• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My phone with the bread of ginger has been running phenomalnaly , except one thing............ When ever i try to use my cam it REBOOTS!!!!!!! anybody know any current fixes for it.... P.s. I was stupid and decided to not turn it to s-off

I'm kind of in the same boat except mine reboots everytime i go back to the home screen after using the internet. I've called and talk to verizon about it and how it started after applying their update and their response was 2 folded. Firstly it was HTC's update, not theirs and they have mo imputed into what HTC releases on their network so i should take my concerns up with them. Also that since I've had the phone over a year and I'm outside my 1 year warrenty they wouldn't do anything for me anyway, but they could be happy to upgrade me since I'm due and just charge a new phone to my bill, not costing me any money out of pocket was her selling point. When i asked why bother updating a phone that's been out so long anyway that most owners are 1 year plus especially when you won't stand behind your updates she just said sorry I gotta call htc with my issues..

Upvote 0
I'm kind of in the same boat except mine reboots everytime i go back to the home screen after using the internet. I've called and talk to verizon about it and how it started after applying their update and their response was 2 folded. Firstly it was HTC's update, not theirs and they have mo imputed into what HTC releases on their network so i should take my concerns up with them. Also that since I've had the phone over a year and I'm outside my 1 year warrenty they wouldn't do anything for me anyway, but they could be happy to upgrade me since I'm due and just charge a new phone to my bill, not costing me any money out of pocket was her selling point. When i asked why bother updating a phone that's been out so long anyway that most owners are 1 year plus especially when you won't stand behind your updates she just said sorry I gotta call htc with my issues..

I've never had this bad an experience with VZW support. If a 1st-line lackey told me it wasn't their problem then I'd ask for a supervisor. Then go to customer retention.

Upvote 0
Hi, OTA Update "Victim" chiming in again.... In addition to accelerated battery drain and the erroneous "Low on Space" issue, I have also discovered that whenever I attach a picture stored on my phone to an SMS/MMS, and I later want to access the picture Gallery on the phone, a weird thing happens. When I tap the Gallery icon, instead of showing me a menu of where pictures are stored on the phone, or galleries, it takes me back to the text thread between me and the person I sent the picture to. The only way to get it to correctly point to the galleries again is to reboot the phone.

Honestly, I am not sure why those who have not received this update are pining for it, it's faulty and not stable. Further, it does nothing that affects my day-to-day use of the phone (if the update wasn't buggy).

Verizon->HTC->Verizon FAIL. :mad:

Maybe you should start a new thread: "I have received my Gingerbread OTA Patch for my D-(was) Incredible?"

Upvote 0

(I'm guessing the "reboots" are the phone showing a white screen with HTC on it, then it reloads the homescreen)
It's not rebooting. What is happening is the launcher is either being killed by androids internal task managment or closing itself. I know there is a thread on this, probably in the support subsection.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I wonder if they do this on purpose knowing you will upgrade to a new phone. They don't want you using the same phone for more than a few yrs. I know it sounds far fetched but it makes me wonder.

It's not far fetched. Phones last 1.5 years. People can't wait for their new every two deal ...
VZW has to be careful though since they are WAY overpriced. If my plan wasn't picked up by my job I'd jump to Sprint in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0
<snip>I've called and talk to verizon about it and how it started after applying their update and their response was 2 folded. Firstly it was HTC's update, not theirs and they have mo imputed into what HTC releases on their network so i should take my concerns up with them...</snip>
Well, that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I swear the Verizon reps make stuff up as they go along, instead of actually taking the time to find the right answer or transferring a call to someone who does know that answer.

HTC designs the phone and OS per Verizon's specifications. Verizon has all the input into what HTC releases. Actually, HTC doesn't even release the updates... HTC provides them to Verizon and Verizon releases them over the network... and these update issues fall squarely within the responsibility of Verizon. Honestly, I'm surprised that HTC provides any tech support at all to end users, since in a traditional business model HTC would be considered an OEM and not the provider.

Upvote 0
Well, that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I swear the Verizon reps make stuff up as they go along, instead of actually taking the time to find the right answer or transferring a call to someone who does know that answer.

HTC designs the phone and OS per Verizon's specifications. Verizon has all the input into what HTC releases. Actually, HTC doesn't even release the updates... HTC provides them to Verizon and Verizon releases them over the network... and these update issues fall squarely within the responsibility of Verizon. Honestly, I'm surprised that HTC provides any tech support at all to end users, since in a traditional business model HTC would be considered an OEM and not the provider.

And besides, if it's HTC that pushes the update and Verizon doesn't have anything to do with it... why were there several posts on Verizon's own forum, by the Verizon reps letting us know the update was initially delayed. They certainly know and control when it's pushed. Verizon has the final say when it's pushed, their "developers" have to put their crap on the phone before it's pushed out.

Upvote 0
And besides, if it's HTC that pushes the update and Verizon doesn't have anything to do with it... why were there several posts on Verizon's own forum, by the Verizon reps letting us know the update was initially delayed. They certainly know and control when it's pushed. Verizon has the final say when it's pushed, their "developers" have to put their crap on the phone before it's pushed out.

And HTC decided to include VNav and Vcast store, just because they provide a better user experience.

Upvote 0
There once was a guy we'll call "Evan" that described how great those "big red" programmers were, and how we should never load any unofficial rom as it would be buggy and ruin our phones. Anyone know of a third party Rom that made the phone think it was an Evo on Sprint?

If anyone wanted to hear Evan again (and I have my doubts), he said the update was pulled.

Upvote 0
Received OTA, earlier this month. Bluetooth drops out when I receive a text, Low Memory Message constant, When I send a pic text, the gallery icon will then point back to sms instead of pics (until I reboot). I spoke to VZW customer service and they refuse to provide a replacement phone unless I do a hard reset on the phone with them (which they say they can see OTA). They repeated the same BS about HTC sends the update out and they have no knowledge or control of it. She said HTC has told them the roll out is complete.

I do not want to lose the the stuff on my phone or the hours to re-configure the phone. I hope there is an OTA patch out there coming. In the meantime, for those of you who do not have 2.3, you do NOT want it OTA from VZW. If you have to have it that badly, root it. I can get another phone now, or if I wait until December, I get a $50 credit. My experience with vzw makes me want to change, but they have the best signal in my 'hood, by far. Thinking about an iPhone 5, but would welcome your suggestions on dealing with my D-Inc, or for a new phone. Please don't just say "iPhones suck," as that is not helpful or informative. Love this board, beginning to hate this phone.

Upvote 0
Received OTA, earlier this month. Bluetooth drops out when I receive a text, Low Memory Message constant, When I send a pic text, the gallery icon will then point back to sms instead of pics (until I reboot). I spoke to VZW customer service and they refuse to provide a replacement phone unless I do a hard reset on the phone with them (which they say they can see OTA). They repeated the same BS about HTC sends the update out and they have no knowledge or control of it. She said HTC has told them the roll out is complete.

I do not want to lose the the stuff on my phone or the hours to re-configure the phone. I hope there is an OTA patch out there coming. In the meantime, for those of you who do not have 2.3, you do NOT want it OTA from VZW. If you have to have it that badly, root it. I can get another phone now, or if I wait until December, I get a $50 credit. My experience with vzw makes me want to change, but they have the best signal in my 'hood, by far. Thinking about an iPhone 5, but would welcome your suggestions on dealing with my D-Inc, or for a new phone. Please don't just say "iPhones suck," as that is not helpful or informative. Love this board, beginning to hate this phone.

What a crock... Roll out is complete huh? Strange, my phone doesn't have it. If the iPhone was on Verizon before I got my Inc, I wouldn't have my Inc...

Upvote 0

I do not want to lose the the stuff on my phone or the hours to re-configure the phone. I hope there is an OTA patch out there coming. In the meantime, for those of you who do not have 2.3, you do NOT want it OTA from VZW. If you have to have it that badly, root it. I can get another phone now, or if I wait until December, I get a $50 credit. My experience with vzw makes me want to change, but they have the best signal in my 'hood, by far. Thinking about an iPhone 5, but would welcome your suggestions on dealing with my D-Inc, or for a new phone. Please don't just say &quot;iPhones suck,&quot; as that is not helpful or informative. Love this board, beginning to hate this phone.

It is standard that they don't.replace until you do a factory reset. If they replace it, you will lose the same stuff as a factory reset anyway.

Do the reset or wait for the patch.

As for iPhone, great phone but different experience. Before going.g.for.that, why not root and see if.you like what bugless gingerbread is.

The rollout is most likely technically complete since they wont be sending the same update again. It will be considered a new update.

Reactions: cubswin
Upvote 0
Just got my replacement Incredible 2 today....just waiting on the Otterbox Defender I ordered to get here before I put it in service. Arrived with Gingerbread already on it. Only thing I'm kinda worried about is I've been reading some things about poor reception on it because they put the antenna as part of the battery cover. I guess time will tell soon enough.

Upvote 0
Hi all, this is my first post but I have been reading this thread for some time now and I figured now is the perfect time to get my feet wet.

I got tired of waiting for the OTA Gingerbread so I rooted and installed a leaked ota gingerbread rom from xda, all was good and fine. Fast forward 3 weeks and I begin to have issues with being heard during calls, incoming, outgoing, what have you. I decided to try a different ota gingerbread rom from xda and it never boots correctly after a few tries, so I go back to the one I had been running and the issue is all better.

BUT now I am not getting any incoming text messages, I can send them fine and make calls, just no incoming texts. So after messing around removing handcent, reinstalling it, clearing data etc, I call Verizon. The short of it is they asked me if I received an update recently, I said yes, as to not reveal I'm rooted. Then she asked for the baseband version, 2.15.00.07.28, she says humm, well this is a known problem at HTC from the update but it's usually not on the older version (which I assume I have) and they don&#8217;t have a fix so I'll replace your phone with an Incredible 2, I say yes please, hang up, and say uhhohh!

I'm rooted so what am I going to do?? Are they going to be looking to see if the baseband version is what I told her it was, because I assume that when I unroot it will change. Am I right or wrong about it changing? My main concern is that I don't want to be charged full retail for the Inc2 if they bounce it for some reason. Anyone have thoughts on what I should/shouldn&#8217;t do?
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Hi all, this is my first post but I have been reading this thread for some time now and I figured now is the perfect time to get my feet wet.

I got tired of waiting for the OTA Gingerbread so I rooted and installed a leaked ota gingerbread rom from xda, all was good and fine. Fast forward 3 weeks and I begin to have issues with being heard during calls, incoming, outgoing, what have you. I decided to try a different ota gingerbread rom from xda and it never boots correctly after a few tries, so I go back to the one I had been running and the issue is all better.

BUT now I am not getting any incoming text messages, I can send them fine and make calls, just no incoming texts. So after messing around removing handcent, reinstalling it, clearing data etc, I call Verizon. The short of it is they asked me if I received an update recently, I said yes, as to not reveal I'm rooted. Then she asked for the baseband version, 2.15.00.07.28, she says humm, well this is a known problem at HTC from the update but it's usually not on the older version (which I assume I have) and they don&#8217;t have a fix so I'll replace your phone with an Incredible 2, I say yes please, hang up, and say uhhohh!

I'm rooted so what am I going to do?? Are they going to be looking to see if the baseband version is what I told her it was, because I assume that when I unroot it will change. Am I right or wrong about it changing? My main concern is that I don't want to be charged full retail for the Inc2 if they bounce it for some reason. Anyone have thoughts on what I should/shouldn&#8217;t do?
Thanks in advance.
Gonna move this to its own thread in root section so it gets more attention
http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/418750-root-rom-issue.html
Am I the only one who loaded the OTA and has no problems?

Well you have to figure that most people who dont have problems with there phone never seek out and join tech forums..... i would bet only around 10 or 20 percent of Inc users visit forums....

that said, yes i think you are:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones