• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
Just so ya know, I was in the same spot. Tried all the battery tips, and still nothin. Turned out that HTC just shipped a lot of really crappy batteries (with some good ones in there as well).

Bought 2 replacement batteries and a charger on ebay for $10 including shipping, and my battery life went from roughly 2-3 hours to the 28-30 range.

The tweaks are nice, but they are still tweaks. I haven't heard of any of them having a vastly profound effect on anyone's battery life.

Just so ya know, I was in the same spot. Tried all the battery tips, and still nothin. Turned out that HTC just shipped a lot of really crappy batteries (with some good ones in there as well).

Bought 2 replacement batteries and a charger on ebay for $10 including shipping, and my battery life went from roughly 2-3 hours to the 28-30 range.

The tweaks are nice, but they are still tweaks. I haven't heard of any of them having a vastly profound effect on anyone's battery life.

Okay, first you don't understand phones. Secondly, you don't understand Android. Third, did you even read my post? I guess you didn't. The phone will lose 1% an hour which means your phone can last only 4 days in idle mode. Usage is going to drain the battery no matter how you slice it. 90% of people problems are their phone is sitting and they are losing battery juice. Or they never initialized the lithium ion battery in their phone which sounds like that is something you didn't do. I never said the phone will not drain as usual through normal usage. Learn to read...

Okay, first you don't understand phones. Secondly, you don't understand Android. Third, did you even read my post? I guess you didn't. The phone will lose 1% an hour which means your phone can last only 4 days in idle mode. Usage is going to drain the battery no matter how you slice. 90% of people problems are their phone is sitting and they are losing battery juice. Or they never initialized the lithium ion battery in their phone which sounds like that is something you didn't do. I never said the phone will not drain as usual through normal usage. Learn to read...

No, I don't think you understood what he said. There really were a small batch of bad batch sent out. I was having the same issue where even a hard reset wouldn't give me more than 4-5 hours of idle with no usage. The new battery came in and now I can easily idle 2 days with low usage. They let me keep the bad battery, so if I pop that one in, I still get the 25%/hour drain. The reason I tried was because I was hoping my original battery could become my backup battery, but it's just no good.

No, I don't think you understood what he said. There really were a small batch of bad batch sent out. I was having the same issue where even a hard reset wouldn't give me more than 4-5 hours of idle with no usage. The new battery came in and now I can easily idle 2 days with low usage. They let me keep the bad battery, so if I pop that one in, I still get the 25%/hour drain. The reason I tried was because I was hoping my original battery could become my backup battery, but it's just no good.

[B said:
Funksultan[/B] ;1398283] The tweaks are nice, but they are still tweaks. I haven't heard of any of them having a vastly profound effect on anyone's battery life.

No, I know what he is talking about.

Here is something happen to me these two days and i have no idea why.
my phone's battery has always last me all day before 2,2 or after.
but starting from aday ago and today, my battery went so quick that only last half day and i barly use it, most tof time i'm working so its on sleep.
i have everything turn off as i always do before and all the data syncing are manual only. no life wallpaper or weather info.

does anyone have same problem these two days ?
i was full charged all night and unpluged 7:30am till now 2:30pm i have like 40% and i barly use it today. like sent one text messege. what happen??!!

Here is something happen to me these two days and i have no idea why.
my phone's battery has always last me all day before 2,2 or after.
but starting from aday ago and today, my battery went so quick that only last half day and i barly use it, most tof time i'm working so its on sleep.
i have everything turn off as i always do before and all the data syncing are manual only. no life wallpaper or weather info.

does anyone have same problem these two days ?
i was full charged all night and unpluged 7:30am till now 2:30pm i have like 40% and i barly use it today. like sent one text messege. what happen??!!

Personally, I've seen a process or two go bonkers from time to time on an otherwise working phone.

**IF** you've changed no settings or installed any updates, try a reboot.

July 8th to Sunday August 15th - Phone runs great! I love this phone

Monday August 16, 2010 - 6:00AM full overnight change

Watched 1 video for above 2 minutes.
Attempted to email a file that was too big to send.
Rest of the time siiting on desk.

11:30AM battery dead.

Tuesday August 17, 2010 - 6:00AM full overnight change

No usage - left on desk.

11:30AM battery dead

5:30PM - Took phone into Altamonte Springs Sprint Store. They
said battery was fine and turned some things off.

Wednesday August 18, 2010 - 6:00AM full overnight change

Received only 1 phone call for 1 minute. Rest of time on desk.

5:30PM - Took phone into Sanford Sprint Store. They
said battery was fine and installed Advance task Killer

My question is. Why did my phone start running bad on Monday. Was it an update or App I installed? I hope I don't have to go back to the Sprint for a 3rd time.

Suddenly the last few days my battery has been terrible. I had always been so impressed. Did so well. I don't know what changed. I watch my Running Services, so it's not that. Haven't even downloaded any apps lately. I have Froyo since launch, but it was fine until just the last couple days. I'm baffled and frustrated.

Hi Evofrompre,

I think I'm having the same problem. I personally think it is a resent update that is causing the problem.

Thank you for the information.

Personally, I've seen a process or two go bonkers from time to time on an otherwise working phone.

**IF** you've changed no settings or installed any updates, try a reboot.

Hi big evo dog

I'm having the same problems. I think it is an update because it was working great last week.

Thanks for the info.

Check your Uptime and Awake time by going to Settings > About > Battery. If they are close or match, there is your problem. If you did an upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 you should perform a hard reset on your phone.

You will lose all of your programs, but they can be reinstalled. Your address book will be preserved via Gmail. Your SD card will be fine. This should drastically improve your battery life.

Good Luck!

Go spend 20$ on 3000 chinese battery (check out the Review section) and no more battery issues. I got almost 14 hours of full fledged EVO awesomeness yesterday. I have an awake and up time of 1 hour 51 minutes right now and still at 95%

July 8th to Sunday August 15th - Phone runs great! I love this phone

Monday August 16, 2010 - 6:00AM full overnight change

Watched 1 video for above 2 minutes.
Attempted to email a file that was too big to send.
Rest of the time siiting on desk.

11:30AM battery dead.

Tuesday August 17, 2010 - 6:00AM full overnight change

No usage - left on desk.

5:30PM - Took phone into Altamonte Springs Sprint Store. They
said battery was fine and turned some things off.

Wednesday August 18, 2010 - 6:00AM full overnight change

Received only 1 phone call for 1 minute. Rest of time on desk.

5:30PM - Took phone into Sanford Sprint Store. They
said battery was fine and installed Advance task Killer

My question is. Why did my phone start running bad on Monday. Was it an update or App I installed? I hope I don't have to go back to the Sprint for a 3rd time.

it dies at 11:30am at work everyday...

so i theorize that it must be something to do with your work area .. something has changed.... maybe the towers or some new equipment at work that is interfering with your signal.

suggestion.... wait till weekend.. when you are a way .. far away from work area. seee how fast it dies there.
or
charge it at work... take it home.. see how far into the night it last.

Check your Uptime and Awake time by going to Settings > About > Battery. If they are close or match, there is your problem. If you did an upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 you should perform a hard reset on your phone.

You will lose all of your programs, but they can be reinstalled. Your address book will be preserved via Gmail. Your SD card will be fine. This should drastically improve your battery life.

Good Luck!

What is close? Mine is Up time 20:13 and Awake is 13:38

Mine is 4:41 Up and 2:42 awake. I have been heavily using mine today since they just lauched a 4G tower in my area. Your awake time is heavy, but it really depends on how much you have been using it? Somedays when I am in the car alot, with Pandora and GPS running, my uptime is 85% or more. Other days maybe 20%. Depends on the usage.

The biggest thing to lookout for is 100% uptime, meaning a program won't allow your phone to sleep. Happened to me when I first upgraded and my battery only lasted about 4 hours. Again, a hard reset took care of most of my battery issues.

Not sure how much you're actually using it, but that seems fine. You just don't want the two numbers to be close to each other.

A good way to test if you have programs causing your phone to not go to sleep is to record both times and immediately turn the display off for 3 mins or so. Then turn the screen back on and compare the times.

Your Up time should have increased by 3 and awake shouldn't have moved.

If they both went up by 3 mins then you have a program keeping your phone awake and draining the battery.

1 app I know that's been causing people issues was the new FB app. Not sure if it's been really fixed yet, but I have no issues with it.

Good Luck!

The reset worked!

It most have been an App I installed or an update. I had Sprint re-set it back when I bought it. Went from 6 am to 5 pm with 90% left on the battery.

Thanks Zombdroid

Hey all,

This is my first time posting, so please go easy on me. I have an Evo that is stock and running froyo.

I love it, but since last monday, my battery drains really really quick and I haven't changed any settings on it.

I get off work at 5, and usually my battery is around 60-65% full when I leave... Last friday, it was about 15% when I left, and today its only 3PM and I'm down to 36%. I am using advanced task killer and have hardly anything auto syncing, just email every hour or so. I have turned of 4G, GPS, etc. I don't really use any intense widgets, either. As stated above, I've made no change to the phone that would explain this. I live in Chicago and float around the suburbs a lot. Anyone else experiencing this???? Thanx

Hey all,

This is my first time posting, so please go easy on me. I have an Evo that is stock and running froyo.

I love it, but since last monday, my battery drains really really quick and I haven't changed any settings on it.

I get off work at 5, and usually my battery is around 60-65% full when I leave... Last friday, it was about 15% when I left, and today its only 3PM and I'm down to 36%. I am using advanced task killer and have hardly anything auto syncing, just email every hour or so. I have turned of 4G, GPS, etc. I don't really use any intense widgets, either. As stated above, I've made no change to the phone that would explain this. I live in Chicago and float around the suburbs a lot. Anyone else experiencing this???? Thanx

You may have an app or process that's gotten itself into some out-of-control situation.

Have you tried pulling your battery for half a minute and re-starting?

And - welcome to the forum!

Yes you aren't the only one. I have noticed a drop in battery life as well. I have disabled things and it's still not what it was when I first got the phone. I ordered a 3000 mah battery on ebay hoping that will take care of the problem

Actually, strangely enough, my battery life has greatly improved over the last week or so.

One thing I never realized, I have read that the large screen takes a lot of juice to stay powered, but I never realized how much. I used to just lower the brightness, turn off everything but 3G, and have the phone on my desk "awake." Usually when I go to lunch, I had maybe 60% left (off the charger for about 4 hours).

One day I forgot and left the phone in my pocket (had already turned off everything but 3G), with the screen locked/off. When I went to lunch, I had about 90% left.

So, even if you are not using the phone any more than you are used to, perhaps you have the screen on, when you didn't before?

Back
Top Bottom