• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am demoing a Rezound and have to say it's a REALLY nice phone. I was starting to get worried that I put the Nexus on such high regard that I would be disappointed when I finally got it. I'm glad to hear that you think the Rezound is nice...but I'm even happier to hear that you think the Nexus is better than the Rezound...sweet...can't wait!

Yeah the Rezound is a very nice phone, And I like Sense, (Dinc and TBolt) always been happy with the experience. To be honest I didn't get to play with the GNex too much, but I know it will take a little getting used to. But just holding it in my hand, it just feels to me to be THE phone. I mean it felt perfect for me. The size is no problem, especially if I leave it out of a case like I am contemplating. Its taller, but not as wide that my phone which has a case, so actually easier to hold with one hand.

Reactions: Mr. Link
Upvote 0

PAUSE ... NOT! [/borat]

I have a PM from a member who wishes to remain anonymous.

This is whet he requested me to post.

gnexus-sold.jpg

Wow that's crazy -- I wish he was non-anon so we could ask questions about version number and OTAs and such. Also wondering where he lives.

Upvote 0
Got a call from my guy at Radio Shack and the phone came in today and he said it's all mine, but the bad news was he couldn't sell it to me today. He only got ONE in and my name is on it. He checked the system for my upgrade status and I'm good to go. So now all I'm waiting on is the go from Verizon and it's mine. I'm heading that way to see if he will let me see it and mess around with it. If I get that far I don't know what I'll do, I'll be tempted to throw him my credit card and run! lol

Upvote 0
soooo, i've got a work trip next week to Charlotte and Raleigh, which i will have no vehicle and will be pretty busy those days. I fly back to Tampa on the 15th around 9pm. No chance I'm getting it the 15th unless there's a store in Downtown Raleigh, I could walk to at lunch. What are the chances one will be available on the 16th if they go on sale the 15th.....

there isn't a verizon store near downtown unfortunately. I live in Raleigh and work in downtown as well. I will be leaving at noon however to go get one if it comes out that day as I was informed by the store last night it will be

Upvote 0
I'm SORRY and know I'm not going to score points here with this one ............... but if any of us had been through that there would be pictures. I not just the box there would be pictures.

After all the BS we have waded through to not post pics is, well.........:eek:

I was just too excited about the fact that I was going to get it that taking pictures didn't really cross my mind. I would gladly be posting some right now if I had the phone though. :(

Upvote 0
100%. Its not only Google that has leverage on the Wallet issue. The FCC lease agreement for C-Block airspace included net neutrality clauses that prevent the leaseholder [VZW in this case] from restricting services.

"The FCC added terms to the auction that were meant to prevent winners from "denying, limiting, or restricing the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice." Free Press attorney Matt Wood said, "We think this could very well be a violation of the C-block conditions. When you have a powerful network operator, it can wield a lot of influence. But Google Wallet should be allowed to compete with Verizon."

As I posted days ago, VZW may be a victim of its own hubris in this case. They tried to strong-arm Google on the inclusion of a standard ICS feature, and ran foul of both Google and the FCC in the process. Its highly likely that they need the additional time to unfuch this mess, and release Nexus with Wallet. I suspect they are negotiating term for revenue sharing with Google as we speak, and doing so from a fairly weak position. Such a shame, eh?

There is a lot of misinformation about GW right now. See my previous post

Google Wallet isn't a standard ICS feature at all. It's not available on the GSM Unlocked Galaxy Nexus. It's not a part of the AOSP, meaning that Google, Verizon, nor anyone else is "stripping" it from ICS or the Galaxy Nexus. Look up the source code on Google's own site. Google Wallet is NOT in there. Google Wallet is a Sprint-exclusive application, only found on the Sprint Nexus S 4G, a carrier branded, subsidized phone. If you were to take a GSM unlocked, unbranded, Galaxy Nexus or Nexus S, only hook it up to WIFI, go into the Android Market and search for Google Wallet, you will not find it.

There are no legal proceedings or talks or otherwise. For whatever reason, this is a Sprint-only feature. I have no idea why anyone would think a Sprint feature would be on a Verizon phone, or why it is the cause of the hang up.

Reactions: FierceDeityLink1
Upvote 0
I actually wonder if we could start a class action lawsuit for taking our email address with the promise of information on the Galaxy Nexus and then only spamming us with RAZR information. At the very least it's unethical.

Dear God, please tell me you are kidding?????

Besides, I'm pretty sure you volunteered your address to them. They took nothing.

Reactions: Mr. Link
Upvote 0
So the corporate decision not to release HAS to be due to Wallet. Verizon knows they can't legally block it, AND Google controls the OTAs AFAIK. So whenever Google decides enough is enough, Verizon can't do anything about it (other than brick every phone on the network). THe press release Verizon put out said they were still in negotiations... I think Verizon is still trying to get a revenue sharing agreement out of Google for Wallet, and they are holding the release until they get something (Because in reality, the release is the ONLY leverage they have, once its out, its Google's). JMHO.

Agreed. This sorta thing really makes me wonder if I should just go back to AT&T. I had SO MUCH more freedom of what device I used when they were the ones I was doing business with. And their LTE coverage in my area is just as good as VZW, maybe better. If I could get them to offer me unlimited data to get me back I might just do it.

Upvote 0
Any chance you can get (s)he to give us a fuller report on whether they got an OTA, what the firmware now reads, etc?

Wow that's crazy -- I wish he was non-anon so we could ask questions about version number and OTAs and such. Also wondering where he lives.

I will ask. I think the reason he wishes to remain anon is so the store he purchased from can possibly avoid trouble.

I will report back once I have info though.

Upvote 0
It's SO BEAUTIFUL. :-(

it really really is.

*sigh*

I'm enjoying reading everyones adventures. I don't think I'll be going on any tonight.

Puppy/work stuff
So one of my pups was up all night puking from her vaccine she got on Tuesday. She had a reaction last time, but not this bad. She's miserable, poor little girl. She hasn't eaten since last night (and then she would only have bananas) and every time she drinks a lot of water she throws it up today.
But I had to work, so she is at home with her Daddy and sister, hopefully starting to feel better. Then I get to go home and care for her while doing homework and he heads to work. We are not getting anything done on the house today, that is for sure. :(
Her sister is taking good care of her too - she's barely eating either, out of sympathy it seems. She's such a sweetie. We really are so lucky to have some of the best pets ever. It's awful seeing her like this - I'm terrified of having an actual child get sick now if seeing the puppy like this makes me so sad.
And I'm stuck here at work. Watching the forum and transcribing CNN 9/11 footage for a film that's already shot, so they can add this stock footage dialogue to the script. Dumbest job ever.

Steven, I hope your wifey is feeling better!
And my condolences to those who loved and lost today on their Nexus adventures.

Upvote 0
lol Apparently he is reading the thread. So my PM wasn't needed.

It did NOT prompt me to update.

I haven't figured out how to take a screenshot yet, but this is what it says:

Model Number: "Galaxy Nexus"
Android ver: "4.0.1"
Baseband ver: "I515.09V.EK01 / I515.EK02"
Kernel ver: "3.0.1-ge2433f2 android build@apa28 #1"
Build number: "ITL41D"

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones