• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

If you just got it and it came with 2.3 it should also have hboot 2.16. We dont have a root exploit for that hboot yet. Sorry friend. Keep checking back, should be one in the near future...

What up boys,
My sister is hating the sprint OTA and after messing with mine (mikG) she obviously wants it.. and heres the problem she updated with the OTA and i know i cant use unrevoked or root it anyway, for now... But what if i installed amon recovery and just used that to wipe and flash the rooted version of the 2.3 OTA or just install MikG from recov. Or will the recovery and everything not work in the first place because its not already rooted? I know people rooted for rom manager and people just followed directions and flashed clockword mod ( me included) but now since i know how to do it all from recovery and install recovery in Hboot will i be alright if i try this? rather ask before i destroy her phone.

What up boys,
My sister is hating the sprint OTA and after messing with mine (mikG) she obviously wants it.. and heres the problem she updated with the OTA and i know i cant use unrevoked or root it anyway, for now... But what if i installed amon recovery and just used that to wipe and flash the rooted version of the 2.3 OTA or just install MikG from recov. Or will the recovery and everything not work in the first place because its not already rooted? I know people rooted for rom manager and people just followed directions and flashed clockword mod ( me included) but now since i know how to do it all from recovery and install recovery in Hboot will i be alright if i try this? rather ask before i destroy her phone.

if she has s-on and has installed the latest ota then she will have to wait for the new exploit to the latest hboot 2.16, unfortunately. merged the thread.

Hey, I'm new, so this may not be the right section to post in. (Sorry!)

Anyway, I have a rooted evo that I'm trying to unroot for good and then apply the gingerbread update.

I applied the unrevoked-forever-son.zip, and went to apply PC36IMG.zip, and said it was old. I did some research, and found something that said now that it's set to s-on, I can safely apply OTA updates. I may have misunderstood this (remember, I'm new!), so if you guys could confirm this, or give me any guidance, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

I moved this to the EVO -All things Root section. I think you'll get better info here.

Welcome to Android Forums!

You have a custom recovery that will not work with the OTA. Go to the rooting guide and under "after rooting" there is a section to unroot. Download the pc36img file for hboot 2.10 and use that. Why do you want to unroot?

Nevermind, I successfully unrooted. I have my reasons for unrooting, I don't wish to share.

No problem. Everyone has their own reasons, just wanted to make sure it wasn't for reasons that you could have stayed rooted for. Alot are doing it or think they need to to accept the OTA which is not necessary.

I downloaded the file to my phones SD card. Its sitting in the root directory right now.

Just to be clear, I will be doing the following with the zip file I downloaded?

PUT ROM ON SDCARD
Before you begin, connect your device using the Mirco USB cable and place the Custom ROM you downloaded onto the Root of your SDCard. This means put the Zip file in the main folder itself. Not in any Sub-Folders of any sort.

STEP 1: TURN OFF DEVICE
Power down the device by holding the Power Button for 2 seconds. Allow it to shutdown completely. Wait about 10 seconds before next step.

STEP 2: BOOTLOADER
Hold down VOL DOWN + POWER until device boots into a White Screen.
Move to RECOVERY by using the VOL DOWN toggle and select by using POWER button.

STEP 3: BACKUP
Make sure to do a NAND backup of your bevice prior to Flashing a ROM. Refer to Section 3.

STEP 4: WIPE
Use the VOL DOWN toggle to move to Wipe and select by pressing the POWER button.
Toggle down to Wipe date factory reset and select by pressing the POWER button.
Once that has complete, toggle down to Advance Preferences and select by pressing the POWER button.
Toggle down to Wipe Dalvik-cache and select by pressing the POWER button.
Once that has complete, select Return.

STEP 5: FLASH ZIP
Use the VOL DOWN toggle to move to Flash zip from sd card.
Find the ZIP file Custom ROM you want to flash by using the VOL DOWN toggle. Select it using the POWER button.
Your ROM will now be installed onto your device.

STEP 6: BACK TO RECOVERY
After the installation has completed, you will be brought back main menu, use the POWER button to select the first option “reboot system now”. And your device will reboot itself like normal.

Enjoy your new ROM!

Yes, exactly those steps. It only takes about 10-15 minutes from start to being back using your phone like you normally would. Just be patient when it is rebooting, especially if you picked the deodexed version.

Scudder,
Thanks so much. I was in a bit of a tizzy wasn't I? I am downloading as we speak. So the nandroid backup is what I thought it was right?

Thanks again!!!!

Yes...you're good to go!

And don't think I wasn't in your boat just a few days earlier. You should have seen the questions I asked and the confirmation and the RE-confirmation. Now I look like an old pro! ;)

:confused:I have an EVO 4G running the following

Kernel 2.6.35.10
Build 4.22.651.2 CL60865
Software Number 4.22.651.2

I have the hboot drivers installed but i keep getting the new firmware crash when i try to run the unrevoked package.

Unrevoked does not yet support the 2.3 OTA update. Gotta wait to root it until the new bootloader is cracked.

Great any idea as to when that might be? I am anxious to root my phone to get the free teethering and such but I don't want to screw my phone up either.

Great any idea as to when that might be? I am anxious to root my phone to get the free teethering and such but I don't want to screw my phone up either.

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as of right now there is no new exploit for the new hboot which comes with the 4.22 ota. just keep checking back here. believe me you will know when an exploit is found.

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as of right now there is no new exploit for the new hboot which comes with the 4.22 ota. just keep checking back here. believe me you will know when an exploit is found.

I was reading on another forum that you could possibly call Sprint to have them roll back the update. Does anyone know about that method?

Thanks ;)

If I have my phone already in the s-off state, but it has the newest HBoot version 2.16.0001 how would I go about rooting it, if there is a way?

If I have my phone already in the s-off state, but it has the newest HBoot version 2.16.0001 how would I go about rooting it, if there is a way?

i have heard that some people was able to root the new hboot with s=off by using a ruu do downgrade back to froyo 2.2. try this one: Supersonic_3.70.651.1-Odexed_signed_teshxx.zip. just run it on your computer and plug your phone in when it tells you to. aftwerwards you can follow the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide then use unrevoked to root your phone.

not sure if that will work, but you can try.

i have heard that some people was able to root the new hboot with s=off by using a ruu do downgrade back to froyo 2.2. try this one: Supersonic_3.70.651.1-Odexed_signed_teshxx.zip. just run it on your computer and plug your phone in when it tells you to. aftwerwards you can follow the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide then use unrevoked to root your phone.

not sure if that will work, but you can try.

Sorry this might be a dumb question, but how do you run that on my computer? There is no exe or anything.

Back
Top Bottom