• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats this snapdragon bs?

Possibly the worst analogy in the history of the world. lol!!

It's real simple people, the Eris is what it is, and technology in this market is going to constantly leave your current phone in the dust. It's no different than digital cameras. It wasn't too long ago that we were all rocking Razr's and thinking they were amazing. When the Eris and Moto droid first came out, it was pretty clear in every review I read that the Eris hardware was a bit behind, and that the Moto droid was far superior. If you don't like it then by all means spend the money to upgrade when you can.

Explain, please.

I guess the comment about you actually leaving is just another lie. As was the NDA comment.

You should turn into a bat and fly to his house and drain his blood. ;)

He has proven how his biased view towards technology has very little logic and more opinion. Lets let the trollbot hate on the eris.

The messed up thing is that he really believes that the nexus one and incredible are going to be so much better. Apparently this guy sets his expectations too high ergo the massive let down similar to the eris. You gotta change your ways sweetener or you will be let down once more.

Explain, please.

I'm guessing you mean my analogy bashing :) sorry I guess it wasn't the world's worst, just a little off. You had said:

...Do cars ship bored out to their engine's max? No. And there are reasons for this.

A better analogy would have been: Do cars ship with their engines "tuned" to the max? (not a lot of people boring/stroking the average modern engine block, but plenty of ecu tuning and other simple mods)

To keep my post on subject - I love my Eris, but it often feels barely faster than the HTC Touch it replaced. Granted, it is way better due to many other things but the cpu is definitely slow. So I look forward to playing with an Incredible or N1 to see how the Snapdragon actually feels.

I'm guessing you mean my analogy bashing :) sorry I guess it wasn't the world's worst, just a little off. You had said:

A better analogy would have been: Do cars ship with their engines "tuned" to the max? (not a lot of people boring/stroking the average modern engine block, but plenty of ecu tuning and other simple mods)

To keep my post on subject - I love my Eris, but it often feels barely faster than the HTC Touch it replaced. Granted, it is way better due to many other things but the cpu is definitely slow. So I look forward to playing with an Incredible or N1 to see how the Snapdragon actually feels.

No. German car tuners bore as well as tune the engine to improve performance. And they're the only cars relevant, so..

But I agree. I have an ECU tune on my car, yes, the computer to makes a difference. But I can think of plenty of cars that are still "bored" out which coupled with an ECU tune makes a difference.

About the CPU, here's the thing: The Droid feels blazing fast, even when not in relation to the Eris. It has its limits, yes, but it still keeps up with the big boys, the N1 and soon to be the Incredible and Galaxy S. To some extent. It can still get the majority of the new updates and have no problems because the hardware is limiting it. The Snapdragon would be nice, and probably the best, but I wonder how many issues "go away" with just the slight increase in power that the Droid has over the Eris.

Snapdragon is Qualcomms newer SOC (system on chip) cpu/gpu chipset. Its FAR superior to the obsolete hardware in the Eris. 4 to 5 times faster than the chipset in the Eris. Yes, 4 to 5 times faster.

Snapdragon runs at 1ghz and is based on the Cortex CPU core. Eris runs at 528mhz but uses an obsolete Arm11 core which is why its so slow despite the 528mhz clock.

Snapdragon is Mfred on 65nm process, The chipset in the Eris uses a 90nm process which is why you have both very poor performance and very poor battery life with the Eris. Also the Eris chipset does not use dynamic clock speeds which further reduces the battery life. This is why the Eris has BOTH crippled performance and crippled battery life.

Im sorry but the phone is simple obsolete which is the reason why so few dollars went to market it.

For a phone that cost me $0 and was a huge upgrade from my Razr, I can honestly say you have way too much money and too high of expectations. For the rest of us peasants, the Eris is perfect.

For a phone that cost me $0 and was a huge upgrade from my Razr, I can honestly say you have way too much money and too high of expectations. For the rest of us peasants, the Eris is perfect.

Personally, my pockets aren't that deep but my expectations are that high. I guess that makes me a bigger fool. But I didn't know what I was getting into when getting the Eris in terms of performacne. I was expecting a tad bit more, but...

I've been perfectly satisified. I went in knowing that the Droid is a far superior phone, but the Eris is enough of an upgrade from what I used to have. High quality videos actually play smooth (through the Youtube app anyway), and the stock browser is fast enough even over 3G. I'm not sure why everyone complains about it, but the dialer works perfect for me. Irony is that its probably one of the most responsive apps on the phone. Is it because I'm used to there being a delay before I can speak? I've always had the impression that the one second delay is to open a line with the tower. I'm still on 1.5 so maybe that makes a difference.

Maybe I got lucky, but I don't get why everyone complains that the dialer is too slow.

Its 40x faster than my old Razr which sometimes took 3+ seconds to pick up a call after you opened it since it had to load the screen. Heck, if you open and closed the phone too fast, the processor would fall behind and would keep flashing between open and closed even after you stop. You don't know slow until you've used an original Razr. And not the *fancy* Verizon version (with the 2 MP camera) I mean, the original, GSM Razr V3.

I love Android and HTC, but I wish Eris was like my PC..total overkill like it will be with a snapdragon. I've had my quad core for longer than any PC ever by far. Because its just usable no matter what I'm doing. I can re-encode video, surf, email etc. and it won't choke. I want my Droid to run like that, not struggle. Some might accept it, and think this is a minor annoyance. I won't..it's whole aim is to be a ubiquitous device.

A simple portrait to landscape keyboard rotation takes pretty much exactly as long as my ancient HTC 8125 did. WAY TO LONG. It had a 200MHz TI Omap processor. That was like 5 years ago. Un-freaking acceptable IMO. Overall it runs fine, but at times it makes me really, really frustrated.

Remember how everyone hated Windows Vista? Much of that was because OEMs like Dell and HP will selling grossly underpowered machines running 512MB of ram, when Vista needs 2GB to run properly. It slowed to a crawl or programs crashed/locked.

Lot's of people had a bad experience and Windows took a real hit because of it. HTC has done something similar IMO. Again, it runs fine most of the time and I love Android/HTC/Sense!

I would recommend these phones to anyone, just not THIS phone.

I would recommend this phone to anyone looking to get an Android on Verizon. In fact, my whole family including my cousins/aunts/uncles are switching to Android. Depending on their needs, I'm recommending them if they should get the Eris, Droid, or wait for the Incredible. But it's entirely their choice. My cousin got the Eris and she loves it.

I love Android and HTC, but I wish Eris was like my PC..total overkill like it will be with a snapdragon. I've had my quad core for longer than any PC ever by far. Because its just usable no matter what I'm doing. I can re-encode video, surf, email etc. and it won't choke. I want my Droid to run like that, not struggle. Some might accept it, and think this is a minor annoyance. I won't..it's whole aim is to be a ubiquitous device.

A simple portrait to landscape keyboard rotation takes pretty much exactly as long as my ancient HTC 8125 did. WAY TO LONG. It had a 200MHz TI Omap processor. That was like 5 years ago. Un-freaking acceptable IMO. Overall it runs fine, but at times it makes me really, really frustrated.

Remember how everyone hated Windows Vista? Much of that was because OEMs like Dell and HP will selling grossly underpowered machines running 512MB of ram, when Vista needs 2GB to run properly. It slowed to a crawl or programs crashed/locked.

Lot's of people had a bad experience and Windows took a real hit because of it. HTC has done something similar IMO. Again, it runs fine most of the time and I love Android/HTC/Sense!

I like what you said. And I think that is the problem.

You are missing my point. The point was technology will continue to grow. Asking why the fuss over the Snapdragon processor is a stupid question. It's a big thing and was/is expected of phone hardware.

Little late here (actually really late), but just wanted to say, there are other factors instead of just 'wanting' more speed and a better phone in general.

For me, the size is a big factor, and the 3.7 is really just not my taste. Sure, I'd love a faster phone, and I agree with you the fuss is well deserved, but for me, the eris can do everything really, so in the end, is faster all that necessary to buy a whole new phone for?

Snapdragon or Instantdragon or whatever they call it next will always be there. I think really if I were any consumer with the Eris that I would wait a little longer before upgrading to a new phone. There is still a bunch more to be added, like 4G, video camera in front with mobile video chatting (can't wait!), and much more on top of a faster processor and more RAM, before I think about getting a new phone.

In the end, Eris is still a great cheap basically free phone with contract at 3.2 display, but I bought it out-right anyway without contract. If people aren't obsessed as I am about this exact size, I would then definitely recommend newer phones as well like the Palm Pre Plus from Verizon, HD2 from T-mobile, iPhone from AT&T, or EVO from Sprint. But for me, I love my Eris, and won't be upgrading any time soon.

Wish I could just rip out the processor and upgrade it though, lol. Anyway....

Back
Top Bottom