• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

which phone did you before the android craz.

ep8703

Member
which phone were you guy's using before android came on the scene was it a smart phone,or just a talk in one end and hear out the other.:D and what drove you to the dark side;)
 
Oh geez... I've never owned a phone for more than about 4 or 5 months.

That being said, I've owned the Hero for nearly 7 months now and still love it!

My last phone was an unlocked Nokia e71.
 
I had the blackberry tour and i do miss it slightly. But i know the future is in touch screen so id have to make the switch someday anyway. Here is what i miss:

- I like physical keys
- The email program on bberry is 100x better. (ie gmail doesnt even let you mark all as read...comeon thats pretty lame)
- All my friends are on blackberry messenger, we had groups and could share images...

But i think android has a lot of promise ahead of it, and wanted to jump aboard so i could experience it all
 
I had a nokia 3100 for about 6 years. It went in the washing machine once. It still works. It is indestructible. Probably one of the best phones ever made.
 
I came from the Blackberry Curve and have been happy I made the switch. The keyboard and battery life are the only complaints I have.
 
HTC mogul and touch both, windows mobile... I thought the windows and the mogul were the best till I got the android hero!!! will never go back to the windows again
 
Verizon Palm Centro and loved the phone..and physical keyboard...just wanted a new phone. So far i love the android system but not a fan of keyboard
 
Hmmmm, so far over the course of the last four years I have had the following (in chronological order):

1) 2 different LG flip phones (worked fine).
2) Blackberry 8830 (good keyboard, browser sucked).
3) Moto Q9m (worked pretty well once you turned the Motorola software off).
4) Some HTC/AT&T WinMo phone w/sliding keyboard (it was a brick).
5) Motorola VU204 (worked just fine, didn't do very much other than make calls)
6) Palm Pre (random radio failures, no decent apps).
7) Samsung Moment (radio lockups and it was a brick).
8) Sprint HTC Hero (works great, custom ROM w/o Sense makes this phone fly + good battery life).
 
The Blackberry 8130, and since I resolved my initial Exchange email issue, I haven't given it a single thought since!
 
Palm Treo-800W

A phone Sprint stopped supporting as the released it. The Treo Pro already for sale unlocked and announced by Sprint. Failed implementation of anything that worked. Only 3rd Party stuff did. WinMo phone with the never materializing promise of an update. Hell, it was offensive to watch Microsoft announce a music app for iPhone's when the Stock multimedia player with their mobile OS didn't even work. Had to hack the hell outta the phone to get it to function correctly, etc. Lol, battery life? on a Palm? I would browse the web on the way to work (Train) and an hour later when arriving I would have to plug it in, losing 60% of my battery life. I was always tethered to a plug to recharge the damned battery. For a phone with a screen 1/2 the size as the Hero's.

Anyway, it was a tortured experience... lol.

The HERO is Night & Day in comparison! Sure it's got some quirks, but every single one of them has a work-around. This phone may just stay in my hand for quite some time.
:)

:cool:
 
ugh..before the hero, i was using a razr v3 lol...but only because of the following....my first smartphone was a t-mobile MDA (not sure the actual HTC model). i loved that phone, despite the winmo crap i put up with. then they came out with the t-mobile wing. junk does not even begin to describe that phone..htc/t-mobile seriously crapped that one. that phone made me despise smartphones, and then i went to a sony ericsson for the first time ever, being sick of carrying around some big ass crap phone. i got the w760a from ATT...after having that phone replaced 3x and my 4th one failing, i snapped it in 2 and bought a razr v3 from hong kong to get me through my contract, which it did!

as for my t-mobile wing, now that i've actually put a decent rom on it, it makes a good pda, but that's about it. and it's a very basic rom. but thanks to the xda folks, that phone works like it never did before. now i have my hero so that thing rarely gets turned on.
 
LG Muziq... It was a decent phone, even recovered after being swept up in a wave at the beach... I really wanted to upgrade to a smartphone, but I was so fast at T9 texting on that thing that I didn't want a full keyboard... when I discovered that the Hero had keyboard options and T9 texting, I was pretty quick to upgrade. The compact QWERTY is awesome, and of course the Hero has a million more features than the old LG.
 
lg-lotus.jpg


Unfortunately me and Jenny never communicated that much when I got mine. False advertising at it's finest. :(
 
Up until about a month ago, I was an iPhone user for a year or so. Prior to that, I had a Nokia 5300.

So far, the HTC Hero trumps them all.
 
1998 Motorola StarTac, don't remember the model (Sprint)
2000 Motorola phone (Sprint) Agian, don't remember the model but it look like the 2 way pagers, I had both, thought I was balling
2002 Palm Treo 300 (Sprint)
2003 Palm Treo 600 (Verizon)
2005 Palm Treo 700p (Verizon)
2007 Palm Centro (Verizon)
2010 HTC Hero (Sprint)

I switched because I lost my Centro, called to get a replacement & when I got my new bill it said I owed them over $800. Turns out the person who found my phone made a bunch of calls to Africa. Verizon was not trying to help me out so I left.

Before that I was torn between the Pre, Pixi & was looking at the Eris. I wasn't sure if I would like a virtual keyboard & I didn't want to betray Palm being I've had a Palm product since 1999 but their ship has sailed.

So far I'm glad I made the switch. Great phone, service & I'm paying about $40 less than I was with Verizon.

 
Back
Top Bottom