• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
Sorry I can't get the system to load the pic

If you cant figure out how to post a simple pic on this forum, I seriously doubt your skills in running your EVO properly.:eek:

Get an Iphone I heard they were easier to use.

confused.jpg
http://steviez.badlybent.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/confused.jpg

I think there is truth to the claims since the update my battery lasts like 3 to 5 hours. I hate reset and everything i don't know what's the problem.

Ok I just got Off the phone with Sprint. I have recorded over 3400 minutes within a 30 day cycle so something is really wrong because I just do not use my phone that much. The other day a friend of mine in California called me and asked why I called him at 320am and I said I didn't and he must be mistaken. Now im wondering if this thing isn't making phantom calls and not hanging up and thats whats causing the battery to go dead. Sprint wants me to bring it in for service he said after looking my bill over the usage activity has an "unusual" pattern.

what version of facebook are you using?

a new feature for 2.2 is auto updates in the market. a few apps come with this feature on by default, facebook is one of them

turn off auto updates in the market for facebook and uninstall the update. the new facebook update keeps the phone awake. i know facebook announced that 1.3.1 fixed it. but for me and others ive seen around in the forum, facebook, and the market comments it did not.

be nice to make this a sticky as alot are bashing 2.2 when its facebooks fault

I'll add a reference to this thread in the 1st post of my sticky - hopefully, that will help draw further attention to this issue and your experiences combatting it.

It seems that you might spend most of your battery energy in this forum complaining about your phone. But, seriously I think that most likely one of your radios is right at the edge of reception. The only times my phone has serious battery drain is when I drive around with 4G on or wi-fi enabled and it keeps seeking signal.

Ok I just got Off the phone with Sprint. I have recorded over 3400 minutes within a 30 day cycle so something is really wrong because I just do not use my phone that much. The other day a friend of mine in California called me and asked why I called him at 320am and I said I didn't and he must be mistaken. Now im wondering if this thing isn't making phantom calls and not hanging up and thats whats causing the battery to go dead. Sprint wants me to bring it in for service he said after looking my bill over the usage activity has an "unusual" pattern.

Sounds to me like you've got an app that's hacked your phone. I see you've done the factory reset but you haven't mentioned what apps you've loaded on the phone since then. The phone can't dial itself and 3400 minutes a month is yack time (over 100 minutes a day) is even more than my wife does which is alot of yacking if you couple that with other normal uses like texting, email and web surfing. Did you test this out after doing the reset without loading any apps?

Yesterday I did 128 minutes of talk, surfed for at least 90 minutes, sent 2 dozen texts, about a dozen emails and have 49% battery left after 18 hours. Something is using your phone without your knowledge.

Sounds to me like you've got an app that's hacked your phone. I see you've done the factory reset but you haven't mentioned what apps you've loaded on the phone since then. The phone can't dial itself and 3400 minutes a month is yack time (over 100 minutes a day) is even more than my wife does which is alot of yacking if you couple that with other normal uses like texting, email and web surfing. Did you test this out after doing the reset without loading any apps?

Yesterday I did 128 minutes of talk, surfed for at least 90 minutes, sent 2 dozen texts, about a dozen emails and have 49% battery left after 18 hours. Something is using your phone without your knowledge.

If you were to start with a totally clean phone and run it for a couple days before putting on any apps it would tell an interesting tale.

an hour and fourty minutes talk time per day (total) is alot to u?

an hour and fourty minutes talk time per day (total) is alot to u?

It is when you don't know it's happening. The point was that some days might be 400 minutes, others 50 minutes. We don't know. Add in the other 'normal' usage of the phone's features and try to figure out why HIS phone drains to nothing while my phone lasts 18 hours on 50% doing the same things.

I'm convinced something with the 2.2 software is keeping the phone awake. I ran tests after 2 hard resets where I installed various apps in one test and I didn't install any apps in the other test.

In both instances awake time/uptime were great PRIOR to shutting down the phone and restarting it.

Again, in both instances, AFTER restarting the phone, no matter if I had any apps installed or not, wake time and uptime were always are the same.

I emailed HTC about this and they said nobody else has been complaining about battery life or awake time vs. uptime and if they did, HTC would develop a patch to correct any issues.

So... if you're experiencing any battery issues and/or awake time/uptime problems, please send an email to HTC so they can look into this and get it fixed! :D

i updated a friend's evo to 2.2 and ever since her battery barely makes it 7 hours before it dies..i have tried doing a hard reset, signing out of gtalk, updated the prl, uninstalling Facebook but still nothing.. my friend is begining to hate me for doing the update. i dont get my evo until 8/15.

i updated a friend's evo to 2.2 and ever since her battery barely makes it 7 hours before it dies..i have tried doing a hard reset, signing out of gtalk, updated the prl, uninstalling Facebook but still nothing.. my friend is begining to hate me for doing the update. i dont get my evo until 8/15.

it's not the OS, it's an app in all likelihood. you have to figure out which one it is. i don't know that there's a easy way to do that. try finding EarlyMon's sticky thread "How to Fix Froyo"

I upgraded to 2.2 as soon as my EVO was activated yesterday. So far the battery is draining fast. I'll have to play with it some more, and change some of the settings.

I'm in the same boat. I was getting over a day, sometimes 2 full days on a battery before froyo. now I cant last 7 hours, without even using the phone at all. Yes, I have done a hard reset. And yes, I turned off google talk and the facebook syncing.

All I have extra is Weather bug elite (installed this since launch day) Solitaire card game, Battery indicator, Mute, and color notes, thats it.

I'm going two full days of regular use. (about 1/2 hour of phone calls/day, 5-6 hours/day of streaming pandora or playing podcasts with the screen on in the car, 400-600txts/day, average of 20-30mins of gps use/day, checking forums, 3 push email accounts, and a few games when I have downtime). I'm on 3g for almost all of that time, wifi when I remember to turn it on, use bluetooth for calls. It seems to me that the people having poor battery life are doing something wrong.

and "tests" right after a hard reset are complete bunk. Your phone needs time to stabilize with use for a few days anytime you adjust major amounts of core software. Between calibrating the battery life indicators and getting all the programs through their first-run setup sequences, a change in the operating system equates to needing time to settle in.

The first day of the update mine seemed horrible. I removed about 8 apps and soft reset the phone and it has since been much better. Most the apps were game demos and a flash light app. I'll probably still pick up a spare for emergencies though.

why do people keep blaming 2.2, its facebook 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 that is draining the battery. its keeping the phone awake. a new "feature" with 2.2 is auto updates in the market. so even tho 2.2 comes with facebook 1.2 as soon as you enter the market facebook updates. turn off auto updates for facebook in the market and uninstall the update and watch how long your battery lasts

edit: someone needs to make a sticky for those that missed the news

How do you access auto updates in the Market? I don't see that option in my EVO. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom