• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T Atrix OTA v4.1.83 update roll out

Ok so the update was completed.

Android 2.2.2 and version 4.1.83 confirmed.

First speed test I ran, only had 3 bars:

1.48Mbps d/l
1.04Mbps u/l

Download isn't impressive but the upload has never been more than 0.35 so theres the definite upgrade there.

Edit: Second speed test, had 4 bars this time:

2.98Mbps d/l
1.24Mbps u/l
I did the radio SBF flash and that's about what I average too. Which app do you use to test yours??

Upvote 0
Ok so the update was completed.

Android 2.2.2 and version 4.1.83 confirmed.

First speed test I ran, only had 3 bars:

1.48Mbps d/l
1.04Mbps u/l

Download isn't impressive but the upload has never been more than 0.35 so theres the definite upgrade there.

Edit: Second speed test, had 4 bars this time:

2.98Mbps d/l
1.24Mbps u/l
It sounds like the upload speeds are still capped just at a higher value, 1250 perhaps? I am questioning since my unbranded X10 gets at least that as upload speed.
can anyone confirm root after this update?
I would like to know this as well.

Upvote 0
updated using the link provided above. now showing android 2.2.2 and v4.1.83. Did a speed test and was consistently getting in the range of 1.4mbps uploads. Prior to the update I would get in the 190-300kbps range.

When it program checks for updates, it says that there is no software update for my device.... Currently at Version 4.1.57, Android 2.2.1. WTF?

Upvote 0
Yeah so do I... but like you said my upload speeds have a huge jump in them and the download REALLY depends on my signal and my luck lol although I don't really know what "Ping" is for, can anyone tell me?

The ping was cut in HALF, which to me, is the most awesome part of the update. That's the time that it takes the REQUEST and RESPONSE for the data you want to get to the server and back to you, not the actual data itself. So you could have a 10 mbit connection going on but if your ping was like 2000ms (2 seconds) a request for a web page would take awhile to reach out and find, but the actual page load, once it was found to be a working site, would be instantaneous. Ultimately ping, IMO, in the world of mobile data is king. Traveling to Los Angeles I have a 3mbit connection on my phone but my ping is 600-800ms and loading a webpage takes an eternity.

Hopefully that makes sense? I'm not all that great at explaining things.

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0
I really hope all the people that jumped ship to the Inspire or Iphone because they thought the Atrix would not live up to billing are happy with their decision today. We have 2 updates to their, is it, ZERO updates with the Inspire and well the Iphone will always be the Iphone, nuff said. :D

Another perspective is that many smartphone consumers are tired of being burned by manufacturers releasing hardware/software before it's ready. Many consumers have fulfilled their smartphone requirements with a more suitable product best suiting their needs. Best bet is for folks to research prior purchase. Satisfied with my Atrix, wife's happy with her Inspire. :cool:

Upvote 0
Oh, please, all this excitement about an update that finally gets the phone to 3G speeds (HSUPA). Folks, this is billed as a "4G" phone. Tell me where the 4G is and when its coming. Then maybe I will get exited. Or maybe not, as I expected that there was 4G available (at least HSPA+) and that this phone could utilize it when it came out, months ago.

Its like I walked into a car dealership and they sell me a new car promising 50 mpg, and I see after using it that it only gets 10. After months of back and forth with the dealership I get them to to tweak the engine and now I am getting 30 mpg. So I should be happy about that? Not.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure I came late to the party and they've since removed the update from their official support site (Software Update Landing Page - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA and click on the Atrix icon). The software updater now points to this update: https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/SoftwareUpdateforATTATRIX4Gversion.4.1.57.pdf which we received about a month ago. The full suite of HSUPA and Froyo 2.2.2 updates are missing. From what I gather, the revert happened around 11am CST, and all users attempting to update to 2.2.2/HSUPA after that haven't been able to. AT&T rolls out its updates in batches, meaning that groups of users gain the ability to update their phones piecemeal, instead of everyone on the network all at once. Lame. I'm also worried that because this has happened on a Friday, the rest of us (read: the majority of us) won't see any real movement on this until Monday. Here's to hoping the batch selection process is automated; knowing AT&T and Motorola, it probably isn't.

Reactions: Roze and kasperg
Upvote 0
To get the update, you can't check through your phone. You have to download and install the Motorola Updater on your computer. I had to reboot my computer to get it to work right.

Then, you run the updater software on your computer, plug in your phone and follow the directions.

Go here to get the updater:

http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Android_Products/Software_Update_Landing_Page

Then click on the picture of the Atrix phone.

On the next page, you have to follow the directions. Check the box that says you have read step 3, and then you can click the gold download arrow. That will download the Motorola Software Updater to your computer and get you started.

Before I updated, I used my phone to check for updates, too, and it said none were available. That doesn't work. As I said before, you have to install the Motorola Software Updater on your computer to check for the updates. Follow the directions above.

Upvote 0
The ping was cut in HALF, which to me, is the most awesome part of the update. That's the time that it takes the REQUEST and RESPONSE for the data you want to get to the server and back to you, not the actual data itself. So you could have a 10 mbit connection going on but if your ping was like 2000ms (2 seconds) a request for a web page would take awhile to reach out and find, but the actual page load, once it was found to be a working site, would be instantaneous. Ultimately ping, IMO, in the world of mobile data is king. Traveling to Los Angeles I have a 3mbit connection on my phone but my ping is 600-800ms and loading a webpage takes an eternity.

Hopefully that makes sense? I'm not all that great at explaining things.
Yes it did :) Great explanation. Now I fully understand what ping is, lol. I knew it was the time between sending/receiving but I didn't know how important it is. No wonder people get pissed off if they get more than 150pings on their speedtest, lol

Sorry if this is a noobish question but I'm just not exactly sure; when does the phone is upload speed? Like what apps or actions does one rely upload speed on?

Download speeds affect my ability to download an app, stream and browse the web right?
upload speed really affect you if you use skype/qik for video conferencing (the person on the other line see you clear instead of lagging). Also if you like to upload pictures to picasa or facebook or upload videos to youtube. Higher HSUPA means faster upload, so it's a good thing :)

Pretty sure I came late to the party and they've since removed the update from their official support site (Software Update Landing Page - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA and click on the Atrix icon). The software updater now points to this update: https://rsddownload.motorola.com/download/SoftwareUpdateforATTATRIX4Gversion.4.1.57.pdf which we received about a month ago. The full suite of HSUPA and Froyo 2.2.2 updates are missing. From what I gather, the revert happened around 11am CST, and all users attempting to update to 2.2.2/HSUPA after that haven't been able to. AT&T rolls out its updates in batches, meaning that groups of users gain the ability to update their phones piecemeal, instead of everyone on the network all at once. Lame. I'm also worried that because this has happened on a Friday, the rest of us (read: the majority of us) won't see any real movement on this until Monday. Here's to hoping the batch selection process is automated; knowing AT&T and Motorola, it probably isn't.
Well...got to say that sucks bloody watermellon seeds big time :(

Upvote 0
Before I updated, I used my phone to check for updates, too, and it said none were available. That doesn't work. As I said before, you have to install the Motorola Software Updater on your computer to check for the updates. Follow the directions above.

...I did follow those directions, but the moto updater program said that there arent any updates...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones