• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worried about a feature/something you read? Check here first!

i hope this is a really dumb question but Verizon tends to force locked bootloaders on their android devices, anyone knows for a fact that this nexus will not have a locked boatloader

I don't think the Charge had an encrypted bootloader, and HTC was going all lockytocky for a while "just because ..." I doubt the Nexus, which is Samsung (like the Fascinate and Charge) would have a locked bootloader. I mean, anything is possible with Verizon's need for control, but I doubt it.

Upvote 0
i hope this is a really dumb question but Verizon tends to force locked bootloaders on their android devices, anyone knows for a fact that this nexus will not have a locked boatloader

It won't be locked. Fact.

Also, Verizon doesn't force locked bootloaders. Verizon and Motorola have worked together to lock bootloaders. But Verizon has offered a substantial number of Android phones in the past few years with unlocked bootloaders.

Upvote 0
Is there or will there be a heavy duty battery for the Nexus? IMO this is crucial for any LTE phone at this point.

Probably old news by now, but there will be a 2100mAh OEM battery. It does com with a battery door so I'm guessing it may add some thickness. Reportedly it will cost $49.99. There are also reports the 3rd party batteries won't work, but I think this relates to the NFC function only.

Verizon Galaxy Nexus extended battery bumps capacity and thickness | The Verge

Galaxy Nexus Public Service Announcement: 3rd Party Batteries Not Compatible, OTA Update Arriving On Day 1

Upvote 0
Do the hard keys have any sort of function for the camera? I.E. Zooming or actually snapping pictures?

No they do not, the volume buttons are just that when taking pictures, no buttons have actually taken the picture for me besides the on screen one. There are also on screen "sliders"(couldn't think of the word) to zoom in.

Sorry mate

Reactions: Member138406
Upvote 0
Also, may be a dumb q, but is there any ill effects to connecting your previously activated device to WiFi, including your Google account, after you've upgraded and activated a new phone?

For example, got the Nexus today but still have my Droid X. Nexus is line on the account, but I'd like to continue using the DX via WiFi only. Doubt any issues arise, but figured I'd check! Thanks!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones