• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

Lotta talk about what 'not' to do. Great info on how to do it the right way. ZERO info on what to do when you suffer from inability to delay gratification. :/

I have (had) a unrEVOked Sprint EVO, froyo 2.2. With out even thinking about it, I accepted the OTA update. When it failed, I thought, hmmm, I better check forums. After reading (yes, every post covering over 11 pages) though this thread, and not finding the answer to my question, I did some more digging and found a way to undo my boo boo:

Restore to Stock ROM (Unroot) for Sprint phones - xda-developers

Yea, I loose all my data, but I have backups of all of it. Regardless, this is VERY time consuming. Moral, think before you act. Next time I might actually check w/ you pro's before leaping into the unknown.

Cheers.

Lotta talk about what 'not' to do. Great info on how to do it the right way. ZERO info on what to do when you suffer from inability to delay gratification. :/

I have (had) a unrEVOked Sprint EVO, froyo 2.2. With out even thinking about it, I accepted the OTA update. When it failed, I thought, hmmm, I better check forums. After reading (yes, every post covering over 11 pages) though this thread, and not finding the answer to my question, I did some more digging and found a way to undo my boo boo:

Restore to Stock ROM (Unroot) for Sprint phones - xda-developers

Yea, I loose all my data, but I have backups of all of it. Regardless, this is VERY time consuming. Moral, think before you act. Next time I might actually check w/ you pro's before leaping into the unknown.

Cheers.

So did you in fact unroot to fix it? If you still had s-off, it was likely recoverable without unrooting. What is your current hboot and are you still wanting to be rooted?

THANK you guys for such informative, easy to follow posts. I finally got brave again and updated using the info in this thread. So far; working great. 4g in my area still not good, so can't tell how all that's going to work...but it appears fine.

Thanks again!

I flashed to modded stock 4.24 ota (odexed) from 3.70 last night. Also flashed radio updates.

Aside from some icon changes, I'm seeing huge battery gains.
I wiped Cache and Divak and fixed permissions before and wiped diavak again after. the whole of last night hardly put a dent in my battery. It's been off the charger for 5hrs almost now, and I've been using FB etc, deleting with the file browser and browsing the SD card with wifi File Explorer (which did not work under 2.2) and the battery icon is still completely full. Seems to be slightly snappier and the radio updates seem to have made a big improvement in 3g and 4g as well as general signal reception here in Richmond, VA where I am visiting the folks.

All in all, super easy and worth the time.

For the record, though I have rooted my phone, I had never flashed anything. And I took yesterday to read all 10 pages of this thread before embarking on the task and making choices about stock or custom roms, and it made the difference, much as I am often tempted to just wing it. So thanks for all the experimentation and feedback. I may explore some custom roms from here, but generally all I care about is functionality, stability, battery and speed...in that order.

Cheers,
Jason

I flashed to modded stock 4.24 ota (odexed) from 3.70 last night. Also flashed radio updates.

Aside from some icon changes, I'm seeing huge battery gains.
I wiped Cache and Divak and fixed permissions before and wiped diavak again after. the whole of last night hardly put a dent in my battery. It's been off the charger for 5hrs almost now, and I've been using FB etc, deleting with the file browser and browsing the SD card with wifi File Explorer (which did not work under 2.2) and the battery icon is still completely full. Seems to be slightly snappier and the radio updates seem to have made a big improvement in 3g and 4g as well as general signal reception here in Richmond, VA where I am visiting the folks.

All in all, super easy and worth the time.

For the record, though I have rooted my phone, I had never flashed anything. And I took yesterday to read all 10 pages of this thread before embarking on the task and making choices about stock or custom roms, and it made the difference, much as I am often tempted to just wing it. So thanks for all the experimentation and feedback. I may explore some custom roms from here, but generally all I care about is functionality, stability, battery and speed...in that order.

Cheers,
Jason

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
glad you took the time to research before updating. i'm a bit surprised on your batter life. mine has been average at best. i would also recommend that you try some custom roms that are out there. these new sense roms are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially the ones with sense 2.1 and 3.0. i would suggest you try mikg2.1 at least. it is not themed but has sense 2.1 and some sense 3.0 cooked in. try it out, just make sure to make a nandroid backup.

Hi everyone. I’m a long time forum lurker and don’t post a whole lot since all my questions get answered by reading posts. I posted at XDA as well...

Two nights ago I was running CM7 nightly #110 and doing some routine maintenance and did a nandroid backup in Amon RA so I could flash Fresh 3.5.xxx. For whatever reason, it didn’t take so I restored the nandroid using Amon RA and flashed the latest Fresh 4.xxx. That didn’t seem to take so, I booted to AmonRa recovery and nandroid back to nightly #110.

I checked my bootloader and saw it was hboot .76 AND s-off so I updated to the latest hboot. When I checked it again, I noticed it said s-on. It had always said s-off until two days ago.

I still have superuser, can nandroid backup and restore with Amon RA, can flash other ROMS. Is my phone still rooted?

Rooted with simpleroot last July.
GB 2.3.4
Using Amon Ra 2.3
On CM7 nightly 112
All radios/wimax/etc. up to date

I don’t think I forgot anything…
Thanks in advance

Thanks ocnbrz :) My current hboot is 2.10.0001

Unrevoked sounds like the easiest way to get s-off. I originally used simpleroot, but that shouldn't make a difference if I try to "re-root" using unrevoked.

Edited just in case this is important:
Supersonic EVT2-3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.10.0001
MICROP -041F
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.05.02
OCT. 15 2010.12:07:00

HBOOT
<VOL UP> to preview item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

Finally, if you are thinking of rooting your phone in the near future, do not accept this OTA. There is no known root exploit for this ROM since it is new (AFAIK. I could be wrong), so you can't root from 2.3 yet. Root your phone while it's on 2.2 (or 2.1) because the exploits for these versions are tried and true. Then simply flash the rooted version of the 2.3 update.

Hi novox77
so is this true?
I am still on the 2.2 with the rootable bootloader, I never accepted the update. I had been waiting for the gingerbread update before i rooted, thinking that I would gain some things not built up in the roms yet.

but what you are saying is that I can root my 2.2 and then when there is a stable rom for 2.3 i can just get the gingerbread update that way. by flashing over to that.

or is there any reason to take the OTA, and then wait for the stable 2.3 rom to come out.? will i be gaining or losing anything either way?

thanks
psysenz

Hi novox77
so is this true?
I am still on the 2.2 with the rootable bootloader, I never accepted the update. I had been waiting for the gingerbread update before i rooted, thinking that I would gain some things not built up in the roms yet.

but what you are saying is that I can root my 2.2 and then when there is a stable rom for 2.3 i can just get the gingerbread update that way. by flashing over to that.

or is there any reason to take the OTA, and then wait for the stable 2.3 rom to come out.? will i be gaining or losing anything either way?

thanks
psysenz

We have the rooted OTA available to flash so that you do not lose root or the ability to. Are you currently rooted? If so, you can go here: [ROM][STOCK] 4.24.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers and download the Odex version. It is the stock OTA but rooted. Flash that and you will have the latest software but retain root. We also have the new radios that are flashable if you want to update those as well.

edit: No you won't be missing anything if you do it manually other than an updated hboot that at this point breaks root. There are some custom roms based on the OTA but that have Sense 2.1 and 3.0 which were not included in the original 2.3 OTA.

We have the rooted OTA available to flash so that you do not lose root or the ability to. Are you currently rooted? If so, you can go here: [ROM][STOCK] 4.24.651.1 - Odexed & De-Odexed - xda-developers and download the Odex version. It is the stock OTA but rooted. Flash that and you will have the latest software but retain root. We also have the new radios that are flashable if you want to update those as well.

edit: No you won't be missing anything if you do it manually other than an updated hboot that at this point breaks root. There are some custom roms based on the OTA but that have Sense 2.1 and 3.0 which were not included in the original 2.3 OTA.

No I have never rooted before. only had my evo for 6 months. Have much to learn. so does this rom have all the radios, 4g working and everthing?
I don't even know difference between Odexed & DE-Odexed yet.

cool thanks for the quick answer. it will probably be a few weeks before i get it rooted. I just thought i had to wait for the official OTA before rooting for some reason. lol. :)

No I have never rooted before. only had my evo for 6 months. Have much to learn. so does this rom have all the radios, 4g working and everthing?
I don't even know difference between Odexed & DE-Odexed yet.

cool thanks for the quick answer. it will probably be a few weeks before i get it rooted. I just thought i had to wait for the official OTA before rooting for some reason. lol. :)

The stock rooted rom that I linked you to is the exact same as the OTA except it is only the rom(no radios), does not include an hboot update(which would break your ability to root), and has superuser and busybox installed(required to run root apps). Odex is basically smaller and faster but not able to be themed easily. Deodex is a little larger and slightly slower but can be easily themed.

If you have hboot 2.10 or lower you are still good to go. They will root the new hboot(2.16) but it may be a while before they are able to so it is best to not update your hboot. I would read through the Rooting for Dummies guide stickied at the top of the forum. It is very informative and tells you step by step how to get your phone rooted. I would not however follow the part about using Rom Manager as it has been known to be buggy and cause issues. Instead, we can walk you through doing those steps manually. Most of us suggest doing it that way anyway so that you are comfortable when(and it will happen) something goes wrong and your phone won't completely boot up.

cool thanks,

I am still at hboot 2.10. I will start reading up some more. not shure which rom I want to start with. CM7 with new kernal, or stock, or what, Kings whatever its called. hehe.

last question. its seems there is something iv'e been reading about here called nandroid. it seems i can use that to load more than one rom and switch back and forth. is that what nandroid does? that sounds cool.

cool thanks,

I am still at hboot 2.10. I will start reading up some more. not shure which rom I want to start with. CM7 with new kernal, or stock, or what, Kings whatever its called. hehe.

last question. its seems there is something iv'e been reading about here called nandroid. it seems i can use that to load more than one rom and switch back and forth. is that what nandroid does? that sounds cool.

A nandroid is similar to a restore point in Windows. It takes a snapshot of your phone exactly like it is at that point and you can use it to restore your phone in case something goes wrong or you do not like the changes you made. Nandroids are you friend. Once you get rooted, make it a habit to make a nandroid backup before you make any changes. You can delete or move the backups to your pc for safe keeping. You will just want to keep a couple on your sdcard just in case. We can get more into that when you get rooted.

Choose whether you want the odexed or deodexed version. If you don't know, choose odexed.

Download the file and stick it on your SD card wherever you like. I like to put it right at the root (top) level.

Boot into recovery. Do your NANDroid backup. when it's done, find the option to flash .zip file. Navigate to where you saved the file and select it. Press OK to confirm the flash. That's it.

The recovery image will be your one-stop shop for NANDroiding, flashing ROMs, as well as wiping your data/cache/dalvik cache. It's all in the menus.

This is more useful than some of the threads specifically dedicated to this. :P I had bookmarked the "rooting for dummies" thread, and couldn't find how to upload the new OTA; it just mentions what odex vs deOdex is (wish the bottom part of it said "flashing ota/radios" not just radios). THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom