• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is better ?

Hi Guys. I had my OV for about two years now and I have enough money saved up to purchase a new phone from VM but im not sure which phone to get. I was looking at either the HTV EVO or the Reverb but i cant make up my mind :confused:

The Samsung Galaxy Victory.
4G LTE radios.
4G LTE may not be in your area yet, but Sprint is aggressively trying to gain a strong foot hold in that market. It's coming sooner than expected.

Virgin Mobile piggybacks off of Sprint towers. They have offered a 4G LTE phone because of this.

4G LTE Phones will eventually replace 3G and 4G phones totally.

this thread made me go look, VM still sells the OV for more then the Elite even at 50% off, guess they know its a good phone ;)

The Victory is a great phone and I am enjoying it :)

I think the HTC Evo V 4G is a better phone spec wise. I personally prefer Samsung as a brand but if you're wanting the latest and greatest between your two choices, get the Evo :)

I wish you would have posted last week!

Home Shopping Network had the reverb on sale for $99.95 with free shipping and all the accessories.Plus a month free service.

A couple times a year HSN will have a great deal like this, that's how i got my op v 2 years ago, $99.95 free months service +shipping +all accessories.

Just remember that if you happen to be on the $25 plan, you will lose that when going to a new phone the OP posted and will have to pay the $35 plan.

The Samsung Galaxy Victory.

I would avoid anything Samsung at all costs.

The Samsung phone I had before I got the Optimus had major issues with its GPS (which both the company and carrier defined as "features" and wouldn't fix).

In addition Samsung violates the GPL license for the Android by refusing to provide much of the information on their firmware. It's bad enough that Cyanogen will no longer consider it part of their official support.

I would avoid anything Samsung at all costs.

The Samsung phone I had before I got the Optimus had major issues with its GPS (which both the company and carrier defined as "features" and wouldn't fix).

In addition Samsung violates the GPL license for the Android by refusing to provide much of the information on their firmware. It's bad enough that Cyanogen will no longer consider it part of their official support.
Does Virgin Mobile offer another 4G LTE phone? No.
There is plenty of ROM development for the Samsung phones. My friend has a Note 2 with a custom ROM that he really likes.

Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean everybody will. Your the first person I know of that didn't like their Samsung phone.

Samsung has always been my favorite. I don't like HTC but I know a lot of people do. It's all preference :)

Hater :p

I really like both brands, what I liked most about htc devices, they are very durable designed opposed to samsung devices.

Not to mention htc devices are much harder to brick than samsung, as long as you don't go flashing incompatible Radio's being s off :rolleyes:

If there was an lte version of the Evo 3D, I'd definitely trade my gs3 in for it :)

You can't hard brick a Samsung device. The Odin program will get you out of near everything from what I heard.

I like the HTC Evo V 4G myself, but no 4G LTE, just wimax. Not even real 4G.

This is why I suggested the Samsung Gallaxy Victory. It has true 4G LTE which is like having WiFi.

This technology is coming to a Sprint Tower near you, sooner than expected. Rumor has it that Sprint bought out VM. VM piggybacks off the Sprint towers.
If Sprint wants to stay in the game they have to throw in with the new technology. This they are now trying to due at a very fast pace.

That's if you can get into odin mode, and depending what you do, there's instances where you can't get into odin mode.

Every device can be bricked, some easier than others.

Off topic (kinda) but I had the Motorola Triumph and that phone was actually near impossible to brick! LOL!

Yeah any phone can be bricked. I thought I had bricked my phones numerous times but thankfully it was only soft bricked :) I've been lucky and haven't bricked a phone irreversibly.. yet ;)

I've soft bricked my s2 once, trying to restore a JB aosp nand from a non safe ics tw recovery.

Oops :D

Soft bricked my Evo 3D as well

Both easily recoverable, well not easy for the 3d but it got recovered :p

You can restore the V from any state of brick. I couldn't even get into Emergency mode at one point.
I'm sure the Samsung phones are the same way. You just got to know where to look for the info.

Just because you had a bad experience, doesn't mean everybody will. Your the first person I know of that didn't like their Samsung phone.

True, but just because I'm the first person that you know who doesn't like a Samsung phone doesn't mean there aren't others. If you browse the Samsung Galaxy Indulge forums (my previous phone) you'll see many complaints. Of course different people have had bad experiences with every brand phone and every carrier.

More important, at least to me, is the lack of openness on the part of Samsung. This is a fact, not an opinion. Samsung has an extremely broad legal concept of the GPL license and has not released much of the source code which other manufacturers release on a routine basis.

As a simple example, I wanted to replace my boot animation on a rooted phone. It's a trivial task and I have my own animation on my Optimus V. But I couldn't do it on the Samsung because they use a proprietary image compression format. This is a fairly trivial example, not being able to change a boot animation is not a reason to damn an entire company. But not having the source code to enable easy trouble-free development for other tasks is the reason why Samsung is no longer supported by Cyanogen.

Here's the first link I found -
http://blog.gsmarena.com/cyanogenmo...zoDwBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-0Pne95mLRkOkOpRKmTSTu1eTSg

Android was designed on openness, and that's why there are alternative ROMS available. Samsung's philosophy flies in the face of that principle.

Back
Top Bottom