• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Zombie Apocalypse

Would be so cool if there was a forum dedicated to finding Zombie Proof buildings in certain cities. For the 'Just in case' factor.

I would be down to go out and look.. :D

I live in AZ... and there have been SOO many areas where I would think to my self, damn I would so go here if there were ever a Zombie Apocalypse.

I can't say I ever did it before this thread, but I have been looking at different building and rating them on how well they would work.

That answers the Vampire part. What about the Lesbian part?:D

Fertility doctors are wonderful people.

Reactions: Roxors
Upvote 0
I can't say I ever did it before this thread, but I have been looking at different building and rating them on how well they would work.

I personaly have a scale, and and this list can possibly help you and others on their 'rating of building' for said apocalypse.

The List of things to look for in a building in case of Zombies coming into existence.
(Its kind of short, but still good points of what to look for)

1. Overall size, you dont want to pick out a ridiculously big building, or at least one with more windows then you have people inside. Which brings me to number two.
2. Windows and doors are a major artery to the outside world in a ZA. So, when scoping out buildings, look around it and recon how many doors and windows there are currently.
3. Perimeter fences. Just that much more security for a wave of zombies to get bottle necked at.
4. Location, you dont want to be in the middle of a city. And if you ask why, you will not need to know the answer anyways because you will not survive.
5. Is there a local food/water source. Is there an area within a mile of the building where there are wild animals such as wolves or deer, and also a water well?
6. The roof, one of the most important things you need to look for also. Is it accessible from within? Accessibility from within is KEY! You not only need to have people posted up on top for look out, but you also don't want them to have to go out into the crowd of zombies to gain access.
7. And finally, ease of getting to/ how close is it to your central hub(where you mainly live/work at)

I know they really aren't in order of higher values, but that's it for the list, in my mind. There are many other things to look for I know, but for now that's what I could get off the top of my head.

I personally look for medium to small warehouses in small cities/towns. Such as UPS exchange facilities, or a nice little bakery/warehouse with good roof access.

Upvote 0
I've actually been thinking about this again this week...

I think the number one problem with most people's Zombie Plans is food.

If the Zombie Apocalypse is short, then holding up in a Sam's might be fine, or a hospital with a kitchen, but after 6 months you are going to need to find another source of food, which will make you go out among the Zombies. There's just no safe way to that in a city.

Now in the country, you will be able to survey the surrounding areas and deal with incoming zombies before they approach your base of operations. That being said, you will also have freedom of movement to grow your own veggies and animals. That's a big deal as you will need them to survive longer than 6 months of a Zombie Apocalypse.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this belongs here, but what the hell.
What would you guys do in the advent of a zombie apocalyspe?
I'd grab a gun, make sure my loved ones and friends are ok, grab them, and head to the midwest with a shit load of food, water, and ammo
two questions:

zombies are by definition reanimated dead, so what good would a gun do you? It's not like you can kill something that is already dead right?

Also, why the mid west? if we are talking about an apocalypse, wouldn't it be a fair expectation that all areas would be affected?

Personally I would seek an island with an easily defensible structure. use natural barriers to keep the zombies at bay.

Upvote 0
two questions:

zombies are by definition reanimated dead, so what good would a gun do you? It's not like you can kill something that is already dead right?

Also, why the mid west? if we are talking about an apocalypse, wouldn't it be a fair expectation that all areas would be affected?

Personally I would seek an island with an easily defensible structure. use natural barriers to keep the zombies at bay.

people say the midwest because you have a lot of flat open ground and could see things coming from a ways off.

an island would be good but how big you talking? and what would you do for food and such? will you let others on your island? will you just stay there forever on the belief that zombies will rule the world for good unstead of dying out?

Upvote 0
two questions:

1)zombies are by definition reanimated dead, so what good would a gun do you? It's not like you can kill something that is already dead right?

2)Also, why the mid west? if we are talking about an apocalypse, wouldn't it be a fair expectation that all areas would be affected?

Personally I would seek...

Gonna stack onto what was posted above me.

1) Haven't you watch or read any zombie movies/books? Removing or damaging the brain/head is the only way to 'stop' them. They're still infectious if dead, that is their stuff gets into an open sore/cut/mouth of someone who's not yet infected, but if they're now inanimate, they can't haul themselves around to attack and slash at you in attempt to kill and feed on you. 'Nuff said. Guns and weaponry needed.

2) Mid west, as said just above me, is a mainly open land area with plenty of flat view-able ground around you. You'll be able to see a horde or group of infected/zombies lumbering around the fields looking for live prey to feed off of for many miles away. Not the case if you're in a tightly packed city. You'd be lucky to get so much as 15 minutes notice, much less an hour. With a lot of distance, and say a scope or binoculars, you'd be able to get a good day's heads up or at worst a few hours notice of an incoming wave to prepare for.

As for the island, I'm gonna re-quote you to shoot you with your own gun in the foot, so to speak.

Yea, you get the point of a zombie. It's dead. Knowing this, dead people don't breathe. Dead people aren't affected by pressure differences caused by atmospheres of pressure or lack there of. The zombies would most likely, though it would take a good long while, traverse on foot underwater to wherever you may be, Island, or continent. No where is safe, there are only places to run to in a zombie apocalypse.

Upvote 0
I'm actually reading The Zombie Survival Guide right now, lots of great tips on how to survive against the hordes of the undead. And packing up and moving is one of the last things you should do, finding a good defensible position is a much better way to do it. Prisons are great places to hole up, although the second story of a two-story house works well, too. Move all supplies upstairs and destroy the stairs, and the zombies won't be able to get to you, they are unable to build or even climb ladders. When you are on the move, you are in a much more vulnerable position and will have much more limited supplies. And you just say grab a gun, but don't say what kind. And unless you are an excellent shot (you have to hit the brain, or the bullet is wasted), then a gun isn't the best weapon. A crowbar is one of the best multi-use tools to have with you in a zombie outbreak, as it can be used to move things, wedge doors open, or as a weapon for destroying a zombies braincase fairly easily.

This is some of the worst advice I have ever heard on a few accounts.

1. Sure.. you may "last longer" in one position but, that doesn't mean you will "survive" where hypothetically if you moved towards canada/colder climates you may escape them. (I live in louisiana so I'd have a long trip)..

However, all holding up is going to do is give you time to starve... you don't have an unlimited food supply :/

Now.. If you hypothetically were to have enough people/skill/knowledge to secure a large area like a prison and had the knowledge needed to grow plants ect ect.. You would be in a good position for a longer period of time.. until.. time takes its wear on the jail itself.. although i suppose after several years the zombies themselves would be mostly decayed less of a threat.. but, unless you have enough area and capability to grow crops.. your screwed.

2. A crowbar is a horrible weapon while they may be dead and suffer some residual coordination loss.. unless there is muscle damage they are going to still be capable of moving quickly.. by the time you go to swing.. your already dead.. or overwhelmed.. at least with a gun you can fire from a distance.. However, with that said.. you still need to be a good shot.. but, if your not a good shot your screwed anyway..

*NOW* against a *regular* person.. if your choices are crowbar/gun... go with the crowbar :/ heck an UMBRELLA is a better weapon than a gun if your actually going to use the umbrella and not use the gun.. thats actually something that is taught in self defense..

However, you don't quite understand just how hard you have to swing a crowbar in order to inflict enough trauma to the brain to shut down a zombie... If you hit me with a crowbar and don't kill me I pass out.. but, if you hit a zombie with a crowbar and don't kill it.. it is going to grab and bite you.. bye bye. shooting you at least have a chance of inflicting damage on some muscle which would be necessary for movement and slowing it down some..

However, as creepy as it would be I would attempt to travel through densely wooded area's. Idealistically cities would be death traps.. large amounts of people would equate to large amounts of zombification, chaos, people attempting to take advantage of the chaos ect..

Woods means less people, less zombies and hopefully traveling with at least one person who knows what to eat/how to prep food in the wild to allow survival off the land... plus the added benefit of enough tree's branches' navagation needed that zombies would steer clear of it.. opposed to urban environments where they can run freely.

3. Zombies biggest advantage is numbers.. assuming we had prior warning.. realistically.. they may not be as bad as all the movies dictate.. I mean.. given sufficient ammo/supplies it would be realistic to fight them.. and so long as they were sent back to the grave in a timely manner.. it would curb the over all amount infected.. The biggest issue is *if* there was accurate and immediate coverage.. Hypothetically if the gov't didn't try to cover it up to avoid mass hysteria... then People could organize in order to combat the situation..

Upvote 0
This is some of the worst advice I have ever heard on a few accounts.

1. Sure.. you may "last longer" in one position but, that doesn't mean you will "survive" where hypothetically if you moved towards canada/colder climates you may escape them. (I live in louisiana so I'd have a long trip)..

However, all holding up is going to do is give you time to starve... you don't have an unlimited food supply :/

2 things:

1) Moving about is much more likely to get you killed. As you cannot control the situation that you are getting yourself into. You have no way on ensuring that you won't run into a horde of a thousand zombies.

2) Raising rabbits and a small garden is a great way to take care of a family. Rabbit droppings fertilize the garden, the garden feeds the rabbits, and you eat from both. (FYI, rabbits breed quickly. It wouldn't take long to reach a point where you had enough rabbits to have nightly meals of rabbits... it just takes some space, and maintenance.

3) Go to the country and secure a place there to setup. This is good for a couple of reasons. Generally, you can see a ways off and have a warning of any approaching zombies. Also, there aren't that many people in any given mile. I would say that within 1 mile of my house, there are probably 100-300 people. They are also well armed (gotta love country folk). So, what this basically means is.... when people start becoming zombies, country folk will at least kill some of them. Some of them will try to get out of the area. I would have to deal with an initial zombie attack of about 50 to 150 zombies. That's much more manageable than the thousands that would be faced in any metropolitan area. Plus I won't face them all at the same time. So, I'll be able to pick them off as they approach.

Upvote 0
2 things:

1) Moving about is much more likely to get you killed. As you cannot control the situation that you are getting yourself into. You have no way on ensuring that you won't run into a horde of a thousand zombies.

While I do live in the city... I do have at least 3 guns in my apt. So I am hoping although my gf admits she wants me to kill her or leave her behind with some sure fire method of death if this were to every happen.. her and I could most likely make it to some wooded area which I would still go to first. Reasons being as I said before.. there are less people.. The zombies even if they retain *some* coordination would most likely be more tripped up by the wooded area's and things like that.. If they aren't tripped up in the woods.. then odds are we are dead anyway.. keep in mind this is all geared towards traveling north to colder climates.

2) Raising rabbits and a small garden is a great way to take care of a family. Rabbit droppings fertilize the garden, the garden feeds the rabbits, and you eat from both. (FYI, rabbits breed quickly. It wouldn't take long to reach a point where you had enough rabbits to have nightly meals of rabbits... it just takes some space, and maintenance.

I'm familier with how fast rabbits breed my girlfriend often tells me about her old rabbit farm she use to live on.

The problem here is maintaining adequate food for the rabbits although a great idea.. if you can not buy feed you must then grow rabbit food.. so you are no longer just growing crops for your family but, the rabbits as well.

The other con is as you mentioned space and maintenance seeing as over time *ALL* places will need some maintaining.. hospitals, stores, jail ect ect.. you would still more or less need an active community to accomplish this.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you in a zombie type set up isolation is best and most productive to some degree. Farther away from the population the safer you are.. however, this is where you would really have to work together as a group. A community would be a prerequisite to a large degree. However, the trick is getting your community far enough away from the thread and in a defendable enough position. Realistically whatever zombies wandered up to the colder climates would die quickly.. even if they are reanimated they aren't intelligent enough to safely defend themselves from the environment in a number of locations.. Anywhere that stays cool and has cold winters would be the safest bet.

3) Go to the country and secure a place there to setup. This is good for a couple of reasons. Generally, you can see a ways off and have a warning of any approaching zombies. Also, there aren't that many people in any given mile. I would say that within 1 mile of my house, there are probably 100-300 people. They are also well armed (gotta love country folk). So, what this basically means is.... when people start becoming zombies, country folk will at least kill some of them. Some of them will try to get out of the area. I would have to deal with an initial zombie attack of about 50 to 150 zombies. That's much more manageable than the thousands that would be faced in any metropolitan area. Plus I won't face them all at the same time. So, I'll be able to pick them off as they approach.
[/quote]

as long as you have more than 150 bullets and your a good shot your safe :p.

However, there is one thing I think a lot of people also don't consider.. this is disgusting but, talking about the mechanics of the human body.. if your in a hospital/market/whatever highly populated area is around.. you have to deal with not just zombies.. but, the fact that when people die.. they empty their bowels.. zombies themselves are dead decaying organic matter..

This is all highly disgusting.. but, the fact is its more germs than most people *want* to comprehend and a huge source of disease that doesn't even have to be zombie virus related.. we are talking unsanitary to the disgusting power..

While watching Dawn of the Dead I sat back and thought "omg that would be a lot of crap".. could you imagine the smell? I certainly can not nor do I want to.. however, I maintain this point.. urban environment is the most assured way to certain death.

I would idealistically like some sort of "barred in" area with lots of room for farming/community living ect somewhere with heavily wooded area..

However, given sufficient warning I would most likely as said before try to "curb" the zombie invasion...

Given adequate people with adequate skill and resources (which may or may not be realistically achievable.. all depends on the amount of fore warning) We would be able to in any given country side at least create some degree of safe harbor and as someone mentioned before.. guns like AK's have some degree of stopping power.. so even if the military didn't know to shoot for the head.. they do have guns that would saw limbs off or perforate zombies to the point their head may as well be detached.. So while I do not hold my breath.. I would like to think that even if we lost our military as a whole.. there would be enough trained people left with enough skill to A. train others B. create a plan and C. gains some sort of long term control over the situation..

I mean in I think it was night of the living dead.. but, civilians were actually able to patrol local area's killing zombies on sight..

Idealistically even if the threat could not be entirely handled by us as race... given a safe enough situation.. (some degree of space from the infected) its not unrealistic to think that one day "they could all just go away" So long as we managed to stay out of the way of the zombies and hold out long enough (longer than you could store supplies for.. but, "shorter" on the grand scheme of things than most of us would expect..

Realistically the fact that A. people empty their bowels after death and B. most zombies would probably be injured before they got turned anyway.. Their slow moving nature means they would probably accumulate maggots, bugs and other things which would eat them even faster than they would if they were stuck in the ground..

Maggots/bugs eating them means while they will be even nastier.. ultimately.. they are going to lose *more* muscle which means even slower movement.. Lets also not forget that they would not know to stay still or be able to receive help as if they were living.. so attempted movement means further tearing of muscles that are already about to break and will not heal..

We may have a better shot at survival as a race than we thing.. although fwiw I hate "zoombies"

Upvote 0
We're currently planning our house that we are going to have built.

we are going to be an off the grid house running on powered stored from Solar Panels.

I've wondered if I could use that energy in a couple of Tesla Coils as a defensive weapon against Zombies.

If EESTOR would ever put out a product, then I'd have a way to trap lightning as well as a power source.

Could you imagine a perimeter defended by Tesla Coils. It would definitely fry their brains, or at least stun them enough that I would be able to safely deal with them.

I also have access to a bulldozer, and tractors so that I would be able to clear a good distance from the house. This will allow me to turn on the defenses long before any zombies got close enough to be dangerous...

Although, I am aware of the growing food for us and rabbits... That wouldn't be a problem.

Edited to add: The problem with the woods is that you might not see a zombie before you were on top of them. And since you would definitely make noise moving through the woods. So, that would draw the attention of the zombies that were in the area.

Reactions: Snow_Fox
Upvote 0
+1 for tesla coils :D

As to woods.. while it is possible.. the advantages I think far outweigh the possible cons..

Odds are any zombies passing by are going to stick to urban environments.. it is far easier for them to stumble and crawl on pavement than over a log for example.

They would be much more likely to follow the road.. which would also have more people on it.

As the population thins out or people begin seeking refuge there is a chance some woudl end up in the woods.. however, I don't forsee them naturally going into the dense brush under normal circumstances completely at random.

Plus find a defendable location where I am would be borderline impossible. Some travel would be required.

Upvote 0
Yea, you get the point of a zombie. It's dead. Knowing this, dead people don't breathe. Dead people aren't affected by pressure differences caused by atmospheres of pressure or lack there of. The zombies would most likely, though it would take a good long while, traverse on foot underwater to wherever you may be, Island, or continent. No where is safe, there are only places to run to in a zombie apocalypse.

Submarines don't breathe, but they still get crushed by the immense pressure underwater. I'm pretty sure if it can crush a reinforced steel submarine, it can squish a zombie. That's why you find a pacific island. Lots of open water and deep water makes crossing it an impossibility for a zombie.

Upvote 0
Actually don't discount a few things.

A. yes there is enough pressure to kill a zombie under water.. but, there is no garuntee the zombie would get that deep down.. even saturated with water in lungs and everything.. odds are once it got to a certain depth.. it would float.. meaning its able to come up more or less anywhere in the world assuming nothing happens.

B. Immense pressure will kill a zombie.. lack of pressure will still cause damage... humans need some degree of atmospheric pressure in order to survive.. without it.. your eyeballs will explode.. your veins won't hold together.. ect ect.. I only mention this because someone said "pressure or lack there of"

I would be worried about pacific islands being potientially tropica and wonderful breeding grounds for zombies.

Upvote 0
Not sure if this belongs here, but what the hell.
What would you guys do in the advent of a zombie apocalyspe?
I'd grab a gun, make sure my loved ones and friends are ok, grab them, and head to the midwest with a shit load of food, water, and ammo

The funny thing is that, that's what everyone would do.....and...its the worse thing you can do.

If we're talking crazy virus that infects people in mere seconds, moving is the last thing you wanna do. What you want to do is find a defense area and stay put, if everyone did this then the infectious disease won't spread as rapidly.

People running and moving around would spread the virus like wildfire. Set up a defense area and wait it out until the virus has died off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones