• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

All Things Froyo

I plan to vote with my wallet the next time I upgrade a phone, which is what they will understand better.

Good choice. This is my first samsung product and my last.
My company is evaluating Android tablets for a very large scale product, but due to my experience I have successfully convinced my company from even looking at the Samsung tablet for our phase 2 evaluations.

Why is that I keep seeing other Galaxy S phones in other countries getting Froyo and Gingerbread (in India, maybe). I don't understand? Why does it seem that the U.S is the last for all these updates?

Predict mid January. AT&T is cautious in their release of firmware due to netowrk and other threats. Only wish they were that attentive to the general hardware stuff.

But it kinds fits. Seems that ATT has stringent testing on OS updates, Sony was blaming ATT for their delay in 1.6 to 2.1

Captivate is on ATT we have been promised 2.2 for awhile.

But it kinds fits. Seems that ATT has stringent testing on OS updates, Sony was blaming ATT for their delay in 1.6 to 2.1

Captivate is on ATT we have been promised 2.2 for awhile.

I think it would be a better argument if Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile have all updated their Galaxy S line. (rubiconjp, I know this is the Captivate forum and the Captivate is on at&t.)

I think it would be a better argument if Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile have all updated their Galaxy S line. (rubiconjp, I know this is the Captivate forum and the Captivate is on at&t.)
Look, it's the carriers to blame for this delay, and since this is the Captivate forum, I called at&t out.

I am a software developer in the networking industry, used to deal with at&t, sprint and others on many issues. The QA processes from these large carriers are very similar to each other. The reasons could be related to FCC and other US government regulations, as well as networking/comm engineers moving from job to job within these large telecoms, thus implementing processes strikingly similar to one another.

However I did see large differences in processes between the telecom's and the cable companies.

So I just saw that LG has stepped up and said that all of it's Optimus One line to Gingerbread. This is what I mean; I wish Samsung would just step up and commit.

Look, it's the carriers to blame for this delay, and since this is the Captivate forum, I called at&t out.

I am a software developer in the networking industry, used to deal with at&t, sprint and others on many issues. The QA processes from these large carriers are very similar to each other. The reasons could be related to FCC and other US government regulations, as well as networking/comm engineers moving from job to job within these large telecoms, thus implementing processes strikingly similar to one another.

However I did see large differences in processes between the telecom's and the cable companies.

Have you thought that maybe the carriers are finding an issue with the phone (e.g. GPS) and are rejecting the software due to a defect? I am a software engineer as well; I know how the system works.

Have you thought that maybe the carriers are finding an issue with the phone (e.g. GPS) and are rejecting the software due to a defect? I am a software engineer as well; I know how the system works.
Could be but then we are saying that other carriers in EU, Asia and Canada either don't know about the GPS issue, or simply and uniformly ignoring it/deemed it as a non-showstopper.

I think it is more with the QA processes of these US carriers. They were very similar back then with at&T, sprint and worldcom/MCI. If you look at the resumes of many comm engineers, many have worked at all the large carriers, using the same equipment vendors, etc. Then you have US govt regulations on top of that...

Could be but then we are saying that other carriers in EU, Asia and Canada either don't know about the GPS issue, or simply and uniformly ignoring it/deemed it as a non-showstopper.

I think it is more with the QA processes of these US carriers. They were very similar back then with at&T, sprint and worldcom/MCI. If you look at the resumes of many comm engineers, many have worked at different carriers, using the same equipment vendors, etc. Then you have US govt regulations on top of that...

I don't have any experience with consumerism outside of the US. I know that in the US, companies can face legal issues with selling a defective product. Having to rectify defects may not even be an issue for most countries; I don't know. Corporations usually won't go out of their way to fix defects unless required to by law/government regulations. There may be a hand full of companies that actually care about their customers. If you find one, let me know. :(

I think the EU have very strong, if not the strongest, consumer protection laws in the world. Many EU carriers have already rolled out Froyo for Galaxy S almost a month ago. The hold up is here in the US... we are among the very last.. and it's very frustrating.

Just load a ROM and you got 2.2 It's pretty easy to do with all the tool out now. And you can always flash back to stock. :)

I think the EU have very strong, if not the strongest, consumer protection laws in the world. Many EU carriers have already rolled out Froyo for Galaxy S almost a month ago. The hold up is here in the US... we are among the very last.. and it's very frustrating.

True, but the I-9000 came out months before any Galaxy S in the US so they've had a head start. Also, the fact that I-9000 is the international version means it will carry a larger consumer population than any of he US carrier models. This would imply that Samsung has greater product support for this model. It's silly that each carrier in the US needs their own special model - just another reason for the delays.

I wonder if AT&T will get 2.2 (Froyo) before other carriers upgrade to 2.3?

My son has a Sprint EVO and has had 2.2 for awhile.

I wonder if AT&T will get 2.2 (Froyo) before other carriers upgrade to 2.3?

My son has a Sprint EVO and has had 2.2 for awhile.

Have you played around with that EVO? I'm thinking about grabbing one of those? Since you are also a Captivate user, you'd probably be a good person to compare the two.

Back
Top Bottom