• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
I'm in the same boat. I was getting over a day, sometimes 2 full days on a battery before froyo. now I cant last 7 hours, without even using the phone at all. Yes, I have done a hard reset. And yes, I turned off google talk and the facebook syncing.

Try updating your profile as well. That made a huge difference for me.

Since Loading Froyo my battery drain situation has gone from bad to worse. I mean this phone was bad on power management before Froyo now its to an almost un acceptable level. If they don't come up with a fix fast I'm going to have to sell this power hungry pig on e bay and buy something else. Yes, I did a master reset after Froyo turned Google talk off as well as shut down all of Sprints power robbing pre loaded garbage and I still can't get the battery to last more than 5 hours. Its just ridiculous.

Please review this thread for tips on how to fix battery issues:

http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.htmlhttp://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo-new-post.html

How do you access auto updates in the Market? I don't see that option in my EVO. :confused:

Open up Market and hit the Menu button, then select downloads. Select the app that has a pending download, or select update before the app is installed and you will see a check box for allowing auto updates to that app up top.

Try updating your profile as well. That made a huge difference for me.

Did that too, didnt work. Whats wierd is, if I go to the battery stats page in the settings, all I ever see is Cell Standby, Phone idle, Android system, and display. So something from the system is using all the battery.

T
I'm going two full days of regular use. (about 1/2 hour of phone calls/day, 5-6 hours/day of streaming pandora or playing podcasts with the screen on in the car, 400-600txts/day, average of 20-30mins of gps use/day, checking forums, 3 push email accounts, and a few games when I have downtime). I'm on 3g for almost all of that time, wifi when I remember to turn it on, use bluetooth for calls. It seems to me that the people having poor battery life are doing something wrong.

and "tests" right after a hard reset are complete bunk. Your phone needs time to stabilize with use for a few days anytime you adjust major amounts of core software. Between calibrating the battery life indicators and getting all the programs through their first-run setup sequences, a change in the operating system equates to needing time to settle in.

There is no way you get 2 full days use doing all that each day without charging at all.

I am on the .6 release of Froyo with very few apps installed and I am not using social networking apps.

My battery life is bad. I have used all of the battery tweaks listed in various threads and nothing helps. I am not looking for troubleshooting tips, but more curious to see how many people are having poor battery life or other issues since Froyo. I know there are plenty of threads like this but I created this so we could have a poll as some members here are claiming this is a very isolated incident.

I opened a support case with HTC requesting a way back to 2.1. My phone had great battery life prior to this update.

I did a hard reset which cured the 100% awake time, but did not fix the battery issue.

I plan to call this issue into Sprint as soon as HTC tells me there is no way back to 2.1. I encourage all people that are having the same problem to open a support case. This is the only way we are going to get this fixed.

I am no troll or trouble maker, as a matter of fact, I having been waving the Android flag since I had my Hero. I love this phone! But I can't live with the my battery total draining in 4 hours.

I am at 2:31 minutes since unplugged and have only 30% battery life remaining.

I dont get why there are some people with battery trouble after 2.2. Sorry to hear it, man.

I have had good battery life since the first update, and even better since 2.2. I take my phone off the charger at 530am and it easily lasts till 10pm with moderate useage. My GF makes it all day on her EVO and shes is a text-o-holic... she easily sends over 100 texts a day.. plus email's and other light useage.

Sorry about your situation that sounds terrible! I haven't experienced ANY new battery issues since updating, it's the same kind of life I was getting before which I am totally happy with. Good luck fixing your issues! (by the way, have you done a hard reset and then just used the phone without installing any new apps to see how it does?)

My Evo runs an 18 hour day on one charge without difficulty. Usually have 30% or more battery remaining. I leave 4G turned on all the time as well but do have facebook and google talk turnd off as well as gps and wifi execpt when I need it.

So i need help determining if my battery life is worse than i think it is. I was at work most of the day, so I used my phone for about 25-30 minutes. (sent a few texts/checked my facebook) This is how my batter stats are looking right now:

unplugged: 7h and 37m

cell standby:37
phone idle:31
android system:23
display: 7
wi-fif: 2

im at 68% right now.

compared to some of you guys, how am i doing?

My battery life was questionable but it's fine now. The facebook update was a big help (1.3.1) and possibly some of earlymom's tweaks that I did. It's about the same as it was before (15-20 hours with about 30% awake time)

So i need help determining if my battery life is worse than i think it is. I was at work most of the day, so I used my phone for about 25-30 minutes. (sent a few texts/checked my facebook) This is how my batter stats are looking right now:

unplugged: 7h and 37m

cell standby:37
phone idle:31
android system:23
display: 7
wi-fif: 2

im at 68% right now.

compared to some of you guys, how am i doing?

Here is mine.

unplugged: 2h 55m 15s since unplugged

cell standby: 34
Phone idle: 22
Maps: 22 (Not sure why...?, GPS is off, used maps to lookup place to eat)
Android System: 15
Display: 5
Mediaserver: 2

Battery level is down to 20%

Since I can't vote twice in the Poll, my wife's EVO is having the same issue. She did an upgrade to 2.2 and her phone is currenly at 100% awake time.

Here is mine.

unplugged: 2h 55m 15s since unplugged

cell standby: 34
Phone idle: 22
Maps: 22 (Not sure why...?, GPS is off, used maps to lookup place to eat)
Android System: 15
Display: 5
Mediaserver: 2

Battery level is down to 20%

Since I can't vote twice in the Poll, my wife's EVO is having the same issue. She did an upgrade to 2.2 and her phone is currenly at 100% awake time.

I guess mine isn't too bad then :confused: I am just trying to decide if I should do the things in the foryo fix thread.

My battery lasted about 12hrs today with my normal usage. I'm pretty conscious of turning things off when i'm not using it (3G, GPS, Wireless, etc.)

Did some texting, web surfing, youtube videos, talked on phone a good bit.

I'm going two full days of regular use. (about 1/2 hour of phone calls/day, 5-6 hours/day of streaming pandora or playing podcasts with the screen on in the car, 400-600txts/day, average of 20-30mins of gps use/day, checking forums, 3 push email accounts, and a few games when I have downtime). I'm on 3g for almost all of that time, wifi when I remember to turn it on, use bluetooth for calls. It seems to me that the people having poor battery life are doing something wrong.

and "tests" right after a hard reset are complete bunk. Your phone needs time to stabilize with use for a few days anytime you adjust major amounts of core software. Between calibrating the battery life indicators and getting all the programs through their first-run setup sequences, a change in the operating system equates to needing time to settle in.

hahahaha......lies

Yeah i'm not having any issue with FB 1.3.1.

Worse than ever. And funny thing is I got a 3500mAH battery last week and it was flawless on 2.1, now it's a piece of shit.

Just wanna mention, know its been said 100 times in this thread but, if youre having bad/worse battery life with 2.2, try
http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html#post1302611

May seem a little overwhelming at first, buts its rather straight forward and I personally seen great results. Dont forget to thank Earlymon and other contributers if it fixes your problem!

I had no battery issues until 2.2 was release. I have tried these suggestions and they have zero impact on my battery life.

There are no reasons why HTC/Sprint can't fix these new issues, but these issues need to be reported.

Anyone that is still having battery issue post 2.2, please open a support case with Sprint or HTC or both.

+2

My wife's and my EVO both now plow through the battery is about a 4 hour period.

I am opening a case with Sprint and asking it remain open until this issue is fix. I have also contacted HTC via support and requested a way back to 2.1 until they have fixed these bugs. I encourage everyone else to the same.

Back
Top Bottom