• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Atrix OTA v4.1.83 update roll out

Seeing that by going to the Atrix support page on ATT you get this...
And yeah, the update has already been rooted and all that good stuff....

Answer Center | AT&T

Update the Firmware for the Motorola Atrix 4G (MB860)

Instructions:

AT&T and Motorola have released two software updates for the Motorola Atrix 4G. These software packages include bug fixes and stability increases, as well as the following improvements:
  • Update 1:Firmware version update to 4.1.57, and includes the following improvements:
    • Improved multimedia experience with Bluetooth devices, and expanded headset compatibility.
    • Improved fingerprint reader performance.
    • Improved battery life.
    • Display will turn off automatically now while charging directly on wall charger.
    • Improved performance of car dock and 3.5mm jack
  • Update 2: Firmware version update to 4.1.83 (Android 2.2.2), and includes the following improvements:
    • 2G/EDGE mobile hotspot capability
    • Increased potential data speeds
    • Yahoo! E-mail enabled over Wi-Fi
These software updates need to be installed in order, and are available to users via Wi-Fi only for the first 100 days. AT&T recommends that all Motorola Atrix 4G users update their device to take advantage of these improvements.

Update procedure
  1. Connect to a Wi-Fi Hotspot:
  2. An "Update available" message will be displayed on your device.
    NOTE: If a notification hasn't been received, users can manually check for updates by accessing Settings, and then tapping About phone>System updates.
  3. Tap Download.
    NOTE: If not connected via Wi-Fi, users will not be able to start the download.
    1304026443089.Pic1.jpg
  4. Once the download had completed, tap Install now.
    1304026467516.Pic3.jpg
  5. Once the update has installed, your phone will automatically restart.
  6. Once rebooted, an confirmation message will be displayed. Tap OK.
    1304026576065.Pic4.jpg
Unable to update
  1. Verify you are connected to a Wi-Fi Hotspot.
  2. Turn Wi-Fi off and back on.
    1. From the home screen, press the Menu key and then tap Settings.
    2. Tap Wireless & networks.
    3. Tap and uncheck Wi-Fi to disable
    4. Tap and check Wi-Fi to enable.
  3. Power your device off and back on.
  4. Attempt to connect again.
If you need additional assistance, get more help here.

Upvote 0
Seeing that by going to the Atrix support page on ATT you get this...
And yeah, the update has already been rooted and all that good stuff....

Answer Center | AT&T

Instructions:

AT&T and Motorola have released two software updates for the Motorola Atrix 4G. These software packages include bug fixes and stability increases, as well as the following improvements:
  • Update 1:Firmware version update to 4.1.57, and includes the following improvements:
    • Improved multimedia experience with Bluetooth devices, and expanded headset compatibility.
    • Improved fingerprint reader performance.
    • Improved battery life.
    • Display will turn off automatically now while charging directly on wall charger.
    • Improved performance of car dock and 3.5mm jack
  • Update 2: Firmware version update to 4.1.83 (Android 2.2.2), and includes the following improvements:
    • 2G/EDGE mobile hotspot capability
    • Increased potential data speeds
    • Yahoo! E-mail enabled over Wi-Fi
These software updates need to be installed in order, and are available to users via Wi-Fi only for the first 100 days. AT&T recommends that all Motorola Atrix 4G users update their device to take advantage of these improvements.

Update procedure
  1. Connect to a Wi-Fi Hotspot:
  2. An "Update available" message will be displayed on your device.
    NOTE: If a notification hasn't been received, users can manually check for updates by accessing Settings, and then tapping About phone>System updates.
  3. Tap Download.
    NOTE: If not connected via Wi-Fi, users will not be able to start the download.
    1304026443089.Pic1.jpg
  4. Once the download had completed, tap Install now.
    1304026467516.Pic3.jpg
  5. Once the update has installed, your phone will automatically restart.
  6. Once rebooted, an confirmation message will be displayed. Tap OK.
    1304026576065.Pic4.jpg
Unable to update
  1. Verify you are connected to a Wi-Fi Hotspot.
  2. Turn Wi-Fi off and back on.
    1. From the home screen, press the Menu key and then tap Settings.
    2. Tap Wireless & networks.
    3. Tap and uncheck Wi-Fi to disable
    4. Tap and check Wi-Fi to enable.
  3. Power your device off and back on.
  4. Attempt to connect again.
If you need additional assistance, get more help here.
You said the new 1.83 has been rooted?? Can you post the thread so I can update then root. I'm running Gingerblur but that's just for fun all I really care about is the root

Upvote 0
I cannot get this update.

Did everything mentioned above. Turned off wifi, turned off phone. Turned on phone, turned on Wifi. Nothing, phone says it is up to date. WTH!

Is there some pecking order as to who gets the update first??

if you want it that bad, head over to that link i provided to the XDA forum, someone already uploaded the 1.83 SBF update... if you know how to SBF, then you're good to go.. otherwise.. keep trying the normal way of trying to get this update:p... good luck...

Upvote 0
To answer a few questions:

Rumor has it the 1.8.3 update is rolling out. I never got a notification because i downloaded the update.zip from 3rd party and ran it last night. Since it is being officially announced on AT&T and Moto's websites I guess it is public.

you can get the SBF file here
[sbf] olyfr_u4_1.8.3_signed - xda-developers

YES YOU CAN ROOT THIS ROM! It can be rooted using gingerbreak or even better, if you were rooted on 1.57 with gladroot, all you need to do is run the afterupdate.bat again on your 1.8.3 phone and huzaa, its that easy.

YES SIDELOADING WORKS with gladenabler!

Just FYI: Since I have been running it, I have notice call quality has improved. My wifi doesnt randomly drop its connection anymore. Skype and tango audio work fine now. Network speed is MUCH snappier. Things just all around "feel" a bit more smooth and refined.

Yea, all those poor saps that jumped off the Atrix in the first few weeks. We got 2 updates in 2 months and things are running very well for us. Of course an unlocked bootloader would be nice and webtop could use some refining, but all and all this phone kix ass! Rumor going around is that people are getting emails from moto again about another upcoming beta.. maybe its GB? Lol, prolly more bug fixes and maybe 1080p.. but ill take it!

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0
could not get the update to 4.1.83 (already have 4.1.57 -- "system update: says I have the latest version)-- must have something to do with my having the Android version 4.2.1 -- AT&T's site suggest this 4.1.83 update is for Android 4.2.2 -- Do I need to update to 4.2.2 ? or is it even worth it? -- A response would be most appreciated -thanks

Update 2: Firmware version update to 4.1.83 (Android 2.2.2), and includes the following improvements:
2G/EDGE mobile hotspot capability
Increased potential data speeds
Yahoo! E-mail enabled over Wi-Fi

Upvote 0
artbytes: please read my post. That method no longer works as of 11amCST.

Oh - so sad. I'm sure it they will make the update available for everyone soon, though. I posted the same links over at the Motorola support forums. Some people got the update right away and posted their results. However, I went back tonight and all of our posts have been removed. They cited something that I don't understand. Beta's were mentioned and something about not quoting email received from them - neither of which have anything to do with me. So, we can only guess about what it's all about. However, I think that you can all be encouraged that your phones will soom be fixed and that they are working on this for you. I know that I'm really excited about my phone now and happy with my choice.

Upvote 0
The update was pulled from Motorola because no NDA was signed. Until that happens you will have to wait. Lucky to those who got it early, if your like me, you can use the link above + RSD Lite and get it (and yes it is the official update before it was pulled, not just the work around)
Currently flashing the update, RSD Lite is my best friend when it comes to this phone :)

Update: I tried the afterupdate option on gladroot again but I don't think I did it right because I couldn't root it. Gingerbreak did work wonders though and I still have the "Unknown Sources" checkbox in my settings thanks to the previous root (hopefully that never goes away lol) all in all everything looks great :)

Upvote 0
To try to answer more of your questions;

I don't know why some people have been getting the update and others havent.. wierd. But anyone can do the update by either flashing the SBF with RSDlite, or flashing the update.zip in recovery mode.

1.8.3 is the NEXT sequential update for the Atrix. Starting from the 1.2.6 THEN 1.5.7 THEN 1.8.3. YOU CANNOT jump from 1.26-1.83 (according to Moto's website). So you must be running 1.57 in order to update to 1.8.3!

A SBF is a Signed Bootloader File. It is basically the ROM or OS that our phones use. SBFs can be flashed (loaded) onto our phones using a Dev tool from Moto called RSDlite.

The new 1.8.3 update includes Android 2.2.2 which is the next step up from 2.2.1. If you are running 2.2.1, you will be updated to 2.2.2. The 2.2.2 update contains wifi, bluetooth and various other tweeks. The Atrix specifically gets the HSUPA turned on and the audio tweek and a few other minor things.

In order for the Gladroot method for 1.8.3 to work, you MUST have been previously running a ROOTED 1.5.7. So after updating to 1.8.3 you lose the root. Simply plug in to your computer. Make sure USB Debug mode is ON and that the mounting mode is set to NONE or this wont work! Then just open the gladroot folder and click afterupdate.bat. Let it do its thing, the phone will reboot then it should be good to go. AGAIN, YOU MUST HAVE BEEN RUNNING ROOTED 1.5.7 BEFORE UPDATING FOR THIS TO WORK.

If you are rooting for the first time, it would be easier to use the gingerbreak method.

IF you are interested in rooting or flashing the 1.8.3 SBF or update.zip 1.8.3 go to the XDA forum Atrix 4G Android Development - xda-developers and read up on how to do it. Make sure you read carefully and understand the steps There is a chance of borking your phone if you scew up or something goes wrong. So follow the steps carefully, understand what you are doing before you do it, and understand what/how to fix things (if possible) if you do soft brick.

The NDA (Non-disclosure agreement) thing is that when you accept a beta test invitation from moto, you agree to not share the rom or any info pertaining to it. Apperantly someone who was in beta snagged the ROM before moto made it public and posted it on the web. Moto got ticked and started closing the links and informed forum Mods to close threads and links that discussed the ROM or offered it to download. But now that it is public, it is all over the place. So flash and discuss on. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jonnyweb and Roze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones