• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro Just pushed a firmware ans OS update

+1 what Sammy said. To piggy-back off that, when you are on 3G, it'll say EV (for EVDO).

Oh, so that is what that means! Anytime I am indoors, e.g. at the library, I notice the symbol on my phone goes from 4G to EV, and then to 1X. Once it goes to 1X it is really slow. I cannot seem to sustain the 4G symbol for very long unless I am out of doors.

Upvote 0
I was telling a buddy of mine that is a huge Andriod fan about your response and this is what he had to said. Why would LG make a phone that shows 4G when it actually means 4GLTE?!? If it's 4G, it's 4G. If it's 4G LTE, it should display 4G LTE. I guess it's easy enough to verify. Just look in your manual.

What is the difference between 4G and 4G LTE, and what does LTE stand for anyway?

Upvote 0
Oh, so that is what that means! Anytime I am indoors, e.g. at the library, I notice the symbol on my phone goes from 4G to EV, and then to 1X. Once it goes to 1X it is really slow. I cannot seem to sustain the 4G symbol for very long unless I am out of doors.

The EVDO is the CDMA version of 3G. I don't remember all the GSM names for 3G; UMTS and HSPA are two of them (at least I think that UMTS is 3G).

Edit: Oh, 1xRTT (shown as 1x on your phone, unless you go into settings and you will then see the 1xRTT) is 2G technology, that's why it's slow.

What is the difference between 4G and 4G LTE, and what does LTE stand for anyway?

Ok, 4G is anything with the faster speeds (I'm not knowledgeable of the theoretical min/max speeds for 4G). So, with that said, HSPA+21 is considered 4G (theoretical speeds up to 21 Meg download). Now, LTE (Long Term Evolution) is also 4G and the theoretical top speeds are really up there (80 Meg + I believe). HSPA+ is GSM technology, and really is upgraded 3G technology, but since it's got good speeds, it's considered 4G.

Look up HSPA, LTE, etc on the web. There are some really good articles that explain all the terminology and technologies.

Upvote 0
emu3ejyd.jpg
Look this time a year ago it barely hit 5mbps with those numbers you can Stream hd with no issue, they are pretty good not the highest speeds but better than some people home Internet
That is my phone "4g" speeds I will post my lte next
evepy5yz.jpg

Upvote 0
emu3ejyd.jpg
Look this time a year ago it barely hit 5mbps with those numbers you can Stream hd with no issue, they are pretty good not the highest speeds but better than some people home Internet
That is my phone "4g" speeds I will post my lte next

Just ran it again. This time it gave me Ping 140. Download 5.74 and upload 1.60. Crazy. I am still sitting in the same spot. Why do the numbers keep changing??

Upvote 0
i was so close a few weeks back to upgrading to a new phone but now Im glad i didn't. It I would have that would no longer be on the promotional plan I got when I signed up a couplle of years ago which would have meant a 10.00 a month price increase.

Rodman, I just spoke to someone at Metro a few minutes ago. She said you can get a free phone. There is an instant rebate at time of purchase, and a $49 mail-in rebate which can be applied to your Metro phone bill. She said the rate will not go up since you are already on a plan. So, for myself, for example, my rate would remain $40 per month (plus $1 for Metro Block-It). I guess it is time to go to the store and pick out one of their free phones.

Actually, I am wondering what the point is of staying with Metro. Why not just switch to T-Mobile if they offer better phones for free if you switch. Why is Metro still operating as "Metro" anyway if T-Mobile now owns them????

Reactions: Rodman
Upvote 0
Rodman, I just spoke to someone at Metro a few minutes ago. She said you can get a free phone. There is an instant rebate at time of purchase, and a $49 mail-in rebate which can be applied to your Metro phone bill. She said the rate will not go up since you are already on a plan. So, for myself, for example, my rate would remain $40 per month (plus $1 for Metro Block-It). I guess it is time to go to the store and pick out one of their free phones.

Actually, I am wondering what the point is of staying with Metro. Why not just switch to T-Mobile if they offer better phones for free if you switch. Why is Metro still operating as "Metro" anyway if T-Mobile now owns them????

Tmobile has better costumer services, but a bit more expensive per month plus taxes and fees then the extra if you do EIP so it is up to you, you could follow some other guys on the forums buy used att lte devices or tmobile or straight up unlocked devices, we know what devices are supported as well.

MVNO tend to keep their own name like virgin mobile and boost are both sprint, aio and parts of cricket. Are att. Tmobile have so many mvnos it's silly Verizon has page plus a

Reactions: HunnieBunnie
Upvote 0
I received the update yesterday. I can confirm the Metro Easy Wi-Fi app has been removed, along with the notification icon that appears on the left side of the status bar.

But there was a BIG CHANGE in the 4G speeds! The usual speeds were 4-5Mbps download and 5Mbps upload. Now they are 45Mbps download and 20Mbps upload. It was a trip to watch the Speedtest needle slam against the end of the 20Mbps dial, when download speed was 45Mbps!

Metro possibly made the switch to the T-Mobile 4G network.

My point of my speed going to 8Mbps became moot when I read the rest of the threat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones