• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting you but this is directed at anyone this applies to.
If you get a phone tomorrow PLEASE PLEASE photograph the phone on (live) and your receipt (not blurry) [preferably in the same image file] this will be instrumental to the rest of us attempting to get a phone tomorrow if we have some evidence to show while we are saying:
'come on, other people around the country are already getting theirs. Your other [radioshack/costco/corp store/whatever] stores in [city,state] has already jumped the gun.'

So if you show a random girl a picture of a baby, she'll let you make one with her?

Not the best example, but it's still not likely gonna happen. :p

Upvote 0
So it's been a little since I posted on this thread, but I do have to say I am quite proud that we not only managed to pass the DInc thread which was never thought possible, but we killed it. Now just have to see if we can double it. (We aren't to far off considering the number of posts in this single thread related to one phone.) Anyways goodnight all.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this has already been covered but this thread moves so fast. Has it been pretty much established that some stock of GN's are or have already been returned to HQ? If so, I see no positives in that no matter how optimistic one is.

The best case scenario for returns to HQ would be to have the rom reflashed. In a scenario like that, it could be either good (Google Wallet - yes it will work on a GN) or bad (VZW wins a concession and gets more carrier customization ie apps or the bootloader).

Worst case scenario would be a cancellation obviously and as bad as that sounds, there are no conspiracy theories, just basic economics. For example if VZW legal teams feel there is a good case for them being found in violation of C-block spectrum licenses, the 150 million or so (that figure is pure speculation based on 150,000 units ordered) would be relatively minor compared to the fines and any civil litigation resultant.

I'm sorry but Google is no more angelic than VZW. Wait until the 11th hour and say um, yeah, about that Wallet thing you "asked" us not to include? I know, I know, this all sounds like a deliberate downer but at some point we have to be realistic.

The driving force(s) behind when (or in a worst case "if") the unit is released is definitely not the relatively small market segement that is chomping at the bits to see it released (that would be us). Verizon has never courted the knowledgeable customer. Takes a lot less tech and less skilled sales promotions to satisfy those that are enticed by exotic television commercials.

Don't get me wrong, I would throw 7 fits of rage were it to happen. At some point though, we have to without resignation acknowledge that there are enough tangible factors to be considered in this whole fiasco that these delays and if true, returning of units to HQ, may mean that the folks that this Nexus means the most too are simply not factored in high enough on the list of priorities to make a difference at this point.

But it didn't stop me from buying 2 cases and order an extended battery just to make me feel better today. :p

Reactions: chankyu92
Upvote 0
I work as a Customer Service Rep for Verizon. Please, stop and listen to this man. We have no more information that what you guys do. I'm just a tech nerd like the rest of you. I spend my breaks and my evenings in this thread, trying to find out information just like the rest of you.

The volatile conversations really need to stop. The people you are talking to would love nothing more than to help you, seriously. The CSRs don't make commission for selling phones and upgrades, but they do make us look better in front of our supervisors, and who doesn't want that? What I'm trying to say is if we could sell you the phone, WE WOULD! It benefits us as much as it does you!

Lastly, PLEASE do not give bad ratings to representatives like the man on the previous page that laughed about giving a "0". The surveys that are sent out/called out after an encounter with a CSR are literally what we are graded by. It effects our pay. Significantly. You giving a 0 on a survey out of some misguided spite over a release date that was never announced didn't hurt Verizon as a company, but it did adversely effect the REGULAR PERSON you were talking to. It is highly likely that you just chipped off some money off their salary.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to lurking so I can find out more information about when this phone is coming out. Keep digging! I want that phone!

I can't even imagine how bad it must suck to be a Verizon CSR right now. In our frenzy for this phone, I think we've forgotten the other victims of this debaucle - the CSRs that Verizon has basically thrown to the wolves (us) to bear the brunt of the abuse for their poor handling of this release.

Reactions: Mr. Link and CinLou
Upvote 0
I can't even imagine how bad it must suck to be a Verizon CSR right now. In our frenzy for this phone, I think we've forgotten the other victims of this debaucle - the CSRs that Verizon has basically thrown to the wolves (us) to bear the brunt of the abuse for their poor handling of this release.

Well... in general I think people who act abusively are responsible for their own abusive behavior. But yeah, I sympathize with service workers who have to face frustrated customers.

Reactions: Member112085
Upvote 0
Now we know the phone is in stores, people have been prepped, and whenever Verizon is ready they can immediately do a full-on launch in a matter of an hour or so. It could happen tomorrow at 12 pm.

I'm sorry, but I see this statement repeated often 'the phones are in the stores'. Let me repeat this for the fourth time, as of yesterday afternoon I could not find one VZW Corporate, non-corporate, RS or Costco on Long Island that had the phone in stock, not one. This probably reflects a total of 14 different locations that I either called or visited.

So please folks, don't assume that 'phones are in ALL stores', they are not. I can't make that any clearer.

Upvote 0
Good Morning GNexers! Still have to catch up on about 500 posts(!), but I will post here and then go back and finish. I drove by my corporate store on the way to work this morning, because based on original schedule, ad material was supposed to go up last night. No dice. That pretty much kills any regular launch theories for me. I don't have a reseller store near me, so that was MY only shot of getting one today. Good luck to the rest of you, I hope as many as possible are able to stick it to the man and get their GNex today!

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I see this statement repeated often 'the phones are in the stores'. Let me repeat this for the fourth time, as of yesterday afternoon I could not find one VZW Corporate, non-corporate, RS or Costco on Long Island that had would confirm having the phone in stock, not one. This probably reflects a total of 14 different locations that I either called or visited.

So please folks, don't assume that 'phones are in ALL stores', they are not. I can't make that any clearer.

You could have made it clearer. I took that liberty. :p

I do agree with you a little. Although I think it is foolhardy to assume that all stores have it, I think it has been shown that there exist a finite, nonzero number of stores who have taken receipt of a nexus shipment. And, because some stores have it, it is reasonable to assume that in the near future and given there are no plan changes, all stores should have it.

-Nkk

Reactions: cusjs
Upvote 0
Didn't really have much new info to provide.

I did however go into both of the verizon stores here in my town (in uniform lol) to ask both my guys about the rumor of stores shipping them back (he/she assumes to the storage facility). Basically there is truth to this rumor. He's the one that shipped them back. To include the demo unit. At that point I started to read him Miranda.....
One of my guys says next week. The other (which Ive known longer) told me honestly dont hold my breath. He wouldn't be surprised if they cancel all together.
Those were his words

Fast forward to 02:21 hours. I get a text from the other guy (works corp store). Tells me to tell my guys that he has rescheduled our appointments for next Friday at 09:00 hours.
He will let me know if something changes either way sooner or another delay, but wants to make sure I am in at 09:00.

Third party doesn't mean anything until it happens. But passing along what I know.

Ive posted this before, but the sales guy at a beautiful new VZW non-corporate store seems to me to be the guy who is most credible to me. He was pretty adamant and very sincere when he told me his close friend, that works at Google, told him it was pushed back to January. I've seen nothing that would make me believe otherwise.

After all, we're only about 3 weeks away from 2012. But I must confess, I'm still amazed at how many guys still really think it's today. Talk about gluttons for punishment! :)

Upvote 0
Along the lines of beating up phone CSRs that I've been reading from last night...

My friend that I mentioned in an earlier post said that there is a practice within VZW to listen to recorded conversations from other reps and report any infractions that may or may not have actually taken place. In other words, they tattle on each other for not following the rules. The rep tattling gets rewarded while the other gets punished. If a CSR listening to your conversation misunderstands/misreports the info, you could get unjustly punished.

Add to this my assumption that VZW is probably secret shopping on their phone system and store reps to see who will slip up and you have a very sketchy job. Don't make their work harder than it has to be. They're getting attacked from both sides.

If you go on there asking a stupid question, expect a stupid answer or a snarky response.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones