• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
Yea it does go down kinda quick for me too but I only talk through bluetooth so that could explain why in my case.

None of that explains how you charge it to 100
Turn it off unplug it and then turn it on in the morning and it starts off at 95. If it is not on or plugged in then what the hell is the problem?

maybe...
when you turn it on (reboot the phone .. not wakeup)..
the phone has to do a LOT of stuff!!!!
run many apps
find all the signals
test all the hardware
test all the radios (turn them off again per user settings)
creating and checking cache
start apps and moving them to the background
rearranging memory as it starts apps

the phone is on in less than a minute.. the screen is siting at the homescreen.. but the phone is busy for maybe 5 mins or more.
burning power in the background.. till it is finished with its boot up process.

My battery drains extremely fast when I talk on the phone. I just had a 5 min conversation and my battery went from the mid 90s to the mid 80s. The other day it went from 53% to 20% on a 10 min call. Is this normal? If not what could be causing this?

that is bad!

that would mean.. you can only have a phone conversation for less than 1 hr; starting from 100% battery power.
:eek:

better take that into a sprint repair center... show them.

maybe a bad battery.

my battery has been very up and down. after "fixing froyo" and doing various battery saving tips like turn off 4G, background data and auto syncing i was getting decent life. I could go almost 8-10 hours (moderate use) without a charge. last 2 days my battery has been draining very fast with the same settings and usage. im getting maybe 6 hours tops. my phone is on my desk at work not being touched for 2 hours and battery dropped from 80 to 60% with NO USAGE. Keep in mind i turned off "always on" mobile data and syncing. here is my up and awake time
Uptime 147:06
Awake 47:23

is that normal?

I have a question... how many of you are running the Facebook App version 1.3.1? It was updated because of battery drain but it still keeps the EVO from sleeping and drains the battery. I also found that after update things that I had set to not sync were back to syncing like News and Stocks.

Hey everyone, sorry to hijack the thread here, but I didn't want to create yet another battery thread. I tried googling this issue, but I didn't find anything. Today I purposely wore my battery down to about 15%, then shut off the phone & placed it on a charger to fully charge the battery. After about 1:45, the green LED indicator came on, signalling a full charge. With the phone still on the charger, I turned on the phone, and when it started up, the LED indicator turned orange, and the system showed only a 90% charge. Does anyone know why this would happen? Just curious. Thanks!

Hey everyone, sorry to hijack the thread here, but I didn't want to create yet another battery thread. I tried googling this issue, but I didn't find anything. Today I purposely wore my battery down to about 15%, then shut off the phone & placed it on a charger to fully charge the battery. After about 1:45, the green LED indicator came on, signalling a full charge. With the phone still on the charger, I turned on the phone, and when it started up, the LED indicator turned orange, and the system showed only a 90% charge. Does anyone know why this would happen? Just curious. Thanks!
2 things I see.

1, as soon as the green light comes on, these phones stop charging, so you are running off battery while the led is green.

2, turning this phone on is like turning a mini computer on. it takes some juice. Now, I wouldn't know if 10% is normal for this, but these are my guesses.

I just recently started getting insanely slow charge times. Before with my old phone and new phone (I had a Evo replaced because it was overheating and freezing up) I used to get an average of 1% charge every few minutes plugged in with USB only and about 1% a minute plugged into the wall. Now sometimes I can go 15 minutes or more with it only charging 1%!

I just recently did the Froyo update and a hard reset after that. Plus I never have it signed onto the internet while charging and I’m pretty sure I shut down most of the apps that may be running. This is getting very frustrating, combined with the horrible battery life these issues are making me regret I ever got this phone.

I wiped my phone and reloaded only the apps I use. I got 2 days and 9 hours before I got the warning to plug in my phone to charge in 2.2.

I wiped my phone and reloaded only the apps I use. I got 2 days and 9 hours before I got the warning to plug in my phone to charge in 2.2.

I can get about the same with my phone, but only by using it to place maybe two five minute calls, and playing less than an hour of Pandora.
The rest of the time the phone is asleep.

When I am online or using Pandora a lot, I can see less than two hours.

i use an app killer and also run without animated wallpapers etc.

When you guys say that you are getting several days worth of use, surely you mean that this is not the actual 'awake time' right ?

Someone was telling me awhile ago that with smartphones it's best to totally deplete the charge when you first get it, then get a full charge and do it again, then you should be good with spot charging etc. Any truth to this?

Yes. It's called 'conditioning'. I was told about this when I had battery problems with my MacBook. See this article from the eHow website: <http://www.ehow.com/how_4797458_condition-cell-phone-battery.html> .

Rule of thumb is do it maybe once a month to keep the battery in good condition.

However, if anyone tells you that you need to do this every night, that's bogus.
A VZN salesman tried to tell me that I needed to do that with my Droid because I was having battery drain problems. There are batches of bad cell batteries out there.

So I was wondering if anyone has tried contacting HTC about the trickle charge issue? If not do you think it would be worth a try? Seems like its a problem everyone has...all the guys I know with EVOs have this issue. I just hate losing 10% right off the batt...yeah I know I can put it back on the charger for 30minutes but this seems lame for such a sick phone ya know?

So I was wondering if anyone has tried contacting HTC about the trickle charge issue? If not do you think it would be worth a try? Seems like its a problem everyone has...all the guys I know with EVOs have this issue. I just hate losing 10% right off the batt...yeah I know I can put it back on the charger for 30minutes but this seems lame for such a sick phone ya know?

Why don't you do what everyone is doing by reading my battery tips page in the sticky? As soon as the light turns green on the EVO, unplug the phone and you will not get that initial drop in battery life you experience.

I can get about the same with my phone, but only by using it to place maybe two five minute calls, and playing less than an hour of Pandora.
The rest of the time the phone is asleep.

When I am online or using Pandora a lot, I can see less than two hours.

i use an app killer and also run without animated wallpapers etc.

When you guys say that you are getting several days worth of use, surely you mean that this is not the actual 'awake time' right ?

I'm quoting since last charge not awake time.

I'm at 22 hours with 67% battery as I type this. I've made a couple calls, checked my emails and have sent several txts today.

Why don't you do what everyone is doing by reading my battery tips page in the sticky? As soon as the light turns green on the EVO, unplug the phone and you will not get that initial drop in battery life you experience.
Why dont you respond to someones post instead of being a tool?
Im asking if anyone has contacted HTC...I know its been discussed in the forum and taking my phone off the charger once it hits green is impossible since I am sleeping. Prick.

Way to really get in good with the regulars there...

BTW, no I didn't waste a second emailing a bunch of people who can care less what I think... I rather come on here and discuss it with people who have no say in the matter LOL...

Way to really get in good with the regulars there...

BTW, no I didn't waste a second emailing a bunch of people who can care less what I think... I rather come on here and discuss it with people who have no say in the matter LOL...

I'm sorry but i have to agree, the "regulars" here can be quite rude alot! Not everyone can be as perfect as the "regulars" and the only way for someone to learn sometimes is to have things explained. People say "oh no reason for name calling" well that should go for the "regulars" that trash and bag on people constantly and quite frankly this is probably the worst forum i have been on for that. Don't get me wrong I love Android Forums but there are a few "regulars" that are honestly @ssholes!

I agree, but if you come to a forum, and spend 1 minute max typing a new thread, at least have the decency to expect it...

I use to spend a LOT of time moderating the truck forum I was on for five plus years... It takes a lot of work...

I don't like it when regulars are high and mighty too, but as a new member, you really should "feel out" a forum before calling people tools and such, cause you for one as a new person don't know who is who yet...

I'm new myself, but trust me, I take my time to seek out the bad seeds and just stay away... If you get personal on your 3rd post on a forum, there are other issues to be dealt with...

Honestly, Slick didn't deserve to be called a tool less anything with what he posted if you want my 2 cents...

Don't let your phone charge overnight. Instead Charge it until it turns green and disconnect it. You'll see that it will take at least 30mins to an hour for it to drop from 100% to 99%. If you only charge it until it turns green. I no longer let me phone charge all night. When I come home from work I charge it until it turns green and leave it uncharged all night. When I wake up I'm still at 96% battery life.

Agreed, he didn't deserve to be called a tool but his response was laughable. Who's going to standby and watch their phone charge? lol

I agree that us "newbs" should be using the search function as much as possible, but when it comes to a topic like the battery sticky, its a major PITA to go through and read that mess. Alot of us don't have time to sit here and read through hundreds of posts all the while posting 40 or 50 replies everyday. ;)

When I get home, the phone goes on the charger and I involve myself with something thats called 'a life'. Although my wife would disagree that this happened during the first 3 weeks I got the Evo.. hehe. I wake up, unplug it, check the phandroid and engadget apps (which will drop it to ~90-95%), and then plug it back in before I take a shower and get ready. By the time I'm out the door, its perfect.

Back
Top Bottom