• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life - The Good The Bad and The Ugly

Does your phone drop 10% quickly in the morning after a full night of charging?

• Yes

Votes: 436 79.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 74 13.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 40 7.3%

• Total voters
Watch out for the post police, they will get you. To answer your question.

Have you done a hard reset of your phone since the 2.2 update? This will take care of some of the issues, like the 100% uptime issue. Some things will still be broken, but hopefully they are working on them.

After that, definitely report any issue you are having to HTC and Sprint. The 2.2 upgrade really screwed up a lot of phones. Some people around this forum are suggesting limiting what your phone does to take care of the battery issues. I say "screw that!"

Sprint loads all kinds of crappy unwanted software on these phones that you cannot remove without rooting your phone. Contact them and be heard!

I hate long threads that have both updated and out dated information... Reading through 40 pages of outdated stuff just to figure out by page 50 that it's outdated is not a good way to spend your time...

The battery sticky is horrible... We've gotten not one, but two updates in between it already and even a leaked froyo in the middle of all that... The way stickies worked in this forum for a time was horrible when froyo was a couple of days away...

Moderators have a very hard job to do, updating stickies is not a fun job for volunteers... I won't hold them to it, but I really don't mind typing a few words to help people out EVER since I type about 80WPM... I use to have this fellow moderator that was the master searcher at my truck forum... The guy was amazing and linked an answer every time someone asked something... Still he would never call people names while doing it... Encourages search use, but knows it's not an easy task...

When I mod with him, I tried to do the same thing, but it's not easy using search... Bottom line back then with me is, if you want to say something to someone (never approved) at least help them in the process of calling them newbs or whatever, and vice versa for newbs calling out regulars...

As far as calling HTC and being back on topic goes... The phone is working, the life is just shorter than what most people want... HTC is not going to do anything... Stop bothering good working folk that could be answering more important one off problems...

Thanks for actually answering me with a legit answer zombdroid! So you are saying a hard reset removed the trickle charge issue for you?

And to all of you saying I shouldve have searched...I did and all of the battery posts have like 400 posts each...not going to read through all of the banter to get my question answered...give me a break.

I have been getting over 23 hours. I did the following:

1. Remove advance task killer. It doesn't work with froyo.

2. In the App drawer, click on "talk" and "sprint zone" uncheck all the notifications and auto sign-in boxes.

3. Unclick autosync in settings.

4. keep wifi on

4. Lower screen brightness. keep at 50% or below.

5. Disable "always on" mobile data. This is one of the biggest battery savers. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks. Tap "Enable always-on mobile data" to uncheck the box.

Thanks for actually answering me with a legit answer zombdroid! So you are saying a hard reset removed the trickle charge issue for you?

Yes. My battery life was about 4 hours with regular use before I did a hard reset. It is still not as good as pre Froyo update, but definitely better.

I am getting unbelievable battery life after removing ATK on my phone with 2.2. I was barely getting through a work day with it. Now I am only losing about 1% every hour! 3.5 hours later, I am at 92% but 3-4 % of that was loss after disconnecting the phone from the charger. WOOT!

Okay, Im trying to figure out what I can expect from my battery with the usual usage.

I have 3g on and gps. 4g is off and so is gtalk app. Phone is stock with few apps loaded on it.

Im losing about 10% an hour with what I would consider regular use. (texting a few times maybe a call here and there and a little showing off with the phone)

If its typical I can live with it, but I would be much happier with 5% ;)

i'm in the 80's with the phone off charger since about 7:30. i read some newspaper articles over lunch. maybe 40 minutes of actual use so far today. i'd turn off gps unless you need it to find yourself.

The GPS doesn't consume any battery unless you are actually using the GPS in conjunction with an app like Google Maps or Navigation. I have walked around with Wifi and GPS on all day long. The phone will still drain at 1% an hour while idling.

I thought GPS did drain your battery. Especially if you have Location turned on. That's kinda like saying 3G doesn't drain your battery if you don't have an actual app running, right? I mean it's still sending/receiving a signal isn't it.

10% hour? I'd love that!

Actually, I use the phone quite a lot, and at this point I have accepted that high battery drain is simply inevitable. But I can swap out the batteries, so no worries.

10%/hour... not bad. I get about 14-18 hours. I have most of the updates scheduled hourly, I have screen set to 85% brightness and to time out at 2mins, and I leave GPS and 3G or the WiFi's on all the time. I'd say im a pretty moderate user; one to two hours of web surfing, 30 mins on the phone, 50 or so texts, all on top of 3 email accounts and weather that update hourly. I'm VERY happy with the battery life! :)

The GPS doesn't consume any battery unless you are actually using the GPS in conjunction with an app like Google Maps or Navigation. I have walked around with Wifi and GPS on all day long. The phone will still drain at 1% an hour while idling.

I've witnessed this as well. If the compass icon is present, it means the GPS is on, but that's not the big battery drain. If you see the radar icon, then you know you're sucking juice. You can feel your evo get warm really quickly.

That said, any location-based app might sneak some quick GPS usage to get your current location, so you do save a little battery if you turn off GPS completely.

I've witnessed this as well. If the compass icon is present, it means the GPS is on, but that's not the big battery drain. If you see the radar icon, then you know you're sucking juice. You can feel your evo get warm really quickly.

That said, any location-based app might sneak some quick GPS usage to get your current location, so you do save a little battery if you turn off GPS completely.

Thanks for backing up my findings brother! As long as you don't see the radar icon/satellite dish emitting green rays on your top task bar your GPS isn't sucking battery life. Just as Novox77 put it.

I thought GPS did drain your battery. Especially if you have Location turned on. That's kinda like saying 3G doesn't drain your battery if you don't have an actual app running, right? I mean it's still sending/receiving a signal isn't it.

yes.. gps will not do anything even eat battery.. unless some app our user ask something from the phone.. that require it to find your exact location.

3G is different... because it must always try to have a connection. it will auto search for a connection.. or roam... eating battery till it find a connect.

so.. not the same!

Noob here and I haven't added to a lot of conversations (new baby along with my new baby EVO keeps me busy).

Anyway--thought I'd add this to the discussion if people are comparing battery life:

Up Time: 33:27:37
Awake Time: 4:31:19

50% battery left.

Charged overnight with the power on, saw the 8-10% drop first thing but okay since then.

No app killer, heavy internet use (for me, maybe moderate compared to most people) lots of Facebook and email, some streaming, some picture taking and emailing those. I do not use the Facebook app--once I stopped using that my battery life jumped. Even with the update it was keeping the phone awake.

I have seen tremendous improvement since Froyo but it was so close to when I got the phone so it could just be the battery conditioning effect.

I definitely can go morning to night with my normal use and not have to charge it.

Suddenly the last few days my battery has been terrible. I had always been so impressed. Did so well. I don't know what changed. I watch my Running Services, so it's not that. Haven't even downloaded any apps lately. I have Froyo since launch, but it was fine until just the last couple days. I'm baffled and frustrated.

1. Remove advance task killer. It doesn't work with froyo.

2. In the App drawer, click on "talk" and "sprint zone" uncheck all the notifications and auto sign-in boxes.

3. Unclick autosync in settings.

4. keep wifi on

4. Lower screen brightness. keep at 50% or below.

5. Disable "always on" mobile data. This is one of the biggest battery savers. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks. Tap "Enable always-on mobile data" to uncheck the box.

incase you didnt see this ^^^ I just got 1 day and 4 hours.
dancingcool.gif

So I got a cheap external charger to charge my 3000 mah Yoobao battery and soon realized that I could not charge the Yoobao in my phone to true 100%, nor can Seidio 3500 mah users. So I stuck my OEM 1500 mah in the external charger and swapped it in. It held onto 100% for more than 10 minutes, and is finally at 85% after 2 hrs and 24 minutes of light texting, some surfing, games, and some work in android moving apps to SD. Oh, and Google Talk and Google Voice have been on all this time along with background updates.

Needless to say, I really think the issue with our batteries is the Android battery management. I'm going to try what people call "calibration" for the 3000 mah Yoobao battery but I highly doubt it'll give any good results since it didn't seem to work for the OEM 1500 mah. From purely charging on the external charger, the Yoobao 3000 mah lasted over 38 hrs and probably could have lasted me 40 hrs or more to the 15% recharge warning. I am amazed at the difference the external charging provides.

Okay Ive tried charging on my usb and wall charger. When it hits 100% I unplug it and bam! 30-45 mins later Im at 80%!

4g is off. I have gps and 3g on. I have a stock phone with no app loaded beyond what it came with. I have Gtalk off and signed out, same with news and stocks. So Ive done most of the battery tips provided.

SO 20% in 35 mins is rather crazy!

Back
Top Bottom