• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Any ROMS?

So im new to all this rom stuff. I just upgraded my phone to 4.0.3 and rooted it. Now im wondering if there are any good roms out there I can flash. I kinda want to try this cyanogen mod thing to see what all the fuss is about... I have the free rom manager app. Ive seen some cyanogen mod 9 roms on that but I dont really know what im doing.:confused:

I went onto rom manager and looked at the roms on there. I didn't even know that it had that option. Anyways it said that cyanogenmod 9 was available for my phone so I downloaded it. But when I installed it with rom manager it won't work. I just get stuck in a boot loop every time and have to restore.

I hope you have fixed it by now.

If not, I remember reading something about flashing, that you need to reset the caches in recoverymode after the install.

No I never fixed it. I had to give up cause nobody replied. I tried the dark side super wipe and cashe wipe but it didn't do anything.

Cyanogen Mod 9 has some bugs and things that arent working. You should really try Jedi Mind Trick which is a really fast rom.

This looks awesome -- will this also work on my Telus T989D?

Yes, all the roms in this guide will work with yours. Download Darkside Cache Wipe and Super Wipe. If you happen to get in a bootloop after flashing a rom, flash Cache Wipe in recovery and it should fix it. Also, before you flash a rom, make sure you have a nandroid backup in case you ever need to restore it in an emergency. A nandroid will save you a lot of headaches.

Yes, all the roms in this guide will work with yours. Download Darkside Cache Wipe and Super Wipe. If you happen to get in a bootloop after flashing a rom, flash Cache Wipe in recovery and it should fix it. Also, before you flash a rom, make sure you have a nandroid backup in case you ever need to restore it in an emergency. A nandroid will save you a lot of headaches.
Just to be clear, the author states that they will "only" work on the American version of the phones... these will work for me too without issue? ;)

Hmm.. it doesn't give me the option to download it without buying. Same thing with other purchased apps. :(

If your on the Page of paid version, go down to related apps and you'll see the lite version of tibu

Edit: oops didn't read a cpl posts up :) are you using the same account that you bought tibu with?

DS

I didn't create a new Gmail account, so I'm not sure why it's asking for me to purchase it again.

I'm not sure either. Is that the only app you purchased that is doing it? Try going to orders & settings in the play store. Does anything show as purchased under My Orders?

I'm not sure either. Is that the only app you purchased that is doing it? Try going to orders & settings in the play store. Does anything show as purchased under My Orders?
You guys are too good lol. And I'm pretty stupid :rolleyes: turns out I didn't purchase a pro version, it was Root Explorer that I did. Ah geeze :p I can now install previously purchased apps. Thanks again :smokingsomb:

You guys are too good lol. And I'm pretty stupid :rolleyes: turns out I didn't purchase a pro version, it was Root Explorer that I did. Ah geeze :p I can now install previously purchased apps. Thanks again :smokingsomb:

Glad you got it working. :)

I've tried a few different ROMs but keep coming back to the stock Telus 4.0.3 (and stay rooted). Nothing seems to be stable enough for a daily driver; main issue is wifi signal range and connectivity (which is not an issue with stock). I'm not putting down Devs, they are all amazing and I'm sure its not easy to tackle all the issues. I found that 2.3.x had more stable custom ROMs than 4.x.x so far, wonder why? I'm just pointing out my findings 8)

For fun I went back, way back, to Mr. X's Telus ROM which is exactly like stock but with no Carrier IQ and a few tweaks. It's based on Gingerbread 2.3.5. I forgot how fast this phone is and might just stick with it until the JB 4.1.x officially comes out for the SIIX.

Back
Top Bottom