• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

If I have my phone already in the s-off state, but it has the newest HBoot version 2.16.0001 how would I go about rooting it, if there is a way?

I am not sure that you would have to "root" it as you have security turned off already. You should be able to flash a custom recovery and then the rom of your choice. I may be wrong here but getting s-off is the primary job of rooting and you have that already.

I looked through the forum and found out most of the people are talking about how rooted phone can get gingerbread update. Since my phone is unrooted stock rom with gingerbread, I was wondering if the "rooting for dummies" still works on my phone? Because according to the update time for the post and the rom it saids to support, it doesn't seem to be able to root my phone?
Thanks in advance

If you accepted the OTA update then you likely have the new hboot which currently is not rootable. Power off your phone then hold volume down + power til the white bootloader screen appears. Top left will have a bunch of info. Look to see if it says hboot 2.16. If so, you will have to wait.

I am not sure that you would have to "root" it as you have security turned off already. You should be able to flash a custom recovery and then the rom of your choice. I may be wrong here but getting s-off is the primary job of rooting and you have that already.

Just wondering, where do I look to see s-off or s-on?

Alrighty, I have a newbie question: I've got an Evo 4G running 2.2 and rooted using Unrevoked and I've got the latest CWM. Is there any way for me to upgrade to 2.3 without wiping out everything on my phone? I remember doing this for the 2.1 to 2.2 upgrade, but I haven't seen anything about it for the new one. Is anyone aware of a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Alrighty, I have a newbie question: I've got an Evo 4G running 2.2 and rooted using Unrevoked and I've got the latest CWM. Is there any way for me to upgrade to 2.3 without wiping out everything on my phone? I remember doing this for the 2.1 to 2.2 upgrade, but I haven't seen anything about it for the new one. Is anyone aware of a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

if you are currently on a rooted stock rom then i believe that you can just wipe dalvik cache and cache and flash the the latest ota. you can get the update in the rom/kernel sticky.you will not loose your data by doing that. just make sure to make a nandroid backup before doing it.

if you are currently on a rooted stock rom then i believe that you can just wipe dalvik cache and cache and flash the the latest ota. you can get the update in the rom/kernel sticky.you will not loose your data by doing that. just make sure to make a nandroid backup before doing it.

Worked like a champ-thank you so much.

Just wondering, where do I look to see s-off or s-on?

Power your phone off, wait 10 seconds, then hold volume down+power til the white bootloader screen comes up. In the top left corner will be some info including s-on or s-off. S-off(nand unlocked) means the phone is rooted. S-on(nand locked) means the phone is not rooted.

So my Evo 4G has never been rooted, and now that I updated I want to root it, I haven't found a way to root it yet, but has anyone have any success? And if the rooting method is not yet available, how long do you think it is going to take for it to become available?

So my Evo 4G has never been rooted, and now that I updated I want to root it, I haven't found a way to root it yet, but has anyone have any success? And if the rooting method is not yet available, how long do you think it is going to take for it to become available?
I really dont mean to sound rude, but there is like 3 open threads on the first page alone. Plus a sticky at the very top of the this subforum that goes into blow by blow detail on why we can not root.

There is no way to currently root the htc evo 4g with gingerbread 2.3. There is no way. They might be able to hack it some time in the next month, but I would not hold my breath on that.

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as of right now there is no new exploit for the current hboot (2.16). once there is one it will be posted here. just keep checking back here. you will know when we have root access.

by the way moving the thread.

I really dont mean to sound rude, but there is like 3 open threads on the first page alone. Plus a sticky at the very top of the this subforum that goes into blow by blow detail on why we can not root.

There is no way to currently root the htc evo 4g with gingerbread 2.3. There is no way. They might be able to hack it some time in the next month, but I would not hold my breath on that.

I agree. I feel bad and want to help people who are confused or struggling or have questions and are new to this. Hell, I was new to root only a few months ago!! But the question "I have 2.3 and I am not rooted, can I root?" has been asked, IN THIS THREAD ALONE probably about a half dozen times!! They're in the right thread but NOTHING is read before the post! :(

I and MANY other people here are happy to help anyone but everyone...EVERYONE...young and old, new or not, MUST READ AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT in the thread before posting the same question over and over. I get email subscription updates on this thread and I check to see the SAME question asked and answered :(

Please, everyone and anyone, you've taken the time to post in the appropriate thread...now just READ A BIT before asking a question! :)

I agree. I feel bad and want to help people who are confused or struggling or have questions and are new to this. Hell, I was new to root only a few months ago!! But the question "I have 2.3 and I am not rooted, can I root?" has been asked, IN THIS THREAD ALONE probably about a half dozen times!! They're in the right thread but NOTHING is read before the post! :(

I and MANY other people here are happy to help anyone but everyone...EVERYONE...young and old, new or not, MUST READ AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT in the thread before posting the same question over and over. I get email subscription updates on this thread and I check to see the SAME question asked and answered :(

Please, everyone and anyone, you've taken the time to post in the appropriate thread...now just READ A BIT before asking a question! :)

In my humble opinion, one of the reasons why a lot of people are doing this is that the name of this thread doesn't really point out their problem. So we thought it's an irrelevant thread.

2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs Unrooted EVO with 2.3 wants to be rooted?!

Maybe it's just my bad English?! LOL

Does 2.3 stop all rooting ?

Have read some post that the new OS, 2.3 Gingerbread will forever stop rooting of the HTC Evo--will not be able to ever root again.

Is this true.

No. It is impossible right now, but give the devs a little more time and it will work soon enough.

In my humble opinion, one of the reasons why a lot of people are doing this is that the name of this thread doesn't really point out their problem. So we thought it's an irrelevant thread.

2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs Unrooted EVO with 2.3 wants to be rooted?!

Maybe it's just my bad English?! LOL

I can kinda see what you're saying, but even if the thread title was "Rep. Weiner Endorses Gingerbread 2.3 for Craigslist Picture Posts" people are STILL posting the same asked and answered question without reading anything.

We'll see if ocnbrze changing the title with your suggestion might help...I hope!

Does 2.3 stop all rooting ?

Have read some post that the new OS, 2.3 Gingerbread will forever stop rooting of the HTC Evo--will not be able to ever root again.

Is this true.

that is not necessarily true. though htc was talking about encrypting their bootloaders, they changed their stance and will not be locking the bootloaders. so on that note the latest ota with a new hboot(bootloader) will most likely be not locked. it will take the devs sometime before they will find an exploit. so at the moment yes, you cannot root the latest ota. just keep checking back here on this forum. you will know when an exploit is found.

I can kinda see what you're saying, but even if the thread title was "Rep. Weiner Endorses Gingerbread 2.3 for Craigslist Picture Posts" people are STILL posting the same asked and answered question without reading anything.

We'll see if ocnbrze changing the title with your suggestion might help...I hope!

I wish this will really help since people with experience on this forum are so willing to help noobs like me. I truly appreciate it! And I wanna thank ocnbrze for letting me know about the merge. Thanks again for your hard work :)

I'd like to stay rooted. Do I just download an image or do I unroot first, apply OTA and the get root again?

if you unroot then accept the ota you will loose the ability to re-root. an exploit have not been found yet for the new hboot. you can just flash the rooted stock ota if you want the update. to be honest, it is not all that. there are some amzing roms coming out now that just blow this ota out of the water.

you can get the rooted ota on the rom/kernel sticky.

also please read this:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/347533-official-gingerbread-2-3-rooted-evo-4g.html

Is there a way to? I just swapped out my phone because my old one had a bad port. I updated to gingerbread like an idiot and now cant find a way to root. My old phone was rooted so everything is saved to a titanium backup file. I've done a lot of research and everyone says just wait for someone to it but its been almost two weeks so I'm starting to get nervous/impatient. Thanks for your help

Is there a way to? I just swapped out my phone because my old one had a bad port. I updated to gingerbread like an idiot and now cant find a way to root. My old phone was rooted so everything is saved to a titanium backup file. I've done a lot of research and everyone says just wait for someone to it but its been almost two weeks so I'm starting to get nervous/impatient. Thanks for your help
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
moved and merged your thread.

Unfortunately you will have to wait. They will find an exploit, but there is no telling how long it will be.

Back
Top Bottom