• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's Upgrading to the S3?

Do you plan on buying the S3?


  • Total voters
    69
If the Evo LTE was as well known as the S3, I'd buy it. But there is a connotation with the S3 that the Evo LTE simply does not have, so I'd rather buy the S3.
 
That's remarkably similar to my own Virgin upgrade path, except for the addition of the Triumph before the Evo. :thumbup: :D
OB
 
If the Evo LTE was as well known as the S3, I'd buy it. But there is a connotation with the S3 that the Evo LTE simply does not have, so I'd rather buy the S3.

The EVO LTE is simply Sprints version of the One X, a pretty well known phone by any standard. :rolleyes:
OB
 
I ended up getting the S3 at RadioShack tonight. I'm usually really excited to get the newest phone and want it right away, but the longest I've had a phone for is with the Evo V. And it still works pretty well. So I still feel like I have no justification for spending that money on the S3. But playing around with it, so far, it seems like a really great phone. I haven't activated it yet though, I want to root it and have it ready to go before activation, since I can't play around with it and set it up the way I like while at work.

Another thing I don't want to run into is where supply runs out, and VM can't offer replacements. The later you wait into the life cycle of a phone, the more likely you are to run into the issue that several EVO V users experienced. VM ran out of them, and couldn't offer a direct replacement. Some were offered the Victory as a replacement, while others were just SOL :(
It's interesting that people were posting that. Even last week when I called customer service about something, they offered to send me a replacement phone. And I'd gotten one not that long ago, after people had already posted that they were being offered replacements.
 
About 2 months ago, when Virgin stopped selling the Evo they were completely out of refurbs/replacement phones. At least for now they seem to have corrected the situation because I received a replacement last week, prior to that I was told twice that I could either wait for replacements to come in or get the Victory instead. :rolleyes:
OB
 
as nice as the S3 is...there is no 4G LTE here in Vegas...an my current on/off 4G is not that great....so I don't know if I can bring myself to purchase this nice phone...knowing that I'm gonna have the same service as I do now...lol
 
That's very surprising considering how many people per square mile Vegas has, plus the lack of significant terrain makes for a relatively inexpensive upgrade to the tower. :confused:
OB
 
I will wait til Black Friday for a price drop and to see if VM will have LTE in NY by then. If there's no LTE, I'll probably jump to $30 Tmobile plan.
 
I'll probably hold out on a new phone until LTE hits my area. Plus I don't wanna feel like a sucker like when I paid 3 bills for the evo 3d
 
I'll get the S3 when there is a nice sale and when LTE is fully available here in Portland, Oregon. For now, my HTC Evo V 4G is chuggin along just fine.
 
I will say in regards to 4G LTE Coverage, I was a bit bummed when I purchased my S3 considering I live in Long Beach, CA. However once I got it, I noticed the 3G was noticeably faster, to a tolerable point.. Exactly 1 week later I noticed along the freeway not far from my house, A lot of work being done to several cell towers. Now I'm consistently getting 12-18MB/s.

I expected the expansion to take much longer personally. Either way, It's a positive.
 
If I had 12mb 3g I would not want LTE. Going from the triumph to evo v brought me from 1mb to 2.5mb. Even at this speed, I'm very happy. Unless LTE had no data cap, because I would burn right through it watching videos.
 
I should have clarified the speeds I'm getting now, Is largely because LTE is now available in my area. Before the tower upgrades, Running off of 3G, I'd be lucky to hit 1 - 2MB, And that's on the networks best day.

Now on LTE, It's night and day difference.
 
If I had 12mb 3g I would not want LTE. Going from the triumph to evo v brought me from 1mb to 2.5mb. Even at this speed, I'm very happy. Unless LTE had no data cap, because I would burn right through it watching videos.

The only 3g that fast is our hspa+ on T-mobile. :)
 
I remember how I hated the Evo back when I got it because the signal and 4G was horrible, but now it's better. Personally, I want to switch to T-Mobile and get an unlocked GSM to use in other countries. Since I'm in no rush, I might wait a few months and see how cheap the S3 can get. $300-$350 on sale is what I would like to spend.

It's been 6 months since I moved to T-Mobile and so far it is great! I have the Samsung Galaxy S III with LTE. Initially I didn't get 4G LTE data so I had to settle for 4G (HSPA+) for about two months.

In my opinion Virgin Mobile is great! My only problem is that Sprint is struggling to expand 4G WiMax in San Francisco. My husband constantly complained how he would only get 1X in Downtown San Francisco! It's ridiculous.
 
Back
Top Bottom