• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bizarre battery problems cropped up during romming

OK guys. I calibrated my battery with battery calibration apk. I let it fully discharge and recharge back to 100%. Unplugged phone at 1AM with 100% and when I woke up at 9 AM my battery had drained down to 20%... Usually when i wake up its at around 75%-85%... And I'm running greenify which hibernates most of my apks. I looked at all three apps, wifi analyzer, android system info, and gsam battery. I didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary as far as any numbers I saw, but i know something can't be right... I guess I'll post some screenshots of those apps with the graphs and numbers that they contain. I don't really know what to do

Also, the battery seems to be charging now even with the screen on and running some apps. ?? Wasn't before, is now.

Upvote 0
Ok, you're not seeing the whole story yet.

From Android System Info, this is the shot I care about -

59148d1375551010-bizarre-battery-problems-cropped-up-during-romming-img_20130803_102342.jpg

Now, here's mine, taken with Gsam -

59157d1375557599-bizarre-battery-problems-cropped-up-during-romming-1375557598366.jpg

Overall, when your screen is off, your phone is mostly asleep - according to the awake bar.

You've got some blocks of awake time in there, that could be email, social apps, etc etc.

But - notice that in the first third of your graph, where your battery is falling - mine is holding rock steady, not dissipating.

So the battery bar is saying that something on your phone is actually awake.

So - the stats you have are necessary but not sufficient to tell us what we need to know.

The real deal is that while those graphs are handy, they'll mask out awake activities that are on/off, on/off super-short duration.

I suspect that you have those and that if we could zoom in on your graph, we'd see them.

Good news - let's pretend we saw them anyway and take the next step.

On your first Gsam page shown - % of power - tap that and choose wakelocks.

Please show me that screen next.

1375557598366.jpg

Upvote 0
Ok, interesting - two things.

First - I think you don't know about our app - is that so?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.androidforumscom

It makes posting screenshots a whole lot easier than with a browser - you don't have to edit for size or anything or hassle going from phone to PC.

Second - before I dig into your system wakelock stuff, please show me the screen to follow (give me a sec, I'm posting from my phone and my desk lol).

Reactions: Doc and greg schmeg
Upvote 0
Bingo.

Tap that arrow to the right on Google Services - no guarantees but let's see if we found it.

And by the way - consider running a day with Greenify uninstalled.

I'm not knocking the app - I'm just saying - no telling how that's interacting with the Android OOM (out of memory) manager in your configuration.

Upvote 0
OK I can disable it for a day but I must say, when I first started using it recently it seemed to help. But I will disable it now and will post screenshot in a moment

Easy does it.

Please take it a step at a time.

I've had the same problem with a battery as you before, 100% gone in 4 hours doing nothing, so I can dig the frustration and the desire to find it.

But it'll go just as quickly the better way.

Show me the thing I asked above first.

If we don't get anywhere, freeze Greenify, reboot, start Gsam, tap the home button, screen off, give it an hour, then let's see the same screens.

Like I said, I'm not knocking the app, your decisions or anything.

What I'm about is reducing various interactions as we go along and see what pops out.

My experience is that approach usually works.

Cool? :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones