• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Few Random Questions

1: I have used the Always on Screen, always on with my S8, family members S9, and on my S10. It DOES NOT severely drain the battery, it is designed to be "always on", hence the name... To tap the screen to see the info displayed defeats the entire purpose. The things that I want to see when glancing over at my phone are: the time, temperature, and battery level and notifications, if I had to tap the screen all the time to see these it would drive me crazy (OK, crazier). The "AOD" moves slightly to prevent burn in.
2: Try Edge Lighting Fix for all apps by zunderstruck on the play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.zunder.edgelightingfixforallappsv2&hl=en
3: Try Holey Light by Chainfire on the play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.holeylight&hl=en
4: Just as it says, one is with sound and the other is not.

Battery usage on these: Holey Light for the last week used 3.6% of the battery, the other doesn't even show up.
I have nothing to do with these apps, just stating what works for me, your mileage may vary...

Help Android 9 Pie - media scanner not automatically scanning SD Card

Just to confirm.
- Copy a small directory of 8 mp3s to sdcard/music/
- Check it does not appear in the media database and is not visible in music players
- Reboot phone
- Wait a couple of minutes
- It does now appear in the media database

- Copy another small directory of 8 mp3s to internal/music/
- Check the media database and media players and confirm that the files are immediately visible

So the media scanner is run in background after a reboot and does scan the SD Card. But it doesn't run and scan files after a file copy to the SD card. However, it does run and scan after a file copy to the internal memory.

My phone problem

Ok this is why there shouldn't be more then one thread going on the same issue. I'm gonna use this thread to communicate. You said your tried all the fixes mentioned....... do you mean freon this thread? Or from somewhere else?

Can you be more specific? What exactly have you tried?

Open Beta 22 & 14 for Oneplus 6 & 6T

Still more updates for the OnePlus 6 & 6T on Open Beta

OnePlus have just started the Open Beta 22 & 14 OTA roll out for the OnePlus 6 & 6T to test new features and fixes that may or may not, come to future firmware updates. You will only receive this test firmware OTA if you are already on their Open Beta releases.

Changelog

System

• Fixed issue with the camera while using quick reply in landscape
  • General bug fixes and improvements
  • Updated Android Security patch to 2019.07 (July 2019)
File Manager
  • Improved UI
  • Optimized bottom navigation
  • Improved app stability
OnePlus Switch
  • Supported more types of data migration
OnePlus Widget
  • Added clock widget on home screen
Android Security patch is now July 2019

Camera version is still 3.0.42

This is the 14th Open Beta release for the 6T in 191 days = 1 update, on average, every 14 days.

(N.B. Open Beta is NOT available for the T-Mobile (USA) carrier minority variant firmware)

Help Which phone should I buy for better gaming and photography

"Perfectly" is a high bar, and I'd not myself say that any phone reaches it.

The most important thing about mobile phone photography is the software. All phones have small sensors, most have fixed apertures, and even where they have variable apertures the short focal length means that the depth of field is still large. So if you see a phone coping with tricky lighting, producing impressive shots in low light, producing a bokeh effect, that's all down to the software. And while some of the others have come on lately, Google have the best algorithms, which points you to the Pixel series. HTC (remember them?) so still do very good cameras in their flagships, but they've so little support these days that it would be hard to recommend them. I've read a number of people saying that the Snapdragon s10s (North America, China, Japan I think) have better image processing than the Exynos models (most of the world), but I can't confirm that personally. Ports of Google's camera software are available for some other phones: the closer in hardware to the Pixels the better, but that's something you might want to consider looking into if there is a non-Google model that you favour.

Of course you should be aware that when people are discussing "best" they are sometimes nit-picking over small differences. What matters is what works for you. Tastes differ too, e.g. I prefer natural colours and will accept some noise in order to preserve detail. Others might prefer "punchy" colours and no sign of noise (at the price of smearing away details). So I'd always recommend finding some samples from any phone you are considering, ideally in a range of lighting conditions, and judging for yourself.

One thing that the Pixels won't give you (at least until this Autumn) is multiple cameras. So if having a modest telephoto is important for you that might be worth considering (you can zoom digitally, but there's always some loss of quality with that). But in those cases make sure you check samples from both cameras, since the quality of a secondary camera (ultra-wide or tele) is not always the same as the main one.

I'm afraid I know very little about gaming, other than to say that if that's important to you you want a flagship-class specification. The Snapdragon 855 SoC has the best gpu currently, so if gaming were a priority for me I'd consider that plus adequate RAM as priorities. Of course lower resolution screens are easier to drive, so this will be more important with a 2k screen than a 1080p for example.

I'm sorry that's thoughts on features rather than specific phone recommendations, but I'm not currently in the market (my phone is under 2 years old) so I'm not following specific phones as closely as I would if I were looking to upgrade. I also don't know your budget, what country you are in (some phones are different in different countries), and what your other preferences might be (bigger or smaller, flat screens or curved, etc).

Filter

Back
Top Bottom