to upgrade, but I certainly appreciate the effort in making the video. Like many 'og owners, what I really wanted to see for the next Evo was vastly better battery, an improved screen and camera. More speed is always appreciated. We got the speed, but instead of longer battery life, we got 3d gimmickry. The 3d is a nice phone, just not enough of an update to get me to use an upgrade and spend $200. The Photon looks more like the 'ogs successor. Too bad it's made by Motorola.

Reactions: onpointG35
Upvote 0
Nice job! It didn't convince me to upgrade, but I certainly appreciate the effort in making the video. Like many 'og owners, what I really wanted to see for the next Evo was vastly better battery, an improved screen and camera. More speed is always appreciated. We got the speed, but instead of longer battery life, we got 3d gimmickry. The 3d is a nice phone, just not enough of an update to get me to use an upgrade and spend $200. The Photon looks more like the 'ogs successor. Too bad it's made by Motorola.

Thanks and yeah I would of love to see another feature except 3D, like better battery life as well.

Upvote 0
I just became a Sprint customer 5 days ago..I started a 2 year contract with a Samsung Epic 4G. I can not for the life of me keep it charged up. It charged all lastnight and i was able to use it for 2-3 hours today..i made 1phone call..3 texts..used the gps for 5 mins and watched one 3 minute youtube video..then it died..im running juice defender in aggressive mode..im not running anything in the background that does not need to run..i have my screen brightness set low..basicly im sick of it..i took my first Epic 4G back to the store 2days after i got it because it was doing the same thing..not holding a charge worth crap.. i thought it was a problem with my phone but this one is. The same..so im looking hard at the HTC EVO 4G and the EVO 3D...do you think im wasting my time..will i have this issue with any new smart phone? Which phone would you get to use with sprint? Help..what would you do? Thanks for letting me blow off steam..joe ohh one more thing...I dont give a hoot about 3d technology...the reason im looking at the 3d phone is because of the dual core processor and all the other fancy specs..

Upvote 0
Without a kickstand, why does it matter that the port is on the side?
Assuming you will buy an after-market case with a kickstand, don't you think they will quickly catch on and allow the kickstand to flip in the opposite direction? The phone will rotate the screen appropriately.

and what does a kickstand have to do with the charging port on the side ( no I will not be buying a after market case at all ) and it matters because its a inconvience when talking on the phone while its charging, just like every phone that has had the charging port on the side

Upvote 0
well this is my assesment of the 3vo vs the evo. i think the build quality of the 3vo is top notch. the only complaint i have is the charging port location being on the side of the phone. but other then that i really like how the 3vo feels in my hand.

the screen is an odd shape. it should have stayed the same dimensions as the og evo. it makes typing a little harder as the keyboard has to be squished due to the size of the screen. the screen to me seems a little bit more on the yellowish side compare to the evo's screen (i guess that will depend on what screen you had on the evo as some of them have a different type of screen). it is still very bright.

now as far as speed and performance goes, this phone just plain out flies. it is very smooth, no lag. and that is just stock! gonna be flashing some custom kernels soon to see how much i can overclock it.

call quality is no different that i have noticed.

as for the 3d thing.....well it is 3d and it is pretty neat. it was not my main reason to get the phone.

well for battery life, i can't say as i rooted my phone within the first hour of getting it home. but there is not many custom kernels yet anways so...right now i can get maybe 12-14hrs off charge. and that is with playing with it a lot, since i just bought it recently. so not too bad, i guess.

i mainly got this phone because my port on my evo is getting very loose and it was only a matter of time before it crapped out on me and also because i knew i could root my phone. i was hoping for the devs to support the device for the rooted community. there are not that many roms out, but more and more devs are coming around. i'm excited to learn that the cyanogen mod team is working on a cm7 rom. i just hope that some day mik will come around to supporting the 3vo.

so overall the 3vo is an amazing phone. i think that stock wise it is better then the og evo. but if you have a rooted evo then i think that you would have the advantage right now over the 3vo.

i hope this helps anyone thinking about using your upgrade to get a 3vo.

Upvote 0
well this is my assesment of the 3vo vs the evo. i think the build quality of the 3vo is top notch. the only complaint i have is the charging port location being on the side of the phone. but other then that i really like how the 3vo feels in my hand.

the screen is an odd shape. it should have stayed the same dimensions as the og evo. it makes typing a little harder as the keyboard has to be squished due to the size of the screen. the screen to me seems a little bit more on the yellowish side compare to the evo's screen (i guess that will depend on what screen you had on the evo as some of them have a different type of screen). it is still very bright.

now as far as speed and performance goes, this phone just plain out flies. it is very smooth, no lag. and that is just stock! gonna be flashing some custom kernels soon to see how much i can overclock it.

call quality is no different that i have noticed.

as for the 3d thing.....well it is 3d and it is pretty neat. it was not my main reason to get the phone.

well for battery life, i can't say as i rooted my phone within the first hour of getting it home. but there is not many custom kernels yet anways so...right now i can get maybe 12-14hrs off charge. and that is with playing with it a lot, since i just bought it recently. so not too bad, i guess.

i mainly got this phone because my port on my evo is getting very loose and it was only a matter of time before it crapped out on me and also because i knew i could root my phone. i was hoping for the devs to support the device for the rooted community. there are not that many roms out, but more and more devs are coming around. i'm excited to learn that the cyanogen mod team is working on a cm7 rom. i just hope that some day mik will come around to supporting the 3vo.

so overall the 3vo is an amazing phone. i think that stock wise it is better then the og evo. but if you have a rooted evo then i think that you would have the advantage right now over the 3vo.

i hope this helps anyone thinking about using your upgrade to get a 3vo.
As always OCN very well put.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i was gonna flash the evo 3d to boost but once i found out there no roms that are stable for it. i just stuck with 4g besides. it only a matter of time before sprint see there 3d phone is just rip off of the htc evo 4g

sorry but i do not think that the evo 3d is a rip off of the og evo. the evo 3d is a notch better then the og evo IMO. it has a faster processor, more ram, and it has sense 3.0.

i just upgraded from the og evo to the 3vo and i love my phone. the only gripe i have is the screen size and the color is not as great has i would like it to be. plus the dev communtiy behind the 3vo is pretty decent. my phone with it being rooted can now last 30-40 hrs easily. of course i am rooted, so there are more tricks to get the battery life as awesome as mone. also i can make my dual core work faster. i can overclock my phone to over 1782! where as my og evo can only go up to 1190 before it bootloops and goes crazy.

do i miss my evo, you bet. it was my first smartphone that i rooted. the dev community behind the og evo is amazing. there are just so many talented devs supprting the evo still. i mean they have a semi-working ICS rom all ready out now for the evo. it still has a lot of work to be done, but it is amazing on what these devs can do. so i really miss that. but fortunately, i still have my evo so i can still get to play with it.

but please do not think that the 3vo is a rip off of the og evo because it is not. IMO it is an upgrade if anything, but not a rip off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones