• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] HTC Dev Unlock Help

Hmm I think I missed that part the first time yes I am looking at unknownforces guide

been awhile since ive looked at it,but its changed since i last saw it. you used to have to manually temp root and lower the main version,but looks to be part of the tool now.

did you use unknown force's dowload,or did you use closeone's live cd?

did you try to run the 1.13 ruu after the downgrade?

I was sort of looking at both......lol probably not the best idea I've ever had. I baught the phone for 40 with a bad esn and the touch screen has a dead spot. So I tend to be pretty open to trying things with it

Yes I tried running the ruu but the main version was still 2.95 so it didn't work

hmm i wonder why it didnt change your main version? :confused:

a couple options come to mind:
1)try closeones live CD. see if you have success with it. maybe ask in that thread about main version.

2)find a means of temp root so we can manually change main version. newest exploit that comes to mind is taco root,but i believe its patched in ICS. you can try if if youd like. you can get taco root,misc_version and some directions here: http://androidforums.com/incredible...y-downgrade-firmware-build-6-01-605-05-a.html

thats the inc 2 forum,but the basic concept is the same. you wont need to bother with the md5sums of the inc 2 radio and ruu,wich really are the only inc2 specific things.

im off to work,but feel free to scour the internet for some other means of temp rootign your build :)

ok i just tried to use unknownforces tool from my linux box instead of the live dvd. it fails to write the misc partition. i'm guessing thats why it dosent change the mainversion if the cd uses the same method. looks like someone else on xda has the same problem too. i just havent made even one post on xda so i cant post a question in the thread

I'd say that you are right. Assuming that the image flash failed before the phone brick, then I'd say that taco root is no longer working. :(

I'd say that you are right. Assuming that the image flash failed before the phone brick, then I'd say that taco root is no longer working. :(

So I guess my problem is still that I can't unlock through HTC dev if I got that working everything else would fall into place. Assuming the others on 2.95 got unlocked first

So I guess my problem is still that I can't unlock through HTC dev if I got that working everything else would fall into place. Assuming the others on 2.95 got unlocked first

yes. everything would be good if you could unlock. i have had this same issue youre having when trying to unlock the bootloader on an att one x with a modified image(mmcblk0p4,IIRC). flashing back the original fixed it.

something is not right in your firmware. running the ruu would likely fix,as it has in the past. we are just stuck without the RUU. or at least a different means of temp root :(

yes. everything would be good if you could unlock. i have had this same issue youre having when trying to unlock the bootloader on an att one x with a modified image. flashing back the original fixed it.

something is not right in your firmware. running the ruu would likely fix,as it has in the past. we are just stuck without the RUU. or at least a different means of temp root :(

Hmm maybe I should have asked htcdev for a 2.95 ruu...it'd benefit more then just me

I doubt they would give it to you,but if they did it would be awesome :)

I really dont understand why they dont release them all. with the security checks s on phones do,folks really need them

Update: Found a tool on xda called SRSRoot and started playing... my phone is about useless right now but..... i seem to have a root shell # still no su binary and no superuser app.... how would i go about changing the mainver?

Update: Found a tool on xda called SRSRoot and started playing... my phone is about useless right now but..... i seem to have a root shell # still no su binary and no superuser app.... how would i go about changing the mainver?

excellente! :D

use the download(miniadb_inc2) from the link above(http://androidforums.com/incredible...y-downgrade-firmware-build-6-01-605-05-a.html). then use these commands:

md5sums misc_version should return 050f55d34ddbcc860efa5982491437de

adb devices should return your phones serial number. indicating drivers are working,and youre connected.

adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version

adb shell should change your prompt to a #if not,have your phone awake and watch the screen to grant superuser permissions when you enter su

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version *have your phone awake and be watching it,incase superuser needs you to grant permission

/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.00.000.0

exit exit again if your promt changes to a $

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices again,this should output your serial number,indicating youre connected and drivers are working

fastboot getvar mainver it should output 1.00.000.0

at that point(assuming the main version changed),you can do whatever it takes to restore the phone to working condition,and downgrade the hboot again. this time,the 1.13 ruu should work,and when its done,you can run revolutionary and jump right to s off :cool:

C:\SDK>fastboot getvar mainver
mainver: 1.00.000.0
finished. total time: 0.009s

:D looks like that worked!
i'll update shortly after i retry downgrading my hboot and running the 1.13 ruu

1.13 RUU worked flawlessly as well and now i'm on 1.40 hboot running 1.13 software... wow gingerbread lol. too bad i wont have time to go farther untill tonight

Just had a thought...... I might not be the first to get 2.95 unlocked and s-off but I might be the first to get it without HTC dev. Also it was my understanding once I have s-off taking an ota update was a bad thing is that correct?

Just had a thought...... I might not be the first to get 2.95 unlocked and s-off but I might be the first to get it without HTC dev. Also it was my understanding once I have s-off taking an ota update was a bad thing is that correct?

you may be the first. your persistance and determination has been fun to watch. :cool:

as for OTAs,being s-off in itself wont keep you from accepting OTAs. the state of your phone is more what determines that. several factors need to be correct to recieve OTAs-the stock recovery,stock apps,being on the correct release firmware to trigger the OTA,plus others we prolly dont know of :eek:

so... if you run an ruu and are 100% stock,but s off,the OTA will happen just fine.

if youre running a much modded rom,and/or running a custom recovery,the OTA can do anythig from fail to casue potentially unrecoverable bootloops.

so the more accurate statement is "do not ever accept an OTA while running custom roms,or running a custom recovery"

also,can you please link the tool/process you used for temp root? also any tips you have that may help folks. that would definately be good info to share(even tho they need to be willing to do the brick downgrade to take full advantage)

excellente! :D

use the download(miniadb_inc2) from the link above(http://androidforums.com/incredible...y-downgrade-firmware-build-6-01-605-05-a.html). then use these commands:

md5sums misc_version should return 050f55d34ddbcc860efa5982491437de

adb devices should return your phones serial number. indicating drivers are working,and youre connected.

adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp/misc_version

adb shell should change your prompt to a #if not,have your phone awake and watch the screen to grant superuser permissions when you enter su

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version *have your phone awake and be watching it,incase superuser needs you to grant permission

/data/local/tmp/misc_version -s 1.00.000.0

exit exit again if your promt changes to a $

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices again,this should output your serial number,indicating youre connected and drivers are working

fastboot getvar mainver it should output 1.00.000.0

at that point(assuming the main version changed),you can do whatever it takes to restore the phone to working condition,and downgrade the hboot again. this time,the 1.13 ruu should work,and when its done,you can run revolutionary and jump right to s off :cool:

Would that work for the VM Evo V 4G? The same thing as the Evo 3D but for VM. A lot of ppl that are S-On use the exact same hboot now on the most recent March ota putting us on 1.58 hboot. So would those instructions work for our phone but then actually using a different RUU? Could you use any RUU after that main ver downgrade?

Would that work for the VM Evo V 4G? The same thing as the Evo 3D but for VM. A lot of ppl that are S-On use the exact same hboot now on the most recent March ota putting us on 1.58 hboot. So would those instructions work for our phone but then actually using a different RUU? Could you use any RUU after that main ver downgrade?

as soon as wraith posts his temp root method,it should definately work to change the main version. you wont be able to downgrade to builds using different hboots,unless you jump in with both feet and do the hboot downgrade as he did. i *think* the hboot downgrade whould work as well,the hardware is the same,and the evo V does have a build using 1.4 hboot,corect? if not,then im a little uncertain what would happen if you downgraded to it :eek:

and the evo V does have a build using 1.4 hboot,corect? if not,then im a little uncertain what would happen if you downgraded to it :eek:
Nope :)

The original release was hboot 1.57 while the 3vo was on 1.58. Then the second ota put it on the same 1.58 hboot.

My gut tells me that it would still work because as far as I know, all the hboots are compatible but I can't slap a guarantee on that.

hmmm,so the evo v came to existance post gingerbread?

has anyone ever flashed the 1.13 ruu on an s off evo v?

i *think* it would work also,but id hate to see someone brick their phone trying it.

hmmm,so the evo v came to existance post gingerbread?

has anyone ever flashed the 1.13 ruu on an s off evo v?

i *think* it would work also,but id hate to see someone brick their phone trying it.

You are correct. It came with ics. Basically I think they just took old sprint 3vos and rebranded them. I'm pretty sure running a sprint ruu would be fine as they use the same radios and currently the same hboot. It would however break mms and things I'm pretty sure, just like when they flash a sprint version of a rom they have to do an mms fix.

Only way to find out for sure is to find someone who wouldn't mind bricking if for some reason things went horribly wrong. Maybe someone who has a new device and willing to risk it for the good of development :)

i used SRSroot, it was supposed to perm root the phone but it didn't work exactly right.

what i did:

1. Run SRSroot
2. SmartRoot
3. follow directions up till it reboots the phone
4. the phone should start up but the only thing showing will be the status bar at the top
5. close SRSroot
6. Open Command prompt and start adb shell, it should give you a # at this point
7. follow scottys instructions to set mainver
8. follow unknownforces guide to downgrade hboot to 1.4
9. run 1.13 ruu

what i'm wondering is if once i set mainver low. would 1.13 ruu work and flash the 1.4 hboot without haveing to downgrade first....

Back
Top Bottom