• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root About un-rooting

kbrn

Android Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2010
I'm really new to this stuff still.
I rooted my moment thanks to xxbabygirlxx.
I'm running zefie's 12 Patchoob right now.
My moment had stock cl14

And I have seen that there's a new 14.3

Now I'd love to know if someone can please guide me and give me exact links to where I can download the 14.3 and also what I have to exactly do to flash my phone.

I have read a few posts but I get confused and since I'm a little paranoid and scared to mess up my phone I rather make this post.

To my understanding so far I have to use the sprints tool and flash back to stock cl14..
So Should I use the sprint's tool and Flash it with their original tar file and then re flash with zefie's 14.3??..

Thanks in advance :thinking:

You can use the Sprint updater to flash zefie's kernel. No need to re-run the stock cl14 again.

I'm not sure where you can get the Zefie's kernels as he's no longer making them (He doesn't use the Moment anymore), but you can check out the sdx-developers.com site. That's a great community where they are working together to continue to produce excellent kernels and other tools for the phone.

Here's the base kernel I use: joeykrim - SDX Kernel - Final - 1.9.2 - 3/9/2010

I actually use SpeedyRabbit's 1.5 but it's basically the same with some bells and whistles thrown in.

Upvote 0
You can use the Sprint updater to flash zefie's kernel. No need to re-run the stock cl14 again.

I'm not sure where you can get the Zefie's kernels as he's no longer making them (He doesn't use the Moment anymore), but you can check out the sdx-developers.com site. That's a great community where they are working together to continue to produce excellent kernels and other tools for the phone.

Here's the base kernel I use: joeykrim - SDX Kernel - Final - 1.9.2 - 3/9/2010

I actually use SpeedyRabbit's 1.5 but it's basically the same with some bells and whistles thrown in.
Zefie's not making more updates it's really sad.
But As I said in my post I saw somewhere you had to go back to stock before updateing to Zefie's latest kernel.

Thanks for your info though But I'd like to try Zefie's latest before trying something else.
I'll wait and see if someone else replies and can guide me ..

Upvote 0
check the thread "few question" in this forum. its got a link to zefies 14.3. if its not valid ill upload it to my server for you.

Great I downloaded the file.

Now I wanna make sure ..
Since rooted i'm not on stock cl14
using zefies 12 patchoob with the CJ05 SBL

So DO I have to flash stock and then re flash with zefie's??

That's my most important question

Thanks a lot

Upvote 0
Great I downloaded the file.

Now I wanna make sure ..
Since rooted i'm not on stock cl14
using zefies 12 patchoob with the CJ05 SBL

So DO I have to flash stock and then re flash with zefie's??

That's my most important question

Thanks a lot

Its my understanding that you have to use the sprint cl14 to use any of the newer kernels like 14.3. Im new at this as well and learning as I go so that may be wrong, hopefully someone can clarify this.

Also another question was raised. Is there any way to flash cl14 without losing data? 1 instance of coming from zefies cl14 to sprints and the other instance of coming from stock cj05 to sprints cl14.

Upvote 0
I guess I need more help..lol

I've been trying to flash the phone but even though I got drivers installed and my device was recognized before .. Now All I get is a Letter G..

Crazy thing is that It recognizes the phone as I plug it when in normal mode.

Any sugestions??

Upvote 0
Thanks I believe I do have to go back to stock cl14...

I was about to start but my damn laptop won't recognize the damn phone... GEEZ!! lol

yes, you'll need to go back to the sprint CL14 (CL14SBL).

you can backup your data by doing a datatool backup (which is in 10.3) - boot up in recovery (vol down, call, end) and pick datatool. this will save you time.

edit to add: i did this and then flashed 14.3 - had to rename the "tar" data backup file for the new recovery to recognize it... but then it brought everything back to where it used to be (widgets, apps were all there)

as for the whole driver "G" thing, read this thread:
USB Drivers Windows 7 stuck on installing "g" device?

Upvote 0
yes, you'll need to go back to the sprint CL14 (CL14SBL).

you can backup your data by doing a datatool backup (which is in 10.3) - boot up in recovery (vol down, call, end) and pick datatool. this will save you time.

edit to add: i did this and then flashed 14.3 - had to rename the "tar" data backup file for the new recovery to recognize it... but then it brought everything back to where it used to be (widgets, apps were all there)

as for the whole driver "G" thing, read this thread:
USB Drivers Windows 7 stuck on installing "g" device?

Thanks a lot I will give it a try!!

Upvote 0
I did read and tried all kinds of stuff about the letter G issue then I had it recognized as samsung usb composited but still got that yellow triangle and nothing happened.
I wonder why if I could root it in this laptop I just can't get it to recognize it now..

I spent 3 hours here already and nothing =(

33k4rpv.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones