• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What exactly is a nandroid backup?

Whats up people I know this has to be the right place for this question. But Iam still havinh this major problem with the not being able to do the nandroid backups with the error saying something went wrong. Posted this at XDA yestruday

So nobody else can help out with this I spent 4 hours trying to get rid of this problem. I was able to get my back up nandroid of CM7 when I first installed everything went fine. And it took a while to get the whole setup the way I had. Thats whith saving my ADW Ex settings and desktop because I had just installed the rom the day before which was on the 6 the nandroid got made on the 7th.

So once I got every back to its original state of course the first thing I tried was to make a nandroid again and Guess what same stupid ****ing shit with ******ed error. Now I have serious problem back to square one. Because I cant save nandroids and cant load my sense rom so I can fix the GPS which is why I even had done this whole mission.

Now when I was wiping the both caches and data I figured why dont I go back to my sense rom before I flash the CM7 which I did. Followed the GPS fix directions exaclty and when I loaded back into the CM7 nothing. So all this time spent was done for nothing. Please someone tell me how to get this error off my Evo. And what doesnt make sense it says check the log file and I do and theres nothing there. So what hell is going on. Sorry but Iam very tired and very frustrated at this point.

AMON RA should really have put a warning or some stop to that option because of the problem it can cause like this one. Anybody in here know anyone thats an expert in AMON RA.

And after I tried to make the nandroid something was going on with the smoothness of the UI it would be a bit jumpy which I have know idea how this could affect that. It gets fixed when you reboot.

Heres the link Error when doing nandroid backup with Amon-Ra - Page 2 - xda-developers

Not one person has yet to have given me an answer. And I really need to fix this because I need to fix the Gps already which this was why I ran into this problem in the first place and now still have major nandroid problem with no Gps on CM7.

Iam running 2.3 Amon Ra with unrevoked Evo. I had no problem saving two nadroids on Amon Ra one for my stock rom and one a day after I installed CM7. I than had to do the gps fix there for going back to my sense rom and of course I had to make a nandroid before I did that. Thats when I by mistake xed all the boxes and the problem one which was the ext sd card which created the problem. I dont know how I forgot not to x that one out so hopegfully some one can help me fix this problem so I can finally get rid of it since this is day 3 of this now.

Not sure I really understand your problem, what exactly isn't working? You said you are able to restore to your stock version... so from there I'd go through the steps to getting back to CM7. (Wipe, flash, gapps)

Also, that link didn't work, so we can't see your problem in more detail.

There are quite a lot of people around here that will probably be able to help you.

Not sure I really understand your problem, what exactly isn't working? You said you are able to restore to your stock version... so from there I'd go through the steps to getting back to CM7. (Wipe, flash, gapps)

Also, that link didn't work, so we can't see your problem in more detail.

There are quite a lot of people around here that will probably be able to help you.

Sorry about that heres the link with the actual error Iam under Evo4sickness also.

My problem is that when I went to do the gps fix 3 days ago I was going to do a new nandroid back up and when I did boxed in the ext sd card which your not suppose to because its for partition for the sd cars. So It gave me an error saying
Opps someting went wrong check your recovery log
So I tried to check my log and in cache/recovery and there was nothing there.

So my problem is now It will not let me do nandroid at all.. I even tried just Xing one of the boxes like the one for wifi from 2.3 Amon Ra and would even let me do that. Cause I thought maybe it might be I dont have enough space on my SD card.
And Ive looked everywhere google for the past 2 days ad nothing yet.

so i read your link Error when doing nandroid backup with Amon-Ra - Page 2 - xda-developers and was not sure if the 2 gig card worked or not. i know that for some reason the evo does not like 2g cards. not sure why but they do. and still no go on your 8g card? have you tried to re-format your card?

Yeah the 2gig and the 8gig both are giving me the same error. Now I cant format the 2gig because thats the one with the Amon Ra nandroids of my Stock rom and CM7 rom. There has to be a solution for this. Even in Xda they said they should have a warning on the ext because I know in my original 2.6.0.1 CW I check all of them and didnt have this problem. And the 2gig that has both of the nandroids backed them up fine.

Yeah the 2gig and the 8gig both are giving me the same error. Now I cant format the 2gig because thats the one with the Amon Ra nandroids of my Stock rom and CM7 rom. There has to be a solution for this. Even in Xda they said they should have a warning on the ext because I know in my original 2.6.0.1 CW I check all of them and didnt have this problem.

sure you can. just copy the nandroid files to your computer and as well as anything else on your card that you will like to save. then reformat your card and then transfer those file back over to your card.

sure you can. just copy the nandroid files to your computer and as well as anything else on your card that you will like to save. then reformat your card and then transfer those file back over to your card.

Thats is true it just might take me while since I have to do this through a FTP app on wifi because both my usbs are gone.

Do you think that could work and be the problem. Because like I said its giving me the same error on the 8gig.

Yeah the 2gig and the 8gig both are giving me the same error. Now I cant format the 2gig because thats the one with the Amon Ra nandroids of my Stock rom and CM7 rom. There has to be a solution for this. Even in Xda they said they should have a warning on the ext because I know in my original 2.6.0.1 CW I check all of them and didnt have this problem. And the 2gig that has both of the nandroids backed them up fine.

Okay, how about this... back up the nandriods from sd cards to comp. Then try formatting the sd cards. Then try it again (nandroid after the wipes) to see if you can do a single successful nandroid at all.

Damnit! I'm just too slow tonight. Gotta stop sitting at the reply page for so long...

Okay, how about this... back up the nandriods from sd cards to comp. Then try formatting the sd cards. Then try it again (nandroid after the wipes) to see if you can do a single successful nandroid at all.

OK cool yeah Oceanbreeze beat you to it. But what do you mean nandroid after the wipes.

Your saying to do the nandroid after I wipe the sd cards. What would be the best way to wipe the cards. Through the phone or using ftp and erasing everything through the computer.

OK cool yeah Oceanbreeze beat you to it. But what do you mean nandroid after the wipes.

Your saying to do the nandroid after I wipe the sd cards. What would be the best way to wipe the cards. Through the phone or using ftp and erasing everything through the computer.

On the xda post, they said to try wiping in Amon Ra, then making a backup of just one ... thing? toggle? option? (IE wimax, boot, etc...)

After you back up the nandroid folder from the sd card to your comp, just format the card with either your comp or with your phone.

What's your situation? Why are you using FTP as opposed to the usb? Are you ftp'ing to your comp or to some server? <-- not that this probably matters.

On the xda post, they said to try wiping in Amon Ra, then making a backup of just one ... thing? toggle? option? (IE wimax, boot, etc...)

After you back up the nandroid folder from the sd card to your comp, just format the card with either your comp or with your phone.

What's your situation? Why are you using FTP as opposed to the usb? Are you ftp'ing to your comp or to some server? <-- not that this probably matters.

No my Usbs are gone they don work anymore.

i would use the phone to format it.

yup, I would too. That's too bad about the usbs... must make it very difficult/troublesome to get files back and forth..

Okay, so after you have the sdcard formatted via your phone, boot into recovery and do your wipes, and a nanodroid backup of say... wimax.

yup, I would too. That's too bad about the usbs... must make it very difficult/troublesome to get files back and forth..

Okay, so after you have the sdcard formatted via your phone, boot into recovery and do your wipes, and a nanodroid backup of say... wimax.

Your saying I should wipe cache dalvik and data before trying to save the nandroids. Because yesturday I did that twice already.

Ocean I saw you also answered a question about a person who tried the gps fix and he said nothing was working until he turned off his wifi router. How would the router conflict signals of the gps or Gps test app. I just walked outside and tried gps test gps status and gps fix app and they didnt work.

not exactly sure how the router played into getting it to work for that person. i know that the gps when first opens mentioning that for best results connect to wifi and gives you the option to connect. how that ties in with his fix i'm not sure. i know you probably have tried the gps fix, but also after the fix have you tried and launch and leave gps on for 10 minutes or so to get a full gps lock?

not exactly sure how the router played into getting it to work for that person. i know that the gps when first opens mentioning that for best results connect to wifi and gives you the option to connect. how that ties in with his fix i'm not sure. i know you probably have tried the gps fix, but also after the fix have you tried and launch and leave gps on for 10 minutes or so to get a full gps lock?

Right that would make sense when your connected to wifi. But I take those data connections off and only let the GPS work by it self to make sure I only using gps and make sure I fixed it. No I actually did not do that step it wasnt in the directions I read. What I did flash sense go into maps get a gps lock which only took a minute. Than I did the code with the msl and than rebooted back into sense went into recovery and wiped both caches and data which some ones said it would not affect the fixt and than went back into my CM7.

Update on the formating sd card I just had to stop the copying because it looked like it wasnt transferring after 40 mintues. Which in the begging it said it would only take 47 minutes but the more the bars climbed the more the time kept on increasing. It got to 4 bars and just was taking too long. So I decided I need a computer so I can plug into a usb. Am going to try a borrow one or go to the Fedex store and the nandroids on disk. Because it was just taking way too long.

But I dont get how the sd card could be damaged and working perfeclty fine at the same time.
And would you recommend wiping both caches and data before saving the nandroid like 9to5 said cause I did that twice yesturday.

Ocean I saw you also answered a question about a person who tried the gps fix and he said nothing was working until he turned off his wifi router. How would the router conflict signals of the gps or Gps test app. I just walked outside and tried gps test gps status and gps fix app and they didnt work.

good question.....it made no sense to me when it was posted but some how it worked.......

weird sounds like you did the gps fix correctly. not sure what could be hanging up on your phone that is preventing the gps to lock in on cm7. maybe try one of the cm7 nightlies. i remember reading somewhere that someone had better success with the gps fix. unfortunately i do not remember which nightly it was.

as far as your sd card go, that sounds like the best option. i do not think it is damaged it maybe just confused. i'm hoping that formating it will fix it.

weird sounds like you did the gps fix correctly. not sure what could be hanging up on your phone that is preventing the gps to lock in on cm7. maybe try one of the cm7 nightlies. i remember reading somewhere that someone had better success with the gps fix. unfortunately i do not remember which nightly it was.

as far as your sd card go, that sounds like the best option. i do not think it is damaged it maybe just confused. i'm hoping that formating it will fix it.

Yeah I hope so too because this really sucks lol. Well I did everything right except for that step that you said about waiting for 10 minutes. I will try this again once I get the nandroid situation fixed. I do get a perfect even faster gps lock with wifi or 3g just no lock when I only use Gps.

How long should it take to transfer the files when I use the usb.

a few seconds to a few minutes at the most depending on what class card.
Couldnt get to a computer today will be able to tommorow. But one thing Iam going to try is try to make a nandroid of just the wfi with a 64 mb sd card that should be more than enough space for the wifi nandroid right.

Back
Top Bottom