• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats this snapdragon bs?

The Incredible will most probably not ship at 1Ghz and will be underclocked. ...And there are reasons for this.

I'm thinking that same thing wrt to the 1Ghz animals.. at least until they can get the batteries larger and/or longer lasting in the same case.. perhaps a 1750 (I think Incredible comes with a 1500).

We'll also likely see the same device at 768 with another name on another carrier for an "Eris-like" price. ;)

Upvote 0
The Incredible will most probably not ship at 1Ghz and will be underclocked. Do cars ship bored out to their engine's max? No. And there are reasons for this.
Already has been confirmed 1ghz just like the Nexus One. I dont think people here understand what 65nm and 90nm transistor manufacturing processes are and how they relate to power consumption of chips. BTW, I had to chuckle when you compared a car engine to silicon transistors.

Upvote 0
Already has been confirmed 1ghz just like the Nexus One. I dont think people here understand what 65nm and 90nm transistor manufacturing processes are and how they relate to power consumption of chips. BTW, I had to chuckle when you compared a car engine to silicon transistors.

I think it would probably be more accurate to say that we don't care rather than we don't understand. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I'm thinking that same thing wrt to the 1Ghz animals.. at least until they can get the batteries larger and/or longer lasting in the same case.. perhaps a 1750 (I think Incredible comes with a 1500).

We'll also likely see the same device at 768 with another name on another carrier for an "Eris-like" price. ;)
Actually the Incredible comes with 1300mah battery just like the Eris AND it has superior battery life. How can this be??? you are probably asking....how can the Nexus One and Incredible be SO MUCH faster, have a larger screen, AND have superior battery life using the SAME sized battery??? you may ask...well I'll tell you...

Eris - 90nm transistors with no dynamic clock
Incredible - 65nm transistors with dynamic clock

Eris with its 90nm CPU core burns MORE power for LONGER to get the same task done as the Incredible.

Finally everyone is starting to see why the snapdragon based units are so superior. Superior in performance AND battery life using the SAME sized battery. Im just scratching the surface here. There are SO MANY more aspects where snapdragon is technologically superior its not even funny.

Upvote 0
Snapdragon is Qualcomms newer SOC (system on chip) cpu/gpu chipset. Its FAR superior to the obsolete hardware in the Eris. 4 to 5 times faster than the chipset in the Eris. Yes, 4 to 5 times faster.

Snapdragon runs at 1ghz and is based on the Cortex CPU core. Eris runs at 528mhz but uses an obsolete Arm11 core which is why its so slow despite the 528mhz clock.

Snapdragon is Mfred on 65nm process, The chipset in the Eris uses a 90nm process which is why you have both very poor performance and very poor battery life with the Eris. Also the Eris chipset does not use dynamic clock speeds which further reduces the battery life. This is why the Eris has BOTH crippled performance and crippled battery life.

Im sorry but the phone is simple obsolete which is the reason why so few dollars went to market it.

That's a pretty fair assessment of the situation, except my belief is the lack of software optimization/multitasking causes these problems. Everyone thinks an official 2.1 will fix the situation, but if it were so easy they wouldn't need snapdragon which will solve all our woes. First gen iPhones did more with less, but this is because of the way it executes code and reserves address space in RAM ie it "singletasks". Eris is doing a lot at any given moment and simply gets overwhelmed.

I went with Eris because of form factor (over the Motorola), and saw many people who said the lag was very minor. Well, nothing frustrates me more than the placing/receiving a call lag. I shouldn't have to clear cache, install leaked 2.1, root the phone, etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's an absolutely FANTASTIC phone that I LOVE...except the lag. Which loves to kick in when I'm showing off cool features to someone or trying to make a call.

This phone is practicing some kind of psychological warfare on me.

Upvote 0

Chuckled because you don't understand safety and efficiency parameters and thresholds? Without adding bolt on parts, most modern cars can be tuned simply through their computer to increase power by 20%. Manufacturers don't do this because 1. the instability because of this, 2. safety regulations and 3. they just don't want to.

Similarly, if the Eris ran at the full 500+ Mhz it's processor can reach, battery life would go down the crapper. Remember when the N1 was finally overclocked? A Droid user did it too and fried his device? Yeah...on a car, it's more dangerous and more expensive. Hence the analogy.

You herald 65nm processors as the next best thing, top-of-line technology. 45nm processors are a few months away, stupid. 1.5Ghz. And I guarantee you we won't see it at 1.5Ghz from the factory.

Upvote 0
Chuckled because you don't understand safety and efficiency parameters and thresholds? Without adding bolt on parts, most modern cars can be tuned simply through their computer to increase power by 20%. Manufacturers don't do this because 1. the instability because of this, 2. safety regulations and 3. they just don't want to.

Similarly, if the Eris ran at the full 500+ Mhz it's processor can reach, battery life would go down the crapper. Remember when the N1 was finally overclocked? A Droid user did it too and fried his device? Yeah...on a car, it's more dangerous and more expensive. Hence the analogy.

You herald 65nm processors as the next best thing, top-of-line technology. 45nm processors are a few months away, stupid. 1.5Ghz. And I guarantee you we won't see it at 1.5Ghz from the factory.
no as most devices as well as cars are tuned way down for efficiency. but whatever I am growing weary of this board and its anti 2.1 trolls etc..

Upvote 0
Actually the Incredible comes with 1300mah battery just like the Eris AND it has superior battery life. How can this be??? you are probably asking....how can the Nexus One and Incredible be SO MUCH faster, have a larger screen, AND have superior battery life using the SAME sized battery??? you may ask...well I'll tell you...

Eris with its 90nm CPU core burns MORE power for LONGER to get the same task done as the Incredible.

Finally everyone is starting to see why the snapdragon based units are so superior. Superior in performance AND battery life using the SAME sized battery. Im just scratching the surface here. There are SO MANY more aspects where snapdragon is technologically superior its not even funny.

Wow, all that and still I don't care. You remind me more and more of Newsradio with every post.

Reactions: Thedarksunlight
Upvote 0

No one's denying that. It's like going from a Pentium 4 to a Corse 2 Duo three years ago...which is what I did. The thing is, with phones, it will not come from the factory fully sporting a 1Ghz clock speed. Can it run at 1Ghz? Sure. But even if the battery life stays the same, not everyone wants or needs that kind of speed. If most people think the Eris' underclocked processor is enough for their tasks, what will they do with 700, 1000 Mhz?

Upvote 0
I think it would probably be more accurate to say that we don't care rather than we don't understand. :rolleyes:

I would agree with you in that sense that people don't care how a combustion engine works..they just want to drive to work, the store, the movies etc. A car, PC, cellphone is just a tool.

Although, as smart phones continue to gain market share and dominate the phone landscape, consumers should at least try to educate themselves a little.

It reminds me of when AMD used to have superior CPU architecture compared to Intel and their processors did much more IPC.

Then their was a huge push to try and explain to the average consumer clock speed wasn't everything, and processors with lower speeds but much higher IPC were better (with some minor caveats).

It's almost the same argument, but peoples attention spans have gotten shorter and shorter!

Upvote 0
No one's denying that. It's like going from a Pentium 4 to a Corse 2 Duo three years ago...which is what I did. The thing is, with phones, it will not come from the factory fully sporting a 1Ghz clock speed. Can it run at 1Ghz? Sure. But even if the battery life stays the same, not everyone wants or needs that kind of speed. If most people think the Eris' underclocked processor is enough for their tasks, what will they do with 700, 1000 Mhz?
Ok, I would highly recommend doing some current research on this. HTC and Verizon have confirmed 1ghz clock for the Incredible. Also, The Nexus One (same phone guts) is 1ghz as well, are you going to seriously tell me the Nexus One is not 1ghz and that it is underclocked as well? How about the EVO 4G, its 1ghz as well, but are you going to tell me its not and that its underclocked from the factory????

Secondly please do some research on dynamicly controlled clock speeds before posting again. The snapdragon does not run at full 1ghz unless needed so that extra "700, 1000 MHZ" you call it will not even be there until needed. Yes the full 1ghz IS needed for Android OS due to multitasking.

Come on now....please dont make me yawn.

Upvote 0

Guess what? The CPU in the Eris DOES run at its full 528mhz ALL THE TIME hence the "battery life is down the crapper". Eris has some of the worst battery life of ANY smart phone.

Yes, I know of the 45nm snapdragon chips coming but they will not show up in phones for quite a while.

Also, is that the same guarantee you're giving me when you said the Incredible is not 1ghz? LOLz. Come on now please....

Upvote 0
Where does one go to become as superior as thou art?

Well, he may not have meant it that way, but most people will just give the phone a bad rap if it lags on them. And getting anyone outside of ubergeeks to understand this stuff is a daunting task

Time is better spent explaining that Android is in it's infancy and will progress, and I think HTC is taking the right approach by throwing mad CPU power at the problem. Worry about software optimization later, give us wicked powerful now. Interim problem solved, back to work on code now that every has stfu.

This is the right approach IMO.

Upvote 0
Ok, I would highly recommend doing some current research on this. HTC and Verizon have confirmed 1ghz clock for the Incredible. Also, The Nexus One (same phone guts) is 1ghz as well, are you going to seriously tell me the Nexus One is not 1ghz and that it is underclocked as well? How about the EVO 4G, its 1ghz as well, but are you going to tell me its not and that its underclocked from the factory????

Secondly please do some research on dynamicly controlled clock speeds before posting again. The snapdragon does not run at full 1ghz unless needed so that extra "700, 1000 MHZ" you call it will not even be there until needed. Yes the full 1ghz IS needed for Android OS due to multitasking.

Come on now....please dont make me yawn.

Well, I too have read the rumors about it being both underclocked or at 1 Ghz, and I think it will be underclocked. Notice, my initial post did not say that it won't come at 1Ghz. I said it probably won't. With devices like this, you never know until it is finally released. So your rants and my responses are all just speculation until the 29th.

RAM is more important than CPU speed. The Incredible has plenty of it and that will be what helps multitasking.

You know who you sound like?
mandark2.jpg

Upvote 0

That's an educated, well-informed post. Lots of info, real info.

Unfortunately there is embedded in your spiel here a disdain for the Eris as "useless," but which is in reality a device in the hands of satisfied users far and wide. That disdain causes your learned data to fade into the background as nearly useless, which is a shame because learned data is what should be the crux of any discussion of merit having to do with these phones.

You're behaving like a cross-eyed clown shouting out the dictionary quite accurately, word-for-word, page-for-page; but all people see is a shouting cross-eyed clown.

Reactions: hattrick
Upvote 0
its all good, this board is not worth getting upset over, nor is anything on the net for that matter.

I agree, but it's a bit like watching an episode of "Cops": you're going to get angry, in addition to the laughter most often at the moronic displays of the average drugged-up, drunk suspect.

The interesting question here and in "Cops" is always, "who is going to make me angry? The suspect or the cops?"

Upvote 0
The phrases:

"If they can't get the love they'll take the hate"
and
"Even negative attention is still attention" spring to mind.

I ran into this often when i moderated the forum the developers ran for a popular mmorpg. Apparently there is a group that gets wet over things like this, the junk food like satisfaction of awaiting replies to their posts & then arguing about it again.

Second in infamy to this group is the dreaded grammar police.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones