• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Whts the Best ROM for LG Ally?

Personally...I'm running with Velocity 0.1.1.

:D - Very happy with it so far...can't wait for the update 0.2

Yeah pretty much what everyone else said Velocity is currently the best rom available for the Ally.

You make an backup of your original rom. And when the time comes for the offical 2.2 backup you just re flash the backup of your old rom and you will be able to get the offical update.

Plus when 2.2 comes out the forums will be flooded with "ZOMG I NEEDZ STOCK ROM" and there will be links everywhere to flash back.

ohh ok... but anyways...

i didnt get at all how to root that...

i need to download the TERMINAL on the market, plug in my phone on the computer, mount the SD card and do all those commands?
or do i need a LINUX on my computer to root the phone?

quoted for truth

it will also tell you to install or will automatically prompt you to install a program that will backup your current rom to the sd card, get that done successfully then root it with universal androot, then load the custom rom, then you can always switch back to original and unroot if needed easily

i ran the Velocity rom for a few days and honestly i switched back to stock and like it much better....Velocity has some nice features, but it was much slower than stock on my Ally

sweet =)
i really thought this rooting thing would be harder...

another question? what version of velocity should i download? i couldnt find a link for the V.02 =S, but as a beta version, i should get a previous version right?

Velocity .2 isnt public yet. Download 0.1.1 - You will need to preform a Data Wipe and Wipe your Dalvik Cache and Regular Cache in the recovery menu. You will loose your contacts and all settings but if you have your contacts synced to gmail then it shouldent be a problem. Pictures should be on you SD card so that will be fine.

There is always the option to use ROM Manager from the market. A lot of people say they have problems with it but I haven't. Its the easiest way to flash a ROM and tridents velocity is in the download rom list.

So this is what i did

I rooted my phone with the Universal Androot

Putted the Velocity zip file on the SD card (not in any folder)

I Downloaded Rom Manager as GRZLA told me so

I backed up my ROM

but everytime i try to INSTALL ROM FROM SD CARD

the phone just restarts and nothing happens =S

The Clockworks recovery flashed correctly in my friends phone and did not work. I had to install the custom recovery drellisdee made by manually flashing it. Also if he doesn't remember to Wipe Data and erase data+cache, and dalviks cache then it gets stuck in a boot loop. Good luck

yeah i didnt like it that much =S!!

I don't know what you "didn't like that much", but here's my opinion on the ROM situation:

I tried Velocity, and didn't like it. I don't like having DROID sounds and logos everywhere any more than I would want Apple logos and iPhone sounds. It's not a Droid.

So, what I did was go back to stock, root it, and remove a big pile of apps I don't use or want (Socialite, Amazon, Backup Assistant, CarHome, Facebook - though I installed it again from market, Enterprise Calendar, LG Home, MySpace, Visual Voicemail) and installed Launcher Pro (though it does come with Android Launcher too).

The result -- much faster phone *without* Droid artifacts all over. I don't know if it's as fast as Velocity, but it pleases me.

(No disrespect to Trident -- he does great work, the Droid thing just isn't for me).

Back
Top Bottom