• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Atrix OTA v4.1.83 update roll out

Eh. Im new.

So you have to root in order to flash?

Edit: Also, how long do you guys honestly think it'll take for Moto to rerelease 1.8.3?

You do not need to be rooted to flash the new ROM. Just have and know how to use the RSDlite and have the 1.8.3 file.

Here is a good write up on how to do it. Just supstitute the old ROM numbers for the new one. This was written when the first update came out and people were wanting to flash 1.5.7 from 1.2.6.

[GUIDE] Flash SBF to Motorola Atrix 4G - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I woke up this morning to no data connection. After toggling airplane mode and checking via the phone for updates 1.4.83 was available. It took probably 10 or 15 minutes to install. I didn't time it as all I did was turn on wifi for the download while I was getting ready for work, hit install when it was done, and put it in my pocket before heading out.

I've done a few speed runs with Speakeasy (web) and Spedtest.net (App) and have noticed downloads in particular are faster. Uploads are faster in some spots but not so much in others. I've only tested the speed on the drive in to and at work though so my sample size is very small.

While I always thought the phone was pretty quick pulling data I'm confident that this update can only help and thus far bringing this site up seems snappier. If the update fixed the data dropouts that seem to require a reboot ever three days (line two of the update notes seems to address this), or increased the frequency of spontaneous reboots to about every three days all will be well.

One thing is certain however. This sure beats Verizon where every time my Droid got an update the data connection got slower.

Upvote 0
I tried to do this over gingerblur with 1.5.7 rooted and it doesnt even install..it gave me an exclaimation with an android figure when it restarted....

Anyone know a way around this? I REALLY do not want to help to wipe the thing...im too lazy to redo all that

I used to have that problem when I was trying to update to 1.57 and it didn't let me because of the web top mod. If you know how to use RSD Lite then try it that way, that's how I updated and I was also running gingerblur on 1.57

Upvote 0
I tried to do this over gingerblur with 1.5.7 rooted and it doesnt even install..it gave me an exclaimation with an android figure when it restarted....

Anyone know a way around this? I REALLY do not want to help to wipe the thing...im too lazy to redo all that

Same thing happened to me (I was also rooted on 1.57 with gladroot). I tried the official version of motorola software update utility and was able to update using that (Though it took close to an hour for the complete operation)
After that I used gingerbreak to root all is well as of now..

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me (I was also rooted on 1.57 with gladroot). I tried the official version of motorola software update utility and was able to update using that (Though it took close to an hour for the complete operation)
After that I used gingerbreak to root all is well as of now..

so you didn't have to remove your data or gingerblur?

is there any way to delete that update file if it was downloaded OTA?

Upvote 0
Before I updated, I used my phone to check for updates, too, and it said none were available. That doesn't work. As I said before, you have to install the Motorola Software Updater on your computer to check for the updates. Follow the directions above.

Got my Atrix Tuesday at lunch. Early that evening, I got the first OTA update, and shortly after, the second one. both updates, together, moved me to Android 2.2.2 as well as the current build. I've not installed the Motorola Software Updater on my computer, but I can attest to the fact that OTA updates are a reality.

-Mike

Upvote 0
Even before the new update, I am not able to reinstall Skype after uninstalling it because of poor audio. The error message is "insufficient memory." But, there is plenty of memory plus a new 8 gig SD memory card. The new update did not help.

That is frequently the case with OTA updates. The only reason I accepted the two that I received on Tuesday night was because I had not yet rooted the phone, and could see no harm in accepting them. Bottom line with me is that OTA updates are a thing to be avoided at all costs - all my other phones being rooted, with custom roms on them.

OTA updates will among other things, if accepted, un-root your phone and sometimes prevent you from, immediately re-rooting. They're guaranteed to screw with your phone, rearranging things in the way the phone *manufacturers* feel they should be. In developers of custom roms, I have trust, but in Motorola and HTC, I have none.

-Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones