• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it? I haven't seen this yet thought I only saw per Asus site that it will be available soon after launch. I'm sure that can change though

See above post. It doesn't specifically say it is shipping with ICS, but I remember reading that a few days ago, and this article certainly implies that it will, or does it infer? Hmm...;)

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Off topic:

Does anyone watch How I Met Your Mother? Isn't it getting a bit too "soap opera" now? I'm starting to not care who the stupid mother is, too.

On topic:

Has anyone tried Moboplayer? I'm thinking of that for 720p movies on the SGN, but I'm getting some major lag. Wondering if it's the phone or the app.

Upvote 0
A little OT but it really bugs me. Why are people's two and one year old smartphones on their last legs?

We pay at least $200 for these phones and as in my case usually more (full retail). THEY SHOULD LAST LONGER!

I have old flip phones that are 5+ years old and they work fine. I realize these smart phones are more advanced hence more things to go wrong but technology is also more advanced so why the big step back in longevity?

I just feel If they only allow us to upgrade at a subsidized price every two years the equipment should be able to make it.

I know I will get flamed but if I owned VZW I would allow you to upgrade every six months at a subsidized price. If you did upgrade it would subsequently reset your contract therefore locking you in longer. WIN WIN :)

Cell phones these days remind me of computers in the 90's. The software advances were out pacing the hardware advances and ever couple of years your computer couldn't handle the increased demands software was putting on it so you had to upgrade the ram or/and the cpu. I feel phones thee days are at that point now too....I have an Iphone 3gs and when I updated to iOS 5 performance went down the tubes...I suspect that was all part of the master plan though along w/ excluding Siri from any phone but the 4s although it is only a software upgrade. Just my $.02

Upvote 0
ICS has so many new features that incorporate features from apps I have already paid for. This volume control will replace my Audio Manager app. Kinda sucks but that's one less app I will have to put on my phone.

What other app's features are now built into ICS?

That's not from ICS. That's was a screen shot of the app I use for volume controls. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Reactions: MoPhoMan and jbdan
Upvote 0
Haha, well he beat out Orton, so what does that mean? :D No but I think the most ironic result would be Orton having a great day, and smashing Denver, so I think I will go with that.

Not much. Denver's defense has been doing the lion's share of the work, and since Tebow's taken over they haven't exactly faced many playoff-caliber teams. Plus, with Tebow, they are running more of the John Fox style of offense.. run, run, run and run some more. Which plays to Tebow's strengths.. he's a good runner. He's a terrible passer when you get down to it. If they run up against a team that can stop the run well or an offense that can score on their defense, they are screwed right now.

Tebow's a great story and a great person, just don't see him being a success as a qb in the NFL.

Reactions: Sushibagel
Upvote 0
Off topic:

Does anyone watch How I Met Your Mother? Isn't it getting a bit too "soap opera" now? I'm starting to not care who the stupid mother is, too.

On topic:

Has anyone tried Moboplayer? I'm thinking of that for 720p movies on the SGN, but I'm getting some major lag. Wondering if it's the phone or the app.

Soap Operaish... yes at times. But it's still freaking hilarious most of the time.

Upvote 0
Off topic:

On topic:

I haven't found any player that does a good job with HD video on my D1. In my case, I assume it's a hardware shortfall.

Upvote 0
Is it? I haven't seen this yet thought I only saw per Asus site that it will be available soon after launch. I'm sure that can change though

I was wrong:

Although Lenovo was reportedly rolling out an Ice Cream Sandwich-powered tablet by the end of 2011, Asus is saying its newest offering will be the first to feature Ice Cream Sandwich. While the tablet will ship with Android 3.2 (a.k.a. Honeycomb), the manufacturers say it will be upgradable to Android 4.0 immediately.

Asus Transformer Prime is the first Android Ice Cream Sandwich tablet | VentureBeat

Upvote 0
Just one more silly question - I assume this applies to both on-contract and full retail phone purchases? I'm planning on buying the Nexus outright to replace my Thunderbolt - wonder if it's worth trying out the Razr - can't imagine the Rezound would be much different than the T-bolt or Evo I had before that.

I honestly don't know. I would go to your local store and clarify the info with a VZ employee.

Upvote 0
Why will you get flamed?

Anyway, I think it depends on the user because I've had the HTC Incredible since April 28, 2010. My Incredible is actually faster and better than it was 6 months ago and even 1 year ago thanks to maintenance and flashing better Kernels and ROMs.

I could make this phone last over 2 years no question with no slow down.

Since it is a smart phone and not a dumb phone, it is more like a computer and requires maintenance and care. And I'm not talking about cases and zip lock bags - it's more on the software end.

Two things I do at least a couple times a week is wipe my Cache and Dalvik Cache in recovery - I find if my phone starts doing anything weird or seems laggy this fixes it.

If you don't take care of your PC, look how much it slows down. Just gotta take care of it and it will be just as fast 1-2 years later.

I also don't have a screen protector and still have no scratches.

so is this something that all people are expected to do? or only android fans and geeks like us that know to root and follow forums endlessly for fixes?

one of the biggest draws to apple is that make things work. i used to be a huuuuuuge windows fan because i knew how to use it. i've since got a mac and never had to do a single "maintenance" task on it, and it still runs great.

i love android. i loved my OG Droid. but in the course of two years, the hw and sw no longer play nicely together. i can only unlock my phone with the keyboard sliding out. answering phone calls is a nightmare. i'm lucky to send a text without the screen going nuts and typing random crap. i can't use buttons on either left hand side or right hand side of the screen.

no doubt forking over $300 for a gnex will translate into better performance. but at this point, i can only hope it translate into a sustainable device without having to root/wipe/clear. i certainly will know to do this... but i assure you this is not the norm. and no one wants to resort to that option (if they can get passed it with locked bootloaders nowadays).

Upvote 0
Ok a little OT and I know it was talked about before but...What is the best program for taking DVD's and making them so you can watch them on your phone?

Probably ninja'd but I'm trying to catch up!

My VERY strong recommendation is DVD Catalyst! Excellent program, tons of options. I've been using it for quite some time (first to convert to my ipod, then my DX, then my Thrive, and I know they already have settings for the Nexus!)

The cost is only $10, and the developer, Mitch, is a great guy! In my opinion, he has the best customer service of any app I've certainly ever run across.

He has a trial program too, to test it.

Upvote 0
Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones