• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worried about a feature/something you read? Check here first!

+1 on this, I would like to know as well, as GPS on my phone is a major usage point for me.

Here's a question I haven't seen anyone asking: Which GPS chip is in the Nexus? And, how good is it?

I have had horrible experiences with the GPS chips in earlier Samsung phones compared to Moto, etc. My OG Droid locks onto a GPS signal like a coon dog on the hunt. And when it needs to reacquire it only takes a few seconds, even cold.

Every Samsung phone I've ever dealt with, on the other hand, has taken forever (usually minutes in most cases, even on a hot re-acquisition!).

So does anyone know if the G-Nex is any better?

Upvote 0
So when's the buttons dissapear, it's plain black screen?? That seems pointless, may have well just put buttons.. Amirite?

No, you're not right. Sure, they're black when the phone is off, but if you at doing something like watching a movie, three space is used for displaying the movie. You can't do that with capacitive buttons.

Upvote 0
No, you're not right. Sure, they're black when the phone is off, but if you at doing something like watching a movie, three space is used for displaying the movie. You can't do that with capacitive buttons.

O okay..so that part of the screen is used as regular screen when buttons are not in use?

Eta: I just watched the video sean posted and it shows the buttons going from button to movie screen... Very nice

Upvote 0
Using the emulator I wasn't able to move or delete the built-in search bar at the top of the screen but I was able to add the normal search bar as a widget and move it around freely.

Untitled_2.png

Uh I read that somewhere too, that you can't remove it... Seems un-android like. Not sure how I feel about having that permanently on my screen.... I'm also interested in hearing about the gps quality... That's huge for me.

Upvote 0
I have had the same 16GB microSD card in the OG Droid since I got it and haven't needed more space. I don't think I will miss it at all.

There are a few microSD related threads if you want to read and see what other people are saying.

Ah didn't see them I'll check it out.

I have an 8 GB card in my Incredible and I haven't used that up either.. Well I did once but that is because I had a ton of Nandroids that I forgot to delete. Those are huge.

Upvote 0
according to this the search bar stay on every screen. and I thought this was strange

Using the camera exposed a major flaw in Ice Cream Sandwich, namely the lack of USB mass storage support (only media / picture transfer protocols are available). We can only hope this standard functionality will be restored in the very near future.

Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ first impressions (video) -- Engadget

Upvote 0
according to this the search bar stay on every screen. and I thought this was strange

Using the camera exposed a major flaw in Ice Cream Sandwich, namely the lack of USB mass storage support (only media / picture transfer protocols are available). We can only hope this standard functionality will be restored in the very near future.

Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ first impressions (video) -- Engadget

P3Droid be-bunked this showing his LTE Nexus mounted on his PC.

Upvote 0
Uh I read that somewhere too, that you can't remove it... Seems un-android like. Not sure how I feel about having that permanently on my screen.... I'm also interested in hearing about the gps quality... That's huge for me.

If Samsung had something to do with the GPS, we're in big trouble. I've yet to have a Samsung phone that had a fast and accurate GPS. :(

Upvote 0
I apologize for the simplistic question but I've never had an Android device before. Does it handle (sync, transfer over) Microsoft Outlook well--Calendar, Email, Contacts?

Thanks so much.

You can sync things through gmail, or you can buy 3rd party aps to sync directly. I haven't tried any OTA updates, but I know plenty of people use it to access our exchange server.

Reactions: BenjaminH
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones