• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
HTC has to one day fix the issue that is happening in their phones. THe phones are causing the issues with not charging to 100%. At best guess I believe it gets to around 90 to 95% and reports that as full when in reality it isn't full.

I wonder how long before they admit the error or do they just move on

Hey cabbie - I'm pressed for time - but there was a thread in the Support and Troubleshooting sub-forum claiming that some sort of battery widget not only helped zero in on things - but actually improved battery life somehow.

It wasn't Spare Parts or anything we've already chatted about - do a search on that over there - look for a thread that was active on this in the last two weeks. If that fails, search from the main forum. If you can't find it - let me know, I'll try to track it down asap (but later, mmmk) for you.

I thought it was snake oil at first - but I remember clearly becoming VERY intrigued. I didn't have any trouble - so I didn't think about it further.... dang!

Anyway - let me know.

If someone finds this thread can you post it back on here please. I searched but did not find anything

OK i unplug my phone at 5am every day. i go to bed around 10 pm. i unplug my phone at 6 am right before i go to school. i use my phone all day at school, using the browser and texting friends. By the end of the day im at like 60-70%. The only way to get this battery life is to train your battery.
1. Charge your phone all night while it's on.
2. Turn off your phone and unplug and then replug it in so the orange light comes back on to show that its charging.
3. Once it turns green, unplug it and replug it in another 5-6 times.
4. turn your phone back on and then you're done.
every morning when you go to unplug your phone, just hit the power button and drag the thing to un-lock it, and let the clock and the other stuff update after sleeping all night. That helps alot!
This fixed my battery and nomatter what i do to it, it doesnt die.
These are my settings:
GPS: enabled
Animations: all animation
Wifi,blutooth,4g: off
screen timeout: 1 min
brightness: auto
i only have 4 widgets, battery widget, home clock with weather, calendar, and bookmarks.
if you have any other questions please feel free to pm or email me at any time.

so do you unplug your phone at 5 am or 6 am ? Not sure thats gonna make a diffrence but unplugging and topping off 5-6 times seems abit much but if it works for you thats fantastic.

OP: I have pretty much the same schedule as you and have my phone configured pretty much the same way as you. I do a simmilar technique as you as well, except I omit your step 3, which seems a little hardcore to me (but if it works for you great!) and leave my phone on all night. I use the phone quite a bit durring the day and usually end up with 20% left.

I am rooted running Fresh 3.2. Phone unplugged at 8am. I have 51% left at 12:14 am. 4G off, BT off - wifi and GPS on. Receive around 150 emails a day (immediate sync), send around 5 from phone. 30 min of web browsing, 1 hr of music playback.

key is to use setcpu to underclock phone when it display is off. helps immensely. battery drains at 1% per hr even with hugh email downloads.

Some people aren't understanding so im going to go into more detail. I can also make a video if you want.

1. At night make sure your phone is ON and then plug it in
2. When you wake up turn off your phone.
3. When the light goes green, unplug it, wait 2 or 3 secs, and then plug it in again.
4. Do step 3 at least 3-4 times.

*this also helps my battery*
every day right before you unplug your phone, hit the power button, then slide the slide to unlock thing, and then wait till your time updates. After your time updates then you can unplug it. This gives me another 5% or so. But every % counts so...

pm me if you have any more questions.

So are you saying let it charge all night. Wake up, unlock it....power off. Plug it back in...wait till light turns green...unplug, light goes off. Plug back in, wait till green...and do this 6 times??

Those 5 minutes all I did was check three emails, send two texts and used the web for maybe 3 minutes loading up slickdeals.com. After those five minutes, the battery discharge/usage ratio seemed to be more believable. It's as if the battery was sucking its stomach in while i was sleeping then let it all out once i started using the phone -_-

deceiving...

The battery levels aren't measured perfectly. It may only show a drop of 2%, but actually drop 10% and vice versa. Overall your battery time at 10% should be the same everyday if you use it the same way. The percentage is just a measure of battery voltage which is, in reality, a best guess.

i guess it's not too bad beacuse when i get <30% it lasts longer than it does with a fuller charge.

one time i charged the phone to 87% and then restarted the phone and it came up to 100. so it seems you're correct with it being just estimates.

I see the same phenomenon. indicator is confused. This is the same reason why so many people think they can extend battery life by topping off x number of times. It just confuses the indicator to stay maxed, when the real charge may be lower. But... whatever makes you feel better :)

This Friday I was charging my EVO at work and realized I left the cable on my desk. I did not feel like driving back to the office and figured I'd just buy a new cable on Saturday. After stopping at a couple places and not wanting to pay insane prices for cables, I decided I'll just do without the phone all weekend and deal with it on Monday.

As I plugged my phone in to charge this morning I can report it has been more than 2 days and 17 hours since I took the phone off the charger. I know this because that's the time it says on the battery info... the phone had not died!

I admit, I didn't use the phone much. Did not have any phone calls and didn't spend hours playing Alchemy, but I did respond to text messages and emails all weekend long.

The only thing I did out of the ordinary to save battery as long as I could was to lower the display brightness all the way. Definitely would not have been able to read the screen outdoors, but was plenty bright enough to see inside my home.

As I said in another post, ever since I got my Evo two weeks ago my Battery Use showed Android at 96%, Cell Standby at 2%, and Phone Idle at 2%. Last night I turned off my phone for the first time and now the list is different. Android is only 23%, the other two are in the 30%s, and Display is 6%. Is this normal?

On a possibly unrelated note I noticed that my battery was 100% when I turned the phone back on this morning, and after almost two hours of absolutely NO use, it was 90%.

If the list has Android listed as 96%, that means your phone isn't sleeping like it should be. Other wise.... the second list is normal.

As for the battery dropping that fast, mine usually drops the first 10-15% like it's not even there most of the time, but it still lasts normally through the day. It's because (I've watched my phone do this as well) once it hits fully charged when it's plugged in, it stops charging the battery completely. Then, it'll let the battery drain normally by letting the phone run off the battery (still plugged in) then once it hits 90%, it'll throw back on the charge. Remedy for this: about 20 minutes before you have to leave, unplug your phone, and plug it back in.

If the list has Android listed as 96%, that means your phone isn't sleeping like it should be. Other wise.... the second list is normal.

As for the battery dropping that fast, mine usually drops the first 10-15% like it's not even there most of the time, but it still lasts normally through the day. It's because (I've watched my phone do this as well) once it hits fully charged when it's plugged in, it stops charging the battery completely. Then, it'll let the battery drain normally by letting the phone run off the battery (still plugged in) then once it hits 90%, it'll throw back on the charge. Remedy for this: about 20 minutes before you have to leave, unplug your phone, and plug it back in.

Well, the weird thing is that even with that first list (Android at 96%) my battery was fine and didnt even seem to drop that quickly. Now all of a sudden after turning it off and charging it, then turning it back on, it's doing these things. Can turning off the phone cause that?

It's now at 80% and I've barely used the phone today! It's never done this before. Was turning off the phone a bad idea?

Rebooting the phone is NEVER a bad idea. I say reboot one more time and see if the problems still persist. If so, it might be something you have installed. How much stuff do you have on your phone?

Rebooting the phone is NEVER a bad idea. I say reboot one more time and see if the problems still persist. If so, it might be something you have installed. How much stuff do you have on your phone?

I don't have much installed. Maybe ten apps at most but they weren't running constantly. Another weird thing is that now my Battery Use list shows Maps, Internet, etc. It NEVER showed these things before, even after hours of internet usage. I guess this is normal, but I've never seen my battery drain this fast. It almost seems like by battery had been stuck in some good condition BEFORE I turned off the phone.

Is turning it off the same as resetting? Could it be possible that certain battery-draining settings were turned back on? I checked some things (like auto syncing) but they are still off.

Back
Top Bottom