• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Worried about a feature/something you read? Check here first!

D

Deleted User

Just thought I'd quickly boil down a list of things people are worried about, and do it all in one first post so people don't have to dig. Please add suggestions, or correct anything that's wrong/misleading.

The phone doesn't have HDMI. I wanted to hook it up to my TV!

The phone has MHL - Mobile High-definition Link. This is essentially HDMI over USB. There will be either a dock or an adapter cable to hook it up to the HDMI port of your TV, and it also allows the phone to charge at the same time.

The phone only has a 5 megapixel camera. That sounds bad to me.

It's not. The problem is that these tiny sensors get worse as you pack more megapixels into them. Read here for more detail.

There is no SD card. I need more space. Also, what happens if I wipe my phone?

Nothing you can do if you need more space. There are options for cloud storage - this thread has information.

However, don't worry about doing a factory reset on your phone. The internal storage is split into multiple partitions, and one of them will act JUST like an SD card. When you wipe/factory reset, all of your data will stay there. You can still backup apps with Titanium Backup, or keep your photos when you wipe, or whatever.

I think the battery is too small. 1750 mAh just isn't enough for 4G or that big screen.

Honestly, nobody knows the answer. Samsung has indicated that the US version of the phone will be "a little thicker" which may indicate a larger battery. However, let's not fret here. There have been a lot of improvements to the OS, including a huge performance improvement, which may net a lot better battery life. The "race to idle" school of thought says the faster you can get something done, the faster you can go back to having an idle processor. Therefore, significantly enhanced performance can have a big impact on reducing your battery consumption. Be patient, we'll all find out together.

What's going on with these on-screen buttons? Where is the menu button? What if my phone already has buttons and I get ICS?

Honeycomb displays a menu button for applications that require a menu button. We expect ICS will operate the same way - they will need it for backwards compatibility. Don't fret, there will be a way to access the menu when needed.

If your phone already has buttons, there will be no on-screen buttons for you.

Buttons can be hidden for apps that do not require user input. A quote from the SDK:

The SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION is a new flag that requests the navigation bar hide completely. Be aware that this works only for the navigation bar used by some handsets (it does not hide the system bar on tablets). The navigation bar returns to view as soon as the system receives user input. As such, this mode is useful primarily for video playback or other cases in which the whole screen is needed but user input is not required.

Obviously, in the future it may be that you can hide the nav bar even for user input - but consider that it may not be optimal to do that. You really want those buttons to be there all the time if they're going to be a primary navigation mechanism. You don't want something to hide them so it's hard to get them back.

Is the phone coming to Verizon?

Yes. Press release.

The processors aren't as fast as the iPhone. They aren't even as fast as Exynos. Am I going to be able to use my phone the way it's meant to be used?

Short answer: yes. Long answer: yes, and it's only the GPU that isn't as fast (the CPU is as fast as anything on the market right now, and faster than the iPhone). This will be the third fastest GPU on the market, behind the PowerVR SGX543 of the iPhone, and the Mali-400 of the Samsung Galaxy S2. For most tasks, of course, there will be tons of horsepower available for things like hardware acceleration of the OS, basic processing tasks, etc. These are not generally a challenge to most GPUs. The real question is, how will it handle games or apps like Google Earth or other 3D-intensive apps?

Think about this: when game developers release a game for the PC, do they optimize it so that it will only run on the brand new, top-of-the-line, $600 graphics card? Of course not. They wouldn't sell many copies, would they? Expect the same here. The PowerVR SGX540 of the Nexus is a potent GPU, one of the fastest on the market. Not being the fastest shouldn't be a concern.

This is a great post that describes some of the similarities and differences between the CPU/GPU in the Galaxy S II and the Galaxy Nexus and points out that the Nexus actually has superior GPU performance in some ways.

Is it plastic or metal?

It's a plastic case with a textured back and a metal frame inside to help resist flexing and increase the durability of the phone. The tradeoff, of course, is that the build quality won't feel quite as robust as something like a Droid X, but it will be lighter.

Is the screen made from Gorilla Glass?

Corning has confirmed that the phone does NOT use Gorilla Glass (see here), contrary to what Samsung indicated at the launch party. Samsung indicates that they use another brand of "fortified glass" so it should still be extremely hard. Gorilla Glass is one brand of fortified glass and lack of it does not mean the screen will be prone to scratches - but without more information about the particular glass used, only testing will determine how hard the glass is.

Does it have a notification LED?

Yes, on the bottom bezel in the middle. Click here for a picture of it.

Does it support USB host mode, so we can attach flash drives and devices to the USB port?

Yes, ICS supports USB Host Mode. The Galaxy Nexus definitely supports it with its hardware, too, because it was announced that it would support USB game controllers. How it will treat attached flash storage is not known yet but it is almost certain that the functionality will be there.

USB OTG would be a nice feature - will we get it via the standard uUSB cable that was used on SGSII? I hope we will.

Good thought. I don't know, it doesn't look like this has been discussed yet. Given that it's in the SGSII, and a custom kernel on the original SGS also enabled it, I would have to believe it's in the GNex.

Also, there were numerous indications that ICS supports this functionality out of the box, again suggesting that the GNex would support it...

Upvote 0
Hey Binary, great write up.

Now that we know the phone has MHL and can be mirrored to a larger display can you confirm the previous issues Galaxy S phones had with bluetooth controllers are a thing of the past?

I've looked and asked several placed but can't seem to find an answer.

Will we be able to connect an external bluetooth controller (Wii) to the phone like many other Android devices allow.

Upvote 0
Updated the OP with a quote from the SDK thanks to this post in the other thread. Click over there and thank NexusDrool for pointing out the flag in the SDK. Commentary is mine and is only my opinion.

What's going on with these on-screen buttons? Where is the menu button? What if my phone already has buttons and I get ICS?

Honeycomb displays a menu button for applications that require a menu button. We expect ICS will operate the same way - they will need it for backwards compatibility. Don't fret, there will be a way to access the menu when needed.

If your phone already has buttons, there will be no on-screen buttons for you.

Buttons can be hidden for apps that do not require user input. A quote from the SDK:

The SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_HIDE_NAVIGATION is a new flag that requests the navigation bar hide completely. Be aware that this works only for the navigation bar used by some handsets (it does not hide the system bar on tablets). The navigation bar returns to view as soon as the system receives user input. As such, this mode is useful primarily for video playback or other cases in which the whole screen is needed but user input is not required.

Obviously, in the future it may be that you can hide the nav bar even for user input - but consider that it may not be optimal to do that. You really want those buttons to be there all the time if they're going to be a primary navigation mechanism. You don't want something to hide them so it's hard to get them back.

Now that we know the phone has MHL and can be mirrored to a larger display can you confirm the previous issues Galaxy S phones had with bluetooth controllers are a thing of the past?

Will we be able to connect an external bluetooth controller (Wii) to the phone like many other Android devices allow.

I don't think anyone can confirm that right now. I have a friend who uses his Wii controller with his Galaxy S II so I expect the issues will have been resolved... but we probably won't know that until the phone gets more hands-on time.

Upvote 0
Hey Binary, great write up.

That's really odd, I've never heard of this problem. My Wii controller works great with my Nexus S, and so does the PS3 Sixaxis controller. So we know that it hasn't been a problem for close to a year.

Upvote 0
Samsung has indicated that the US version of the phone will be "a little thicker" which may indicate a larger battery.

actually didn't the indicate that the verizon version would be slightly larger, not the us version?

doesn't that also answer your question about verizon?

that and the fact that verizon is a choice when you sign up for new about the phone on Samsungs page?

Upvote 0
actually didn't the indicate that the verizon version would be slightly larger, not the us version?

doesn't that also answer your question about verizon?

that and the fact that verizon is a choice when you sign up for new about the phone on Samsungs page?

Actually, they said the LTE version would be thicker. There was no mention of Verizon.

The signup page doesn't mean anything. It just means they planned to have it come to Verizon. It doesn't mean it'll actually happen.

Upvote 0
binary has always been a trusted individual, and source of information, his knowledge is vast, he knows what he is talking about, and he will gladly help anyone with a problem, he is a good guy as well, he is a great asset to the DX forums and will continue to be a great asset no matter where he goes.

destined for guide status?
got my vote!

keep up the good work binary, you never cease to amaze us.

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone can confirm that right now. I have a friend who uses his Wii controller with his Galaxy S II so I expect the issues will have been resolved... but we probably won't know that until the phone gets more hands-on time.

That's pretty encouraging

Wifi / Bluetooth module: Broadcom BCM4330 (same as in the Galaxy S II)

Source

Now all I have left to ask for is them to find a way to let me mirror my phone through wifi!

Upvote 0
Updated Gorilla Glass information with Corning's recent statement that it is not their branded glass.

Is the screen made from Gorilla Glass?

Corning has confirmed that the phone does NOT use Gorilla Glass (see here), contrary to what Samsung indicated at the launch party. Samsung indicates that they use another brand of "fortified glass" so it should still be extremely hard. Gorilla Glass is one brand of fortified glass and lack of it does not mean the screen will be prone to scratches - but without more information about the particular glass used, only testing will determine how hard the glass is.

Upvote 0
binary has always been a trusted individual, and source of information, his knowledge is vast, he knows what he is talking about, and he will gladly help anyone with a problem, he is a good guy as well, he is a great asset to the DX forums and will continue to be a great asset no matter where he goes.

destined for guide status?
got my vote!

keep up the good work binary, you never cease to amaze us.
There are a few individuals who try to give balanced advice supported by facts.
BV is definately one of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones