• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 2.3 OTA Update w/ Rooted EVO vs an Unrooted Evo

If I'm going to go this route (after flashing my radios with the HBOOT method, I can't get my 4G to turn on), I just place the radio file in the root of my SD card, and then go through the process to select the zip file and upgrade?

When it says "May require reflashing the kernel afterwards" what does that mean?

again thanks in advance, sorry for all the noob questions

If I'm going to go this route (after flashing my radios with the HBOOT method, I can't get my 4G to turn on), I just place the radio file in the root of my SD card, and then go through the process to select the zip file and upgrade?

When it says "May require reflashing the kernel afterwards" what does that mean?

again thanks in advance, sorry for all the noob questions

ok so that link i posted is for radios that are flashed via recovery and not in hboot. so you just flash as you would a rom.you can place the file anywhere on the card.

as for the "may require flashing a kernel" is just because at the time when this came out we did not have the latest stock kernel. but now we do so you do not have to worry about it. i flashed it with no problems.

just make sure that you flash the combo and not just the radios. anytime you update radios you also need to update your pri, and nv as well.

ok so that link i posted is for radios that are flashed via recovery and not in hboot. so you just flash as you would a rom.you can place the file anywhere on the card.

as for the "may require flashing a kernel" is just because at the time when this came out we did not have the latest stock kernel. but now we do so you do not have to worry about it. i flashed it with no problems.

just make sure that you flash the combo and not just the radios. anytime you update radios you also need to update your pri, and nv as well.

What is my "nv"?

I used the recovery radio image, updated PRI and Profile, still getting the issue that 4G wont turn on (it says turning on, then turning off, and continues to cycle back and forth)
:(

you now not exactly sure what nv is other then it is one of your radios. try wiping dalvik cache and cache and see if that works. also you can try and re-flash your rom.

I am running 2.2 with Unrevoked 3. I have wireless tethering that works great, and I also have Netflix on my phone, among other things. I also enjoy using my HDMI cable.

I was told that 2.3 is not working with Netflix and that Sense 2.1 (XDA) doesn't work with HDMI. I obviously do not want lose those functions. I am obviously going to wait until these things are worked out. I am just wondering, what do I gain if I go to Gingerbread?

Just depends. There are ways to make all of the above work on 2.3 based roms but those ways (custom kernel) break other things like camera view.

If what you have works to your liking...stick with it. Once the source code is released from htc the devs will fix netflix, camera, hulu, overclocking, etc.

FYI this thread belongs in root....and I do believe we have more than one thread going in there on the gb subject

Originally Posted by AndroidSerpent
Hi I'm new here and I wanted to post on this because I have a rooted evo and I want to upgrade to GB. I think I got the overall part of upgrading from rooted 2.2 to rooted 2.3 but just to be on the safe side I'm going to post the steps that I understand. I rooted using Unrevoked 3.

I already have a nandroid backup on my sd card and computer through CWM

1) I go to XDA download rooted and odexed 4.22.651.2 (prefer the simpler one).

2) Save that file to the root of my SD Card.

3) Power down then turn phone back (press volume down + power)

4) Go to recovery wipe data in factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik.

5) Then install zip from sd card. Highlight supersonic 4.22, yest to install. (This is where I'm confused) GB should install then and there right?

6) Reboot system and then go through the entire process of starting up phone like if I had just bought it. Right?

I'm trying to find out the most information I can because I've been told that using unrevoked was not a good idea because I can't download different roms.
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you are dead on with everything you posted. i would also mention that you should use Calkulin's_FORMAT_ALL.zip. it just wipes does the wipe again. just flashed that prior to flashing your rom.

and yes it is definitely not a good idea to unroot. because you will not gain root again until a new exploit is found with the new hboot.

Hello everyone. Like many others I am new to rooting and have a few questions about this new update. The informaton here has been great and the patience with the new folks is commendable, thanks for that. My issue is that right when i think I know what I'm doing I run into contradictory info.

Let me explain what I'm working with here. If I understand all the terminology correctly I believe that I am starting with a rooted stock Sense rom. I believe that to mean that before I rooted I had a store bought, Sprint HTC EVO with the Sense UI out of the box. I then used unrevoked3 to gain root acces (s-off right?) and have not instaled any themes or custom roms. I have installed the following root only apps:

Titanium Backup (TB) - only used it so far to run a batch backup of all user apps + system files that now appear to live in a Titanium Backup folder on my sdcard (couple of hundred files in there it seems, thought it would be one large compressed file...)

SuperUser - because something in the root guide I followed told me I needed it and I have had things ask it for permissions.

CacheCleaner - because I read that it would help with a pesy low space error I was getting (it did)

Wireless Tether - self explanatory - seems to work well if anyone is interested.

That's it, the full extent of my rooting experience thus far...(rooted last weekend).

After reading the above post i thought I had this gingerbread OTA update thing figured out until, that is, I came across this thread:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/348211-quick-guide-rooted-stock-2-3-rom.html

It states the following:

Stock 4.22.651.2 ROM, rooted and ready for your flashing pleasures. This is a completely stock ROM that has had nothing done to it outside of rooting, zip aligning and de-odexing. As always, create a nandroid before flashing.

Nandroid - is this when you go to what I think is called the HBOOT menu (pwr off then vol down + pwr) and select the restore/backup and restore/etc - I have done this and now have a clockworkmod folder on my sdcard with what I believe is a nandroid backup right?

Stock Update
Stock ROM with SU Fix - No Wipe Needed If Coming From A Stock Sense ROM:
4.22.651.2 Rooted & Odexed - updated 06/05/11
4.22.651.2 Rooted & De-Odexed - updated 06/05/11

From what I've read I beleieve that I want the rooted and odexed version as I DO NOT intend on applying any themes to my EVO at this time. However, of particular interest is the
No Wipe Needed If Coming From A Stock Sense ROM:
bit. In the conversation at the beginning of this post AndroidSerpent says
4) Go to recovery wipe data in factory reset, wipe cache, wipe dalvik.
and is told that he/she is right on the money. Seems to be contradictory to what the guide states, no?

Further down in AndroidSerpents post it states
6) Reboot system and then go through the entire process of starting up phone like if I had just bought it. Right?
which seems to me is contradictory to the guide's claim that

Flashing the ROM
Most of what you'll be doing will be done through recovery. So play around with the menus in the recovery image to see what options are there. Start off by doing a NANDroid backup. Since this is a quick guide, I will assume you know how, or can find out how. Next, wipe dalvik-cache. You don't need to wipe data or cache. Now you are ready to flash the ROM. The ROM contains the stock OS (w/ superuser) and stock kernel. All of this is done from the recovery image.

When the flashing is done, you can reboot and see if it worked. Take a quick look to see if your data, apps, homescreens are still there. They should be. If you like what you see, you can stop here. Having the most updated radios is not essential for upgrading to this ROM. If you want to flash radios, keep reading.

Of particular interest is Next, wipe dalvik-cache. You don't need to wipe data or cache. and When the flashing is done, you can reboot and see if it worked. Take a quick look to see if your data, apps, homescreens are still there. They should be.

It seemed that AndroidSerpent was coming from a similar setup as mine being a rooted stock rom right? Am I correct that the two refrenced articles show contradictory info? Which one is right? Basically, I am trying not to brick my EVO and would be just tickled if after flashing the rom I still had all my stuff rather than be back at factory default but with GB. Guess I'd just want to know what to expect however these two articles cause me to think "To wipe or not to wipe, that is the question" (okay, cheesy but you get the point).

So ultimately:
1. Do I need to wipe first or not?
2. Do I have the appropriate just-in-case backups made (TB and Nandroid)?
3. Is my current setup a rooted Sense rom as I described above?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated and I truly hope this helps anyone else who may have had the same questions. Look forward to hearing from everyone. Apologies for the novel...perhaps a bit long winded but I wanted everyone to see where my thought process was coming from.
Thanks again.

I did this just out of reaction...The option to install came up and i hit it not thinking, then my phone reset...ARGG..

At the time, i had the AmonRA's latest Recovery installed (from when i installed a VR_Kindom Rom)... so being it started, i patiently waited, watched, and held my breath.

Turns out, it broke my recovery, un-rooted my phone, but was a fully functional ROM still using 2.3.3 when done. I shut it down to verify the recovery, and it just gave me the famous red exclamation with the triangle.

Luckily I've been doing this for a while, and rounded up a stock rom for 2.1, named it PC36IMG.zip, let it fully do it's thing through the new hboot, and after it finished, i reran the old unrevoked3, which gave me back my root access, readded a recovery (clockworkmod), then i fully flashed a nandroid backup i had just before the update, and was back running and flashing custom roms again...

Hope this helps !!

Hope it helps some others too!! I pretty much figured this is what would happen and avoided the OTA. GOOD that YOU had a backup and the ability to "downgrade" and then work your way back to root and where you want to be now! Hopefully others will read this and realize they should NOT accept an OTA!

Hope it helps some others too!! I pretty much figured this is what would happen and avoided the OTA. GOOD that YOU had a backup and the ability to "downgrade" and then work your way back to root and where you want to be now! Hopefully others will read this and realize they should NOT accept an OTA!

To be clear on this, I asked him later and he still had s-off after the OTA update so he was not completely unrooted. If he had s-on, he would have been stuck with it til they found a new exploit.

Let me explain what I'm working with here. If I understand all the terminology correctly I believe that I am starting with a rooted stock Sense rom. I believe that to mean that before I rooted I had a store bought, Sprint HTC EVO with the Sense UI out of the box. I then used unrevoked3 to gain root acces (s-off right?) and have not instaled any themes or custom roms. I have installed the following root only apps:

So ultimately:
1. Do I need to wipe first or not?
2. Do I have the appropriate just-in-case backups made (TB and Nandroid)?
3. Is my current setup a rooted Sense rom as I described above?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated and I truly hope this helps anyone else who may have had the same questions. Look forward to hearing from everyone. Apologies for the novel...perhaps a bit long winded but I wanted everyone to see where my thought process was coming from.
Thanks again.

Hi...

I took the liberty to trim down some of your post which anyone can refer to in post #407 just above a couple posts or at this link:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-3-ota-update-w-rooted-evo-9.html#post2795675

...just cut out some stuff to get to WHATCHA WANT to know!!

So I too was in the SAME BOAT as you with the SAME questions that I either posted in this thread or similar threads. You appear to have THE SAME SITUATION AS ME:

1. EVO from the store, rooted with unrEVOked
2. Installed a few/various root apps
3. NEVER EVER installed a custom ROM, i.e., off-the-rack, store bought rooted EVO

After looking at the XDA info and posting a few questions here, the following is ALL THAT I DID with no problems to get from my rooted 2.2 to Gingerbread 2.3:

1. Nandroid backup of my current phone with 2.2
2. Boot into recovery, clear Dalvik cache
3. Flash the Gingerbread 2.3 ROM

...that's it!!

As you have done I also had Titanium backups ready and waiting but did not need them. The only thing I did with Titanium after the flash to 2.3 was to backup the new versions of the system apps that were not present.

I did NOT wipe data; did NOT wipe cache; did NOT system reset anything...just did the 3 steps that I mentioned above....and I'm on Gingerbread!!

Now I DID run into a couple problems that were not really related to the rooting itself. After I flashed 2.3 the phone defaulted to HTC Sense and I had to clear the default and choose LauncherPro as my launcher. I also had a problem with Titanium not responding (broken Market links and not backing up new/new version apps correctly) so I simply uninstalled and then reinstalled Titanium and was FINE!!

So, other than my LauncherPro problem and my Titanium problem the flash was a NON-EVENT. Anything and everything backed up or saved on my SD card was safe and sound!!

I'll also mentioned that with my LauncherPro and Titanium problems I wound up REVERTING to my 2.2 nandroid backup, RE-wiping dalvik and RE-flashing the 2.3 ROM...several times actually!! But NEVER EVER had any problem flashing to 2.3 then reverting back to my 2.2 nandroid backup and the re-re flashing back to 2.3. That nandroid backup is literally a MIRROR IMAGE of the state of your phone!! From MY personal experience, if you nandroid right before your flash, you shouldn't have ANY worries!

Hope this dumbed-down version of what I did helps you and allays some of your fears! Just nandroid backup and go do it!! :)

Scudder,
Thanks so much. I was in a bit of a tizzy wasn't I? I am downloading as we speak. So the nandroid backup is what I thought it was right?

Thanks again!!!!

Hi,

I just trade my epic 4g for an evo 4g..i was able to root my epic no problem and it was really easy..so of course i want to root my evo..the thing is, is that its running 2.3.3 and from what i was reading there is no root for 2.3.3...Is that true?? and if so is there any way at all that i can root it..i guess im a little confused..hopefully you can shed some light on this for me and point me in the right direction..Thanx

Sorry if this has been answered..im just really confused..

Hi,

I just trade my epic 4g for an evo 4g..i was able to root my epic no problem and it was really easy..so of course i want to root my evo..the thing is, is that its running 2.3.3 and from what i was reading there is no root for 2.3.3...Is that true?? and if so is there any way at all that i can root it..i guess im a little confused..hopefully you can shed some light on this for me and point me in the right direction..Thanx

Sorry if this has been answered..im just really confused..

Currently there is no way to root the new hboot. You will have to wait a bit. The Unrevoked team is hard at work I am sure trying to find the "needle in the haystack" so to speak that will allow us root access to the newest road block.

2 Quick question. Just wondering if I can update to 2.3 Android and still root my phone. My other question/ problem is I stuck on Android 2.2 and cant update it. I have tried to go under system updates and click on Firmware and Htc software update but it show that there no update available.

2 Quick question. Just wondering if I can update to 2.3 Android and still root my phone. My other question/ problem is I stuck on Android 2.2 and cant update it. I have tried to go under system updates and click on Firmware and Htc software update but it show that there no update available.

If you are rooted DO NOT try and accept the OTA update if it lets you. It can screw up your phone. Go here: [ROM][STOCK] --- Version 4.22.651.2 --- Odexed & De-Odexed --- - xda-developers and download the odex version and flash it like any other rom. It is the rooted stock rom.

The new hboot that comes with the OTA is not rootable yet.

Thanks for the help! I read through the page and couldn't tell the difference between the odexed and the de-odexed, which one should I get?

Thanks for the help! I read through the page and couldn't tell the difference between the odexed and the de-odexed, which one should I get?
so the main difference is that odexed is smaller in size and faster but is not very customizable (no themes), the de-odexed version is much bigger but is very customizable. you can read all about the gingerbread update in the sticky here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/347533-official-gingerbread-2-3-rooted-evo-4g.html. any more questions you know where to ask it.

:( Please I have a huge concern about rooting my phone with 2.3.3, I just got my phone 2 days ago and once I got it Ive been tring to figure out how to root it but my phone have 2.3.3 and I cant find any information :/

My question is if theres a way to root it or go back to 2.2.2?

I have tried with one i found but apparently the phone needed to be rooted before somehow :(

If theres away to root it or go to an older verion I would really apreciate it!

Thank you so much for your time and help!

Back
Top Bottom