• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
Whenever Im at work I have the Evo in my Case on my belt. Today I was busy and did not touch it let every call go to voicemail, when I checked it when I left. It was almost dead with no use. Apparently when a call is received the screen comes on and does not turn off. When I pulled it out the screen was lit and on but it was stuck at the lock screen. So for 7 hours straight the phones screen was on just sitting their. Why does the screen not timeout after a call is received and you dont touch it?

Any input would be appreciated on this

Maybe while it was in your pouch it was rubbing the screen and keeping the device on..also the blinking notification light drains your battery a little also..well atleast when I leave my phone alone when a text or i miss a call..just my little .02 to try to help

The blinking notification light won't cause any significant drain, especially since it shuts off after about 5 minutes.

Screen not shutting off... I am not sure on that, but like the poster above said, it may be rubbing on it keeping it on.

Hows your signal? Might wanna check if youre roaming or sitting on 1-2 bars. Possibly try setting it on your desk? idk your situation just an idea Sounds like its possible you are lingering in and out of a signal.

I have my phone in my pocket all the time (my painter's pocket) and have calls go to voicemail all day when I'm at work... No it does not drain like this... Nor does rubbing keep my screen on either, and my leg is like touching the screen side...

Kinda odd tho... Might want to let it happen again on purpose just to see if it is confirm-able that it happens...

Whenever Im at work I have the Evo in my Case on my belt. Today I was busy and did not touch it let every call go to voicemail, when I checked it when I left. It was almost dead with no use. Apparently when a call is received the screen comes on and does not turn off. When I pulled it out the screen was lit and on but it was stuck at the lock screen. So for 7 hours straight the phones screen was on just sitting their. Why does the screen not timeout after a call is received and you dont touch it?

Any input would be appreciated on this

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me when I first came over from the darkside :) (left apple) and purchased my EVO. I wanted to take full control of the screen lighting up/or not and in the display settings I set "Screen Timeout" to "Never turn off". Well I started running into problems with battery life almost right away because the screen will always light up when you get a call, however, if the settings is set such as described above, it will NEVER TURN BACK OFF. Check your Display settings. Oh and for your information, if the screen is in timeout mode/"off", it will not/at least it shouldn't come on, just because it may be touching your case in some way. It's pretty obvious, that can be tested out any time ya feel like testing it assuming that the device is ON and the screen is in TIMEOUT mode, just rub your fingers accross the glass, does it come on, it shouldn't.

Another scenario: Assuming that you have all settings correctly, you get a call and the backlight comes on AND your phone screen keeps touching a part of your case, then it's going to stay on even if you have the screen set up to time out in a certain period of time. If this is what's happening you probably need to explore getting another case that don't touch your phone screen.

It was set to screen never Time out, I fixed to time out after a minute, hopefully that solves it. As far as my leg making it turn on I thought it had the screen that needed a human touch to complete the circuit to make it work, The reason a stylus would not work to operate the screen, I cant remember what it is called im pretty drunk right now. Thanks for the input.

It was set to screen never Time out, I fixed to time out after a minute, hopefully that solves it. As far as my leg making it turn on I thought it had the screen that needed a human touch to complete the circuit to make it work, The reason a stylus would not work to operate the screen, I cant remember what it is called im pretty drunk right now. Thanks for the input.

You should be fine in the case from now on. It does require a specific touch to keep the screen going but not that in your pockets its possible to manipulate the screen with your leg if you have thin pockets.

Hey all,

This is my first time posting, so please go easy on me. I have an Evo that is stock and running froyo.

I love it, but since last monday, my battery drains really really quick and I haven't changed any settings on it.

I get off work at 5, and usually my battery is around 60-65% full when I leave... Last friday, it was about 15% when I left, and today its only 3PM and I'm down to 36%. I am using advanced task killer and have hardly anything auto syncing, just email every hour or so. I have turned of 4G, GPS, etc. I don't really use any intense widgets, either. As stated above, I've made no change to the phone that would explain this. I live in Chicago and float around the suburbs a lot. Anyone else experiencing this???? Thanx

1. Uninstall Advanced Task Killer - It is useless at best
2. What is your up time vs. awake time? (Menu>Settings>About Phone>Battery)
3. Update to the new PRL if you haven't done so yet.

And check that you didn't accidentally sign in to Google Talk app. That one will drain you fast if it's keeping you logged in. From the app drawer, open the Talk app and check the settings. Make sure you disable auto-sign in, and then manually sign yourself out.

I haven't really timed how long my battery last on a full charge or a regular day.

But I know after moderate usage (I have 3G on, GPS on, screen brightness to 20%, and sync interval of 3~4 hours) and I noticed I went from 56% to 14% in 10 hours. Of course that's moderate usage :D

1. Uninstall Advanced Task Killer - It is useless at best
2. What is your up time vs. awake time? (Menu>Settings>About Phone>Battery)
3. Update to the new PRL if you haven't done so yet.

Which one should be higher?

Up Time or Awake time?

mine was 29minutes for up time and 4 minutes for awake time
Is that good?

I have had my phone since launch and have not had any problems. The battery was not great but was ok. After the froyo update it got a little worse but then I did research here and made some adjustments and the battery was really great for a few days. My up time and awake time were always different and no issues. About 4 days ago I noticed my battery going rather quickly. I looked at my up and awake time and they are the same. I have noticed the back getting really hot at times.

I only have about 10 apps installed and none are new. I go into applications and it shows that Facebook and Flickr and Stocks are running. I dont use these apps and I force stop. When I turn my phone off and back on, they are running again. I dont know how to get my awake and up time to be different again. I have tried to research here and have tried to do what I have found, short of a hard reset. My talk is not auto sign in and I did manually sign out. I LOVE this phone, just a little lost right now.

Any help will be much appreciated. I will continue to read up more here also.

Thanks,
Paul

I have had my phone since launch and have not had any problems. The battery was not great but was ok. After the froyo update it got a little worse but then I did research here and made some adjustments and the battery was really great for a few days. My up time and awake time were always different and no issues. About 4 days ago I noticed my battery going rather quickly. I looked at my up and awake time and they are the same. I have noticed the back getting really hot at times.

I only have about 10 apps installed and none are new. I go into applications and it shows that Facebook and Flickr and Stocks are running. I dont use these apps and I force stop. When I turn my phone off and back on, they are running again. I dont know how to get my awake and up time to be different again. I have tried to research here and have tried to do what I have found, short of a hard reset. My talk is not auto sign in and I did manually sign out. I LOVE this phone, just a little lost right now.

Any help will be much appreciated. I will continue to read up more here also.

Thanks,
Paul

When you go to your battery screen, click on battery use and see what is using the most %.
That will give you an idea what is draining the battery the most.

incase you didnt see this ^^^ I just got 1 day and 4 hours.
dancingcool.gif

I just did all of these except for the autosync. Hopefully it helps. My Batt life has been suffering :confused:

Delete anything on your phone involving advance task killer!!!!! My battery would only last about an hour and when I go to bed at night and wake up my phone would be off. Mind you it was at 100% before I laid down but as soon as I deleted that task manager it went back to working normal

Which other programs aside from Facebook have been identified as causing 100% wake times?

My evo has consistently sucked after 2.2. I tried Earlymon's hard reset and everything on Slick's battery tip page and still only pull 6-8 hours doing next to nothing. My awake time and up time are the same and I can't tease out why. I've download spare parts/ battery left to see if there were any programs in partial wake but nothing jumped out as obviously sucking up power.

Any other suggestions? God I hope they root this thing so I can go back to 2.1 where life was simple and yet it worked.

OMG!!!!

I did the steps in post #960 yesterday. I charged my phone to 100% this morn and took it off when I headed to work at 8am. Usually I charge my phone at my desk at work throughout the day. I use it moderately through the day. Today...I did not charge it AT ALL. My Juice plotter shows it was at 100% at 7:28am...my low batt indicator came on tonight at 10:04pm. This is epic to me cause my phone would die during the day before I did these steps. Do it, people.....it works!!!

These steps:

1. Remove advance task killer. It doesn't work with froyo.

2. In the App drawer, click on "talk" and "sprint zone" uncheck all the notifications and auto sign-in boxes.

3. Unclick autosync in settings.

4. keep wifi on

4. Lower screen brightness. keep at 50% or below.

5. Disable "always on" mobile data. This is one of the biggest battery savers. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks. Tap "Enable always-on mobile data" to uncheck the box.

Back
Top Bottom