• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Baseball 2023

They came up just a wee bit short last night. At least they pushed it into extra innings.

Tonight my daughter and I are taking in a local Wind Surge game at our new to me stadium. They are a minor league team in the Texas league. I'm anxious to see the new facility called the Riverfront Stadium that replaced the long standing Lawrence-Dumont Stadium where I attended countless games. The new ballpark opened for the 2021 season and I've yet to step foot in the place. I'm excited.

The new stadium was state of the art with many different seating options. Besides standard stadium seating they have an area where you sit on bar stools with a long table to rest your elbows and drinks and eats. They call it on the rail seating. They had tables with 4 chairs each you could watch the game like at a picknick. From the left field line to dead center was a sloped grass area where you could spread out a blanket and watch from the knoll. From dead center to right field line were the bullpens. A wide concourse surrounded the entire ballpark with the field always in view and vendors and bathrooms opposite the field. Down both 1st and 3rd baselines above the vendors were box seats and two different climated club/restaurants. It really was quite impressive. We spent almost as much time walking around the park and taking in the sights as we did watching the game.... which we won 7-4

The new stadium was state of the art with many different seating options. Besides standard stadium seating they have an area where you sit on bar stools with a long table to rest your elbows and drinks and eats. They call it on the rail seating. They had tables with 4 chairs each you could watch the game like at a picknick. From the left field line to dead center was a sloped grass area where you could spread out a blanket and watch from the knoll. From dead center to right field line were the bullpens. A wide concourse surrounded the entire ballpark with the field always in view and vendors and bathrooms opposite the field. Down both 1st and 3rd baselines above the vendors were box seats and two different climated club/restaurants. It really was quite impressive. We spent almost as much time walking around the park and taking in the sights as we did watching the game.... which we won 7-4
did you eat there? how was the food?

did you eat there? how was the food?
Actually no. We ran to an upscale sandwich shop that was near the stadium instead. I had a spicy Italian sub and garlic fries. I'd never eaten there... not really an old fart sort of establishment. The food and service were both great. I was pleased to find Shiner Bock on tap at the ballpark. Five bucks per draw but Ice cold. No cash transactions at the park. Everything is plastic or you do without. No vendors walking the stands either. "Ice cold beer here"... I missed that. I saw a chili dog being eaten near me. It looked legit and messy. I wanted one.

i miss my old Dodger dogs. last year they changed the dogs. it used to be Farmer Johns hot dogs. its now made by Papa Cantella's. its ok. its just not the same dog any more.
Major League Baseball Sport GIF by MLB

The next time I go to the park I'll be grabbing me one of those chili dogs... you can bet on it. My daughter bought the tickets. Some of her second graders were being acknowledged for their reading achievements prior to the first pitch. She treated me to the game and I told her I'd treat her for dinner. She wanted to do the warehouse or whatever it was called for subs following the game. There is always something special about a ball park dog.
I did notice that there is a Freddy's there. A locally started burger franchise that serves great burgers and frozen custard. I can see that as a ballpark future as well.

The next time I go to the park I'll be grabbing me one of those chili dogs... you can bet on it. My daughter bought the tickets. Some of her second graders were being acknowledged for their reading achievements prior to the first pitch. She treated me to the game and I told her I'd treat her for dinner. She wanted to do the warehouse or whatever it was called for subs following the game. There is always something special about a ball park dog.
I did notice that there is a Freddy's there. A locally started burger franchise that serves great burgers and frozen custard. I can see that as a ballpark future as well.

We have a Freddy's out here and it may be the same... they have the smashed patties and shoestring fries. i wonder it they are the same Franchise ?

It's the same franchise. I did a major home remodel for a guy that owned three Fredy's at that time. He treated us to lunch at his local Fredy's once a week while we were there. A nice guy and hard working sort. He personally mowed all three properties weekly and his wife ran the books for all three establishments. He spoke of how strict the rules were to keep a Fredy's franchise. They have secret shoppers at least once a month to check on cleanliness, food preparation, friendliness, etc. One ding and they are reprimanded, two dings calls for a counsel with headquarters, and three dings you lose your franchise and all that you have invested. They are damn serious about quality food and quality experience. Anything less and you can't own a Fredy's. I was left with the impression that the franchise is hell bent on maintaining the originator's dream and standards. I doubt that you will ever have a less than stellar experience at a Fredy's. If you don't like their food, okay but you can expect the same food and quality at ever store.

If the Padres start doing better after Tatis comes back Thursday i will be pissed, it shouldn't take one guy for that team to start playing the way they are getting paid....... if you can't win with just Tatis and Musgrove being out but luckily they both come back this week.

I'm so blessed that my provider gifted me with the MLB ticket. I'm watching four games right now. The yanks are unfortunately one of them.
If not for the ticket.. I, too, would be forced to watch the yanks. I got home just in time to watch the Royals lose another close one. They were just outscored by 9 runs. Somehow they have managed to win 4 games this year. They are in a close battle with Oakland for the worst team in the majors.

Back
Top Bottom