• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When can we buy it?

What site and how much total (including delivery etc)?? Looks like uk sim free is gonna be Xpensive - im gonna go german/italian i think..

http://androidforums.com/43099-post12.html

I used sotel - It was 485 Euros (412 GBP). They used GLS (postal service) express shipping. It was picked up 6pm germany time on a monday, and arrived wednesday morning at my house in london.

Because its EU to EU there's no extra VAT or Duty, so there's no customs delays. Otherwise i'd say stay clear of the postal service!

You might also want to check Misco.

Also read my opinion of it so far:

Samsung i7500 (Android) - Page 7 - Overclockers UK Forums

(It was 'branded' which meant a red sticker saying 'recommended internet pack M' in german on the box - which you can remove without messing up the box, and zero branding on the phone itself or the software. Read that other forum about the voicemail thing where it displayed the german number - fixed after calling voicemail once and rebooting)

My new i7500 arrived today. This dedicated side screen lock button is spoiling an otherwise beautiful phone for me.

Why is the damn thing there? The whole point is that Android has it's native software lock (screen pattern). It means you have to hold and press the small side key every screen time out and then do the screen pattern too instead of a single key press on one of the front keys followed by screen pattern. From the user guide it doesn't look like it can be disabled either and turning off the timeout doesn't solve it as it means the phone won't lock at all. Perhaps it isn't/won't be a big deal for others but I find it really irritating and it was just an unnecessary bit of hardware design which doesn't integrate with the OS. Maybe I'll put up with it but I really hope..."there's an app for that"

My new i7500 arrived today. This dedicated side screen lock button is spoiling an otherwise beautiful phone for me.

Why is the damn thing there? The whole point is that Android has it's native software lock (screen pattern). It means you have to hold and press the small side key every screen time out and then do the screen pattern too instead of a single key press on one of the front keys followed by screen pattern. From the user guide it doesn't look like it can be disabled either and turning off the timeout doesn't solve it as it means the phone won't lock at all. Perhaps it isn't/won't be a big deal for others but I find it really irritating and it was just an unnecessary bit of hardware design which doesn't integrate with the OS. Maybe I'll put up with it but I really hope..."there's an app for that"

if that is true what you're saying, I will develop an application to that will fix that, cause that has got to be the most lame feature I have ever seen!!

Good morning, I stumbled across this French website selling the galaxy without a contract, and at a discount. However I'm not sure whether its sim locked or not, can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Google Translate

if that is true what you're saying, I will develop an application to that will fix that, cause that has got to be the most lame feature I have ever seen!!

OMG, that is actually the best feature imho.

I'm not really sure what u mean to be honest. If you think just pattern lock would be enough you're really mistaken. The false presses in your pocket would turn the screen on so many times your battery would be dead.

If you're saying you prefer an unlock button on the front, then i don't agree either actually, the side one can be presses alot easier.

If you set the timout to never, you can use the button to lock. Short press it, and you'll see the phone _is_ locked. Long press it and it will be unlocked.

Are you saying the screen timeout affects the patternlock regardless of if you press the side lock button?

I.e if you set it to never, pattern lock will never be turned on?

Otherwise i'm not really sure what the problem is

Hmm, after being fed up from getting the run-around from various phone retailers, I called up Samsung Denmark HQ to obtain accurate info.

Not even Samsung Denmark HQ have any official plans yet. When I asked whether it might be another half year, the answer was "very likely, yes". :(

They then provided a sing-song about strategy and staggered releases. IMO that is an old-fashioned attitude that's not in tune with the free market and the Internet, and all they're doing is just pissing off their potential customers. :mad:

I will order this thing online. So, what's the best price out there right now, is this still the best offer?
I bought mine at an o2 shop for only €437.5 and it's even cheaper in NL: €429

Hmm, after being fed up from getting the run-around from various phone retailers, I called up Samsung Denmark HQ to obtain accurate info.

Not even Samsung Denmark HQ have any official plans yet. When I asked whether it might be another half year, the answer was "very likely, yes". :(

They then provided a sing-song about strategy and staggered releases. IMO that is an old-fashioned attitude that's not in tune with the free market and the Internet, and all they're doing is just pissing off their potential customers. :mad:

I will order this thing online. So, what's the best price out there right now, is this still the best offer?

it does seem that the roll out of this phone has been very poor, a slow roll out simply will not work in this day an age because if you wait for than a few months then some one else will have come up with some thing better and everyone that was interested will have moved on!

supposed to be out in the Uk this week, so we will see!

hmm maybe, or they just hiked the price on ebay like everyone else does. You can order from the website using paypal, or send them a message through ebay.

Ye i thought it might be an "ebay price", but to me that just seems stupid - surely sotel will want to be taking maximum advantage of this short period where the samsung isnt available in other countries, and trying to drive people to buy it early from them, not "put it out there at a rip-off price and hope a few silly souls will jump at it's availability"!

I gotta wait for my card on my paypal a/c to be linked and confirmed before i can buy anyway so it'l be another few days for me regardless. Maybe there'll be an expansys announcmenet by then or something.

I gotta wait for my card on my paypal a/c to be linked and confirmed before i can buy anyway so it'l be another few days for me regardless. Maybe there'll be an expansys announcmenet by then or something.

I usually call up the telephone banking and ask them what the 'code' was on the recent transaction from paypal. Saves having to wait for the internet banking to update, or even worse you're monthly statement!

Yeah its a bit crazy. I'm suprised one of these german shops doesnt put up a good english listing on ebay.co.uk stating clearly there's no extra VAT or duty to the uk, they'll express ship, its unlocked and in english - all the questions people will wonder. They would get sooo many orders.

That is quite cheap if you are shipping outside of Germany. What country are you shipping to? Let us know if it works out with this company.

Yeah, I had the darnedest time paying for it, too. Because I'm going on vacation and will visit my dad in Germany, I had it shipped there (actually didn't realise they don't ship outside). I also ended up having him complete the payment because they don't do credit card payments, and international bank transfers are kinda pricey.
I fully expect him to have the phone when I get there (and being willing to give me only the box it came in...:(:D). I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, I had the darnedest time paying for it, too. Because I'm going on vacation and will visit my dad in Germany, I had it shipped there (actually didn't realise they don't ship outside). I also ended up having him complete the payment because they don't do credit card payments, and international bank transfers are kinda pricey.
I fully expect him to have the phone when I get there (and being willing to give me only the box it came in...:(:D). I'll keep you posted.

For future reference, XE (XE - The World's Favorite Currency and Foreign Exchange Site) offers "cheap" ($22) wire transfers and a small spread. Course, since he bought it domestically, you are now paying the 19% VAT.

Hey hey hey, this is my first post (first real text entry, really) from my Galaxy!

The thing arrived within days of ordering, even though the order page still says pending payment...

I must say that usage is a little clunky, but I expect some of it to go away with training.

Download spareparts and turn animations to fast. And DONT update the firmware!

I already want to thank you kam187. I dont even have the phone until friday, yet I still know what to do and what do look for straight away once I open the package (check the flash and buttons, dload spareparts, dont install any fwares yet, etc). :D

You have surely put a lot of time for this phone and for helping others with it. Thanks for that!
;)

My phone left Denmark yesterday (tuesday), and it takes two days to ship it to Finland according to their website. So if I am very lucky, I'll get it tomorrow!

cool :) you'll love it. If you have another smartphone or with a big TFT screen look at them side by side.. you'll be amazed!!

Also download 'backgrounds' after you get bored of the normal background for a few days. Then you'll be really shocked at how crisp the screen is!

Also if you plan to root it let me know first or you'll posibbly get stuck with the new broken firmware. Take a clean backup then you will be able to choose what you want to do

Back
Top Bottom